Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's Too Thick!

Length
    20/23/?
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Default It's Too Thick!

It has been a while since I posted.

But my hair is too thick. 4.5 inches ponytail.

Granted if its down it's not that thick at the ends but man it gets hot down. I haven't worn my hair down...probably since the winter (on a really cold day) and the whole reason I got it cut like I did last time is to wear it down.

But with it down I end up sweating a lot and my hair ends up plastered to my head, so my hair is always back in a ponytail.

I've actually been tempted to cut it really short, because that is a lot cooler than my hair right now.

EDIT: I guess what I'm asking is if there is anything I can do to make it cooler (thinning it does work but only for a little while) and also just ranting.

Length
    long/55.5/long
    Type
    2c/C/iii

Hii ammorgan
    Is it still hot when you put it up?Or you want to wear it down and want it cooler when down?
    I mean I shaved from my ears down a year or so ago and it felt much lighter but I'm having horrible days trying to grow it out. Thinning might be an option for lightening but it won't cool it if you wear your hair down because the hair on your neck will be still bothering you.I suggest to keep putting it up.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Buns! French twists! Braids that start high. Get your hair off your neck when you're too warm, and you'll be a lot happier. Hair is also a lot less insulating when it's gathered snugly against your head than when it's down. Moistening your hair before or after you put it up might also make you cooler.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    20/23/?
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Nope not hot when I put it up, not to mention I can use my ponytail as a built in fan LOL.

It would be nice to be able to wear it down sometimes, I always put it into a ponytail, never anything else. I wake up and I grab my ponytail holder and put my hair up, and it stays up (unless my hair starts coming out and I redo my ponytail) until I go to bed.

My hair is layered so sometimes parts of it come out of the ponytail which is tons of fun!

Length
    14/24/40
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

As somebody with relatively thick hair who is growing it out from VERY short, I have to say that it is cooler to put your hair up than to have it short - with very short hair (unless you buzz cut it) there is always a thick layer around your head that traps the air and keeps it warm, whereas with hair that is up you keep it closer to the head and off your neck so it is cooler.
    It was a BIG relief to me when I could finally pull my hair up and I found it so much cooler.
    Also if you have very thick hair, short hair can be a nightmare.

I hope you work it out soon!
    Lady Cryollaee of the Honored Woodlands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    The Goal: No trimming until waist (2013)

Length
    26-31/Chin/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Let me tell you that even thin hair is hot while down. Even if you got rid of half your hair, it might be slighly cooler, but it'd still be quite uncomfortable.
    (Student) trapeze artist, acrobat, contortionist and more. Check out me and my partner here!

Inadvertent Tech Support snowbear's Avatar
    Length
    42/Short/N/A
    Type
    3a/F/M/iii

My hair is hip-length and 5" (when compacted), and what works for me are updos and wet hair. Thin hair and thick hair have their own sets of issues.
    The formerly mythical snowbear is alive and well.
    Be smarter, daily!

Length
    Shldr/Waist/Clasc
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Well, if you just want to make it less thick then do a half-up bun. There'll be less hair on your neck. However, if you really want to stay cool then I'd say a full updo is your best bet.

Length
    15"/36"/35ish
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/iii

I work outside a lot and tend to use the ol' ponytail holder quite often. When my hair was cut into a nice short bob, it was somewhat cool, but once it grew further down covering my neck it was horrendously hot! And I couldn't do anything with it... no ponytail/braid or anything! Updos or in a ponytail or braid is really the only thing that keeps me cool in the summer.

Have you considered half -ups? Your hair would still be down, but getting it off/out of your face might help, eh?

you beat me to the half-up before I could post anna1850!
    Last edited by Paniscus; May 2nd, 2008 at 06:25 PM. Reason: just making a note.

Length
    27/36"/long
    Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

I wish I still had thick hair to complain about! You are lucky that you have so much hair!
    Pegasus Marsters 117th wife
    Life is like a hot bath...the longer you stay in it, the more wrinkled you get.