Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This may provoke a jealous mob, but...

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Default This may provoke a jealous mob, but...

Is it possible to not get split ends? I mean, I've never been hardcore about this whole S&D thing. Heck, I've honestly never done it. But the random moments when I am examining/playing my ends, I haven't seen anything similar to a split end. I just see tapered new growth ends, or blunt ends from my last trim.
    My hair is only BSL and I'm aiming for TBL at least, if not classic. Maybe split ends happen more at certain lengths? Or am I not looking hard enough?

Length
    2/26/~30
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

Default Re: This may provoke an jealous mob, but...

Why not? If you look for and don't find them they are very probably not there

And logically, the longer hair the more chance it will split cause it's been exposed to damaging factors for longer time. But it also depends on individual strength/thickness/routine/whatever.
    Last edited by milagro; January 26th, 2011 at 12:10 PM. Reason: spelling

Hair is like cat. You can't really tame it, you just have to care and enjoy.

Length
    SL/short/??
    Type
    3a/M/C/iii

I had no splits at BSL either. Now that I'm past waist, they pop up all the time and I have to keep S&Ding and trimming. So length is certainly a factor. You may just have really strong, healthy hair though. If ends have been damaged, they're more likely to split and fray over time.

Type
    2b/M/iii

Split ends are a fact of life. You're bound to have some variety of split - somewhere on your head. Of course you can trim them away, but hair is not indestructible and will eventually split. The harder you are on your hair, the more likelihood of splits occuring.

Length
    22/31/term
    Type
    2c/F/i

Kaya, do you brush or comb your hair?
    I think its true what others said which is that if your hair is really healthy it shouldn't split much at all. My ends which are a product of my old shampoo everyday routine and are dry and therefore when I brush or comb they tangle and then can be easily snapped.
    But when the hair is healthy and moisturized it doesn't tangle as much and then when you comb or brush it the hair isn't prone to breaking.
    That's my guess. That is why I'm trying to use more gentle cleansing methods so that by the time my hair is five years old its not completly dried out.
    I believe that is how people achieve the long lengths.
    Some people do have really thick hair strands though and that helps. If your hair is fine then it can break or dry out more easily.
    That's my guess? I don't know for sure though.

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

I started getting splits at BSL but the longer you get, the more you find. Older hair can be like 5 years old on the ends, weather, manipulation etc cause splits.

For somebody to find them at shorter than bsl id put down to damage from dyes, bleach etc.

Good for you if are not finding any but it is possible for hair to split, up the hair shaft where you cannot see them, splits do not always happen on the ends.

But you are obviously doing something right if you can't find any.
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    20"/Hip/clsc
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii/iii

I haven't had a trim or S&D for three+ years and I have very few split ends... but my hair is a bit coarse, they are there somewhere I just don't look for them

Length
    2/26/~30
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

Rabya-Khadija, now you're the one who should be jealously mobbed!

Hair is like cat. You can't really tame it, you just have to care and enjoy.

Length
    20"/Hip/clsc
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii/iii

Haha! Maybe not

I have known people with hair beyond waist that had few or no splits. At that point they were maintaining so they did get trims every so often.

Also I think it has to do with your hair. For example virgin hair that is never touched with heat appliances is probably not as prone to hair that is treated with chemicals etc.
    Also hair texture etc comes into play.
    Missing person advocates and crime discussion
    http://www.justicequest.net/forums