Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Complimenting amazing hair

Default Complimenting amazing hair

Hello everyone,
    I was at an annual business summit meeting in Tennessee last week and a lady caught my eye due to her absolutely amazing long, incredibly thick, wavy red hair, which was a little longer than hip length. The sheer volume was astounding. She had two locks draped over her chest, each about as thick as an average head of hair, and then this massive cloak that seemed to be endlessly deep hanging down her back.

I've never approached a stranger before, but I felt like I had to at least let her know someone appreciated what she had going on there. I eventually did work up the courage to stammer out a few compliments at a bar we had all gone to after our meetings were over.

She graciously thanked me in return. Realizing how hard my heart was beating suddenly (I was more nervous then than I get when I present to a group of hundreds of strangers), I decided to leave her alone before I made too big a fool of myself or creeped her out somehow. I was so worried about all that, that I forgot to even introduce myself, ask her name or what her job was (being a business event, introductions are expected). What an angel though. Here's hoping I at least kept her motivated to keep the faith.

If she's a member here and reads this, I'm sorry if I startled you or anything! Like I said, I've never done anything like that before.

Length
    short/41/45"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Complimenting amazing hair

um hi, welcome to lhc.. usually here we like to introduce ourselves and state our hair goals first..

i compliment strangers all the time, it gets easier with practice..

and we usually state how long our starting length is, for instance my hair started at pixy, my goal is classic, and i am 4 inches away
    can i call this classic length

Length
    24"/30"/45"
    Type
    1b/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by squiggyflop View Post
    um hi, welcome to lhc.. usually here we like to introduce ourselves and state our hair goals first..

i compliment strangers all the time, it gets easier with practice..

and we usually state how long our starting length is, for instance my hair started at pixy, my goal is classic, and i am 4 inches away
    Squiggyflop, just so you know, this comment sounds a little offensive. I know you didn't mean it that way!

To OP- I think anyone will be happy to receive a compliment! It's okay if you sound a little awkward, the person will be very happy to hear you say something nice to them.

Length
    short/41/45"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

sorry, i didnt mean it to be offensive.. i was just a little confused by his post, since its the first post he has made, and there wasnt a question in it so i wasnt sure what i was supposed to be saying.. but i wanted to respond because he is so new i wanted him to feel welcomed.. ive never been good with words have i?
    can i call this classic length

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I think your comment was fine squiggyflop. People usually appreciate tips on how to fit into a group they've decided to join.

I don't go out of my way to compliment someone, but if the person I've noticed and I happen to be in the same space I will definitely say something like "your hair looks great! I like the length."

Length
    7/knee/knee
    Type
    1a/F/i

depends on the situation, if the person is comfotable with it complimenting is okay

Length
    BSL/BCL/CLAS
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

I agree that there is nothing offensive with what Squiggyflop said.

I find the OP's post a little creepy, considering it's their first.
    Stop cruelty to apostrophe's.

Length
    22/33/36
    Type
    2c/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by IcarusBride View Post
    Squiggyflop, just so you know, this comment sounds a little offensive. I know you didn't mean it that way!

To OP- I think anyone will be happy to receive a compliment! It's okay if you sound a little awkward, the person will be very happy to hear you say something nice to them.
    I agree with you, I thought it was just a tad offensive. If that had been my first post and someone said this to me, I wouldn't have came back. I know you didn't mean it that way, but how do we know that she wasn't just browsing through the LHC for months? I often only browse without posting.

Quote Originally Posted by chopandchange View Post
    I agree that there is nothing offensive with what Squiggyflop said.

I find the OP's post a little creepy, considering it's their first.
    To me, it just sounded like she wanted to do what I see many others doing on this forum, calling out when they have a "long hair sighting".
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle
    apl-bsl-waist-hip

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I don't like receiving compliments on my appearance even from people I know in a professional setting. My reaction is, I am not the bride or the birthday girl here, so can we please just focus on what's in my head and not on it? It would never occur to me to make comments about my male colleagues' ties, socks, combovers, or whatever else they are wearing on their person. I wish they would stick to complimenting their wives or whoever and keep it strictly business at work.

Length
    < apl/calf/floor
    Type
    2a/F/ii

The original poster is a male and has been on this site since July 2010 without making any other posts.

Call me squicked out as well considering this is a first post and the overly effusive language that is used. I had to go back twice and look at the beginning to see if I missed the words: Dear Penthouse ......
    Like I said, I've never done anything like that before.
    Um, yeah.
    Last edited by Eboshi; January 30th, 2011 at 12:47 PM. Reason: taking out duplicate language "this is a first post"
    Lady Eboshi from Princess Mononoke