Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Save or Splurge??

Growing by Benign Neglect In2wishin's Avatar
    Length
    15/BSL/TB
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Save or Splurge??

MSN Money had an interesting article about the beauty things we buy and which ones we should splurge on high end brands and which products you can save by buying "Drugstore" brands. It is an annoying slideshow so I will sum up:

Splurge on:

Hair Brush (mentioned MP)
    Hair dryers and heat stylers
    Makeup Brushes
    Moisturizer
    Foundation
    Tweezers and Eyelash curlers
    Anti-Aging Night Cream
    Anything you can't get anywhere else

Save on:

Shampoo and conditioner
    Products with SPF
    Eye Makeup Remover
    Mascara
    Toners
    Cold Cream

If you want to actually read it: http://lifestyle.msn.com/your-look/y...Moisturizer%20

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Save or Splurge??

Interesting how at the top of an article for all sorts of make-up and anti-ageing type things, they have a little graphic link for 'real beauty.' Hmm.

</cynicism>

Length
    APL/Knee/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I didn't read the original because I'm on my phone but I have to disagree with most of that. Cheap mascara and eye make-up remover isn't an option for many people with sensitive eyes.

A lot of make-up artists are recommending cheap brushes as long as the glue holding the ferrule on is good.

As for the hair things, my Tangle Teezer is a lot better than I imagine any Mason Pearson could be for me.
    Mind you, they it right with the shampoo and condish in my opinion.

It's funny how what is great for some one is terrible for someone else. I'll read the whole thing tomorrow to see if I change my mind but I doubt it.
    Finally at knee, with a new quest for thick ends!
    📸 Hairstagram

Length
    Chin/APL/waist
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

I think that they were talking about cheap = drugstore and grocery store stuff, and splurge = makeup counters and Sephora.

(I, for one, do not find Neutrogena the cheapest out there, but that's one brand that is being used as the cheap brand)

Although spending more on tweezers? No thanks! I can get just as good results with the six dollars I spent on the tweezers and a 10x magnifying mirror as I could with the thirty dollars spent on a different pair of tweezers.
    Two roads diverged in a wood and I, I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    Bald/Knees/Dunno
    Type
    1b/C/iii

I tend to agree. A conditioner doesn’t go ten times better from being ten times more expensive. I go for the middle priced range at supermarkets, usually what is on sale

Length
    hip/hip/hurra
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Normally I'm a buy-everything-at-Neiman's girl, but I purposely bought a cheapo department store hair dryer so I could get a lower wattage. The high-end stuff is all industrial-strength, burn-everything-in-its-path-to-a-crisp-if-only-I-could-lift-it-good-thing-it's-far-too-heavy type monstrosities! (^(oo)^)v
    I'm a little piggy! (^(oo)^)v

Length
    hip/hip/hurra
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Bast View Post
    Although spending more on tweezers? No thanks! I can get just as good results with the six dollars I spent on the tweezers and a 10x magnifying mirror as I could with the thirty dollars spent on a different pair of tweezers.
    The best tweezers I've ever used are the ones I bought for $0.50 at a Chinese restaurant supply store.
    I'm a little piggy! (^(oo)^)v

I go with the cheapest suave-o out there, shampoo and condish - but it's waaaay dilute and followed with a lemon rinse. Works fer me.

Length
    Waist/BSL/???
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii

Most of my products are on the expensive side but they are ones that last a long time which makes it worthwhile.

Length
    25.5/29/35

i don't really like to "save" on stuff that goes on my hair/scalp/face/eyes. i mean, i won't pay unreasonable prices for items that are just marked up, like crazy expensive brands with the same ingredients as every other brand, but i won't purposely search out the cheapest things i can find, for things that go on sensitive skin!