Thread: Does anyone else have hair that doesn't like conditioner?

Length
    CBL/APL/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Does anyone else have hair that doesn't like conditioner?

I've not seen this issue mentioned before, but I'm a little baffled. I've moved away from sulfates and silicones, and the frizz lately has been colossal. I've tried a bunch of stuff - nothing does work - but the surprising thing was how the frizz gets worse with conditioner. I dropped all attempts to use conditioner 2-3 weeks ago and though there's still frizz, it seems to be settling. So I'm just curious - does anyone else find conditioner to just not work or even cause frizz?

Length
    Bob/Waist/Ankle
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Does anyone else have hair that doesn't like conditioner?

I don’t use conditioner, not due to frizz, but due to it weighing my hair down and making it look dirty.

45.5" - mid-thigh
    Here I Grow Again
    Amanda

Length
    CBL/APL/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I always thought conditioner just added slip and kept my hair from getting crispy. But now, yes, I definitely find it makes my hair dirty faster. Overall, it doesn't seem to add any moisture, it feels slimy when I apply and stays slimy after I rinse out. If I use a leave-in, it takes forever for my hair to dry. And the frizz is just out of control. One of the very worst things I have done is spritz with some water/conditioner to reset my hair on a non-wash day - it produces instant frizz. I tried an SMT - it did absolutely nothing. It's just so weird.

Length
    BSL/Hip/?
    Type
    3c/4a/M/ii/iii

I just used DIY stuff because of allergies.
    Kay , BSL > MBL > Waist > Hip

Length
    BSL/Waist/Undef
    Type
    1a/F/ii/iii

I don't use conditioner bc I don't think it does enough -- I always use a hair mask. Do you do that too or do you just skip that bit alltogether? Shampoo and then straight to styling?
    Maybe the case isn't that it's doing harm, but that it's not doing what you need. Have you had this result w more than one conditioner?

If you have processed hair or hair that's damaged in any way(heat, sun, hard water etc) I'd personally and professionally advise against dropping the 'cones unless it's like a lifestyle change and you don't want them for reasons relating to that. BTW, that could be the fault of hard water, too.

--

Such pretty hair in your siggie, AmandaPanda!!
    @morganazoric on Ig | @morganazor on TikTok

July-december 2023 benign neglect challenge(no trimming).

Length
    long/term/term
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

My hair always seemed to be happy enough with conditioner, but *I* was not happy with my hair when I used it. Already flat and thin, conditioner just accentuated that and it was pathetic looking but very soft. I need any frizz I can get just for volume!
    Opting out of Friend Requests, thank you very much!