Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dry ends... deep conditioner?

Length
    Chin/25/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Dry ends... deep conditioner?

My ends are feeling especially dry the last couple of days. They feel crunchy and not pleasant at all. I think I need to try a leave in deep conditioning treatment. Going to the grocery store later tonight and figured I'd pop by the hair products or organic products aisle and see what I can find.

Any recommendations? My hair seems to be breaking quite easily and I'm finding lots of splits as I grow out a few inches of highlight damage from a year ago. Protein-free would be great. Unless I need it? I'm quite confused by the moisture vs protein threads I've seen! My hair seems to fall in most of each category! Thanks so much!

Type
    2b/M/iii

Default Re: Dry ends... deep conditioner?

Maybe you could check out the reviews here at LHC and see what others recommend.

The Aussie DEEEP conditioning product seemed to have several favorable reviews. I haven't used it myself but bought my first bottle to try after my GM product is finished.

Length
    Waist/BSL/???
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii

If your hair is on the fine side it may benefit from protein but for the dry ends I would avoid protein which could make them drier. Coconut oil or castor oil is my old standby for dry, crunch ends. If I let a few drops of castor oil sit in my ends for about an hour then wash it out they feel so much better when they dry.

Length
    Chin/25/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by christine1989 View Post
    If your hair is on the fine side it may benefit from protein but for the dry ends I would avoid protein which could make them drier. Coconut oil or castor oil is my old standby for dry, crunch ends. If I let a few drops of castor oil sit in my ends for about an hour then wash it out they feel so much better when they dry.
    Yes, I use coconut oil every day on my ends and length. At the moment though it's feeling more like a bandaid. It hides the problem but doesn't last really.

Not sure what I could be doing wrong or if it's just past damage. I CO and then CWC 2-3 times a week. A coney conditioner since my hair seems to like that. And on CWC days, an organic conditioner, an organic shampoo, and then my coney conditioner (otherwise it feels like crap).

Thank you though!

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    Bald/Knees/Dunno
    Type
    1b/C/iii

I find that some light protein followed right after with a moisture treatment seems to help my hair bind more moisture than without, so that might be worth a try

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Id clarify a few times and see if this changes anything, then id move onto Igor's suggestion of a protein treatment followed by a DC. If there's no change after doing this then maybe the lightest dusting of the ends will help. Its surprising but just taking the teeniest bit like ----> _ this much can make such a huge difference.
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    BSL/APL/Waist
    Type
    2a/F/ii

It differs from person to person, but I find that what works best for me is just a deep coconut oiling.
    That natural company, Yes To Carrots has a deep conditioning mask I've been wanting to try, but I haven't used it myself yet so can't say what it's like...
    Lady Móreadhiel, Whisperer and Guardian to the Creatures of Silence in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.
    pixie-jaw-shoulder-APL-BSL-WAIST!

Length
    19ish/Hip/term.
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

Nothing to add but I will be watching this with interest as my ends are behaving the same way as the OP's.
    ☼ Lady Saule, Spinner of Sunlight in the Order of Long Haired Knights ☼
    LHC: The Few .. The Proud ..The Vaguely Creepy

Length
    Chin/APL/waist
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Deep helps my hair out, as does hot oil treatments with plain old olive oil.

Regular S+Ds, if you've the patience for them, will help slightly, but it may be that you are just going to have to get a trim. I actually had two inches of pure damage cut off last month and the number of splits found since then has been far, far lower than in previous months.
    Two roads diverged in a wood and I, I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.

Length
    23 in/29 in/34 in
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Clarify first. Then do an SMT weekly. I find it takes time for my hair to absorb moisture.