Thread: What are some 'protein' conditioners?

Length
    3/WST/Fanny
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default What are some 'protein' conditioners?

What do I look for in the ingredients? I'm trying to figure out what my hair is missing and I'd like to try one that is heavy in proteins to see what happens.

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

Default Re: What are some 'protein' conditioners?

A cheap one is the coconut Suave. This is my favorite smelling Suave and my hair hates all things protein, so I cannot use it!

It can either say things like wheat protein, silk protein or something more subtle like amino acids...
    Change is the only constant.

BeyondClassic Webmistress Cinnamon Hair's Avatar
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

In addition to the ingredients ravenreed mentioned, look for anything "hydrolyzed" or "keratin".

how do you know whether your hair likes protein or not? what types of conditioners don't have protein?

has left the building
    Length
    short/22/waist

Aubrey organics gbp, trader joe's nourish...
    [SIGP

Length
    3/WST/Fanny
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Well it looks like just by luck I'm picking the protein ones. I have that aubrey organics one and the burt's bees has a bunch of those proteins in it. Maybe I should try one without proteins then...

Length
    shldr/waist/hip
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

What is it that your hair is missing? If you need protein your hair will stretch and then snap when it is wet. If you need moisture your hair will be brittle and feel like hay when it dries. Here's an article about protein and moisture which will explain it much better than I could: http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ge=true&cat=69

One thing I'd like to add is that your hair's porosity will effect how much protein you need to give your hair. If you have used chemical dyes in the past it is very likely that your hair is more porous than it should be. Porous hair generally needs more protein.
    01/07/2010, now at waist length (30").
    I'm a work in progress.

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

When I use anything with protein, my ends turn into velcro, and feel like straw. It is hard to explain, but crispy comes to mind. And talk about tangles!

I use other Suave conditioners that do not have protein; off the top of my head, I think only the coconut one has it.

Quote Originally Posted by susiet88 View Post
    how do you know whether your hair likes protein or not? what types of conditioners don't have protein?
    Change is the only constant.

Length
    3/WST/Fanny
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by rogue_psyche View Post
    What is it that your hair is missing? If you need protein your hair will stretch and then snap when it is wet. If you need moisture your hair will be brittle and feel like hay when it dries. Here's an article about protein and moisture which will explain it much better than I could: http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ge=true&cat=69

One thing I'd like to add is that your hair's porosity will effect how much protein you need to give your hair. If you have used chemical dyes in the past it is very likely that your hair is more porous than it should be. Porous hair generally needs more protein.
    That is a great article and helped a ton!
    I grabbed one of my shed hairs and it stretched and stretched so...more protein. I just happened to get their recommended keratin treatment last week on a whim from Sally. I'm growing out highlighted hair so I feel like I have Jekyll and Hyde hair. It looks like I'm on the right path...just need some fine tuning.
    Thanks!