Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad to always wear hair up?

Length
    20"/34"/39.5"
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Default Bad to always wear hair up?

I have to wear my hair up for my work and they are particular about hair items matching hair and all that.

Are the elastics I'm wearing hurting my hair? Does anyone have a good idea for and updo thats conservative with minimal damage?

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Bad to always wear hair up?

A French twist held with a Ficcare clip.
    1b F ii/iii
    92cm/36.2"

Length
    9in/20in/3ft
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I wear the Goodys no damage elastics, and I generally don't have any problems as far as damage from that. Infact, alot of us have found out that keeping your hair up most of the time is a way to keep your hair safe from damage. You could also try a traditional bun. I think as long as your not tying your elastics to tight and using rubberbands, you should be ok. Good luck!

Long Haired Bible Thumper Debra83's Avatar
    Length
    ear/bsl/HIP
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenwaves 88 View Post
    I have to wear my hair up for my work and they are particular about hair items matching hair and all that.

Are the elastics I'm wearing hurting my hair? Does anyone have a good idea for and updo thats conservative with minimal damage?
    Good grief!!! Where (what type of place) do you work?
    Debra LHBT
    December 25, 2013 - length check -12t/1 cut
    Lady Aedos of the Pureheart Grace in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    <2"/~clsc/uhh..
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Sometimes doing stuff like wearing a ponytail in the same location over and over runs the risk of damage where the tie is, even if it's not screaming tight. I'd just see what works for you. I've had a lot more success with bunning a braid versus just a cinnabun, and both those are better than wearing a braid down my back where it gets rubbed around and super duper fluffy. I would just say try things and see what you feel works best for you.

Length
    chin/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

As long as you vary your style a little so the elastic is not always in the same place, wearing your hair up can be better for your hair than wearing it down.

Look in the articles section and you can learn all kinds of updos that need no elastic at all, even more hair safe. Your hair is long enough that you have lots of options.

Banned
    Length
    20 In/27 In/thigh
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

i concur with everyone here. try bunning or braided buns. i've been wearing my hair up in either a bun or braided bun for almost a year and have seen not just less damage but less tangles. i use goody no ouch elastics to hold my braid tassel and use ballerina bands/elastic bands covered with cloth, and hair sticks. also use a hair fork. try all you want, as i've learned trying helps you find the perfect item to hold your hair up and keep it safe and tangle free.

I think wearing it up is a lot less damaging than wearing it down so long as you vary your style occasionally don't pull it back really tight, use a lot of hair spray or metal/snagging hair ties you could pretty much get away with anything.

Length
    22/37/34 +
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Can you alternate between pins, elastics, sticks and clips?

The hair is the richest ornament of women.~Martin Luther Avatar photo Oct 2008, Signature Sept. 2011

Length
    1/class/?
    Type
    1a/M/ii

If you need something invisible, switch to amish pins (stainless) or regular u-shaped pins (they are available in different somewhat hair-matching colours) or bunhead pins (from dance/ballet supply). They all work similar but some prefer the ones over the others. Much less mechanically damaging than any elastic can be.
    The bun itself also gets much neater and not as messy/bumpy as with elastics... they also distribute the weight much better in case you´re prone to headaches.

It´s not bad to always wear ones hair up in general, but it is bad if you secure it the wrong way and wear it like that every day.
    Needless to say that I had a lot of elastic-breakage in my early teens