Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The itch to dye/ choosing your hair color...

Length
    12/20/26
    Type
    1a/F/i

Default The itch to dye/ choosing your hair color...

So I've sworn off hair dye for the past few months and had decided to grow out all the dye & damage (I've been dyeing my dark blonde hair to a dark brown/black for about 7 years). BUT I ended up looking through old photos today and realized that I love the way I look with dark hair. For contrast I found a photo of me with my natural color, and I hated it.

Also, I want waist length hair. I'm just past APL right now, but only have about an inch of roots. Continuing to dye my hair means I'll get to waist that much quicker! Is that a good reason for continuing to dye? :P

I don't really know what to do! I'm so torn.
    Advice/personal experience stories are much appreciated!

Length
    SHL/SHL/APL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Default Re: The itch to dye/ choosing your hair color...

I think ultimately you need to make yourself happy. That being said, when was the last time you saw your natural color? If it was years ago, chances are it has darkened.

I am 13 months into the growing out process...I know how hard it is the first 6 - 9 months are a killer. I had lots of weak moments - but the idea of seeing what my natural color really was kept me going plus seeing the quality of the roots..so shiny and soft. My hair turned out being not at all the color the roots appeared to be. So you never know until the growth is at least ear level. LHC kept me going and I am so happy that I have come this far.

Can you maybe wait 6 months before deciding? I know...it is really really hard. I just don't want you to make a impulsive decision and then regret it. I have read a lot of those here on LHC.

Don't Stall On Me Now!
    Length
    Pixie/Hip/Clssc
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Have you implemented the 2 week rule? If not, I would really consider it. If you want to dye after 2 weeks, go for it. If you're still wishy-washy then give it another 2 weeks.

Length
    Chin/WL/?
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Have you thought of henndigo/indigo? It's a strong alternative to chemical dyes since not only does it give you the color, it also nourishes and strengthens your hair. Seriously, think about it.
    And if it's not a possibility, I think your satisfaction is the most important factor here. Just decide what you really want.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    APL/&#914/WL
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

How about doing a semi-permanent dye, just to get it out of your system? It is possible, since you want to go darker.

Type
    3c/M/iii

I dye my hair. My natural colour looks dreadful on me and washes me out completely. So I dye it black. And I have no compunctions about it. It makes me happy, so I do it, and my hair takes to it very well. It's shiny and healthy and the curls are still beautiful.

If having dark hair makes you happy and makes you like the person you see in the mirror better, then do it! Life's too short to hate your hair.

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

I recommend this:
    - first, check out what you look like in a dark wig, photos are not necessarily representative;
    - if you like the look, you can explore temporary/semi-permanent dyes like Adore or Manic Panic;
    - you can experiment with henndigo, but I think the result will be pretty permanent or evolving in ways that are not easily predictable (henna stays, indigo fades)
    - check out herbal coloring methods: http://web.archive.org/web/201112211...le&articleid=2
    It's a lot easier to avoid damage while going from lighter to darker color than the other way round.

Length
    13/14/24

How about using a temporary colour for a while? (I'm doing that while I grow mine longer as my natural colour isn't as nice as it used to be.) That way you can change the colour now without being stuck with it if you change your mind later. The Revlon colour ball conditioners are also really good as they top up colour while they condition.

I wish I'd left my hair natural when I was younger, now it's fading and going grey it looks lousy when I grow out the colour - everyone's different but it could be something to bear in mind

Length
    13/14/24

Oh, and indigo is great if you're committed to it and you love it, but having used it I eventually had it cut out because NOTHING would shift it. I've removed permanent box dyes more than once but couldn't get the indigo out for love nor money.

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by blue_eyes View Post
    So I've sworn off hair dye for the past few months and had decided to grow out all the dye & damage (I've been dyeing my dark blonde hair to a dark brown/black for about 7 years). BUT I ended up looking through old photos today and realized that I love the way I look with dark hair. For contrast I found a photo of me with my natural color, and I hated it.

Also, I want waist length hair. I'm just past APL right now, but only have about an inch of roots. Continuing to dye my hair means I'll get to waist that much quicker! Is that a good reason for continuing to dye? :P

I don't really know what to do! I'm so torn.
    Advice/personal experience stories are much appreciated!
    Plenty of us here use permanent dye whilst striving for length, there are ways and means of protecting and patch repairing damage (roots only application NEVER refresh lengths; coconut oil, hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA).

If you have porous enough hair naturally you might be able to get a high pigment semi permanent to take with an overnight soak. Semis are basically colour molecules in a conditioner base so non damaging.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.