Thread: Ends and updos

Length
    BSL/CL/Knee
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Default Ends and updos

This gets mentioned in many threads, but I can't find one that addresses the issue.
    Is it easier to do updos with taper (not necessarily fairytale ends) than blunt, or U ends?
    if you have fabulous blunt ends, do certain buns work better. Are any impossible or just not worth it?

I really like blunt ends on others and think I want them, but I like being able to have simple updos.
    Join a declutter challenge http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...d.php?t=141272

Nevertheless, she persisted.

Length
    Buzz/Pixie/Happy
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Ends and updos

Everyone I've heard talk about ends and updo's have said that tapering ends make them a LOT easier, and I think I get why! My ends are very blunt because my hair is relatively short, and my hair is about the same thickness all the way down... it makes some updos near impossible :/
    Just trying to get by

has notorious buns Wildcat Diva's Avatar
    some kind of hunting lodge for rich weirdos
    Length
    16/35/real
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

After I got a trim in April, it made some buns really hard for a month or two. I don't think it was that it was shorter, it was the bluntness of the ends. But in my case, it was only temporary for about a month until things leveled out.

Length
    16 in/34 in/40 in
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

When I had blunt ends I stuck to a ponytail because buns were just impossible. Now I dont have blunt ends, they taper, (I want fairytale ends), and it is waaaay easier to put my hair into updos.

Spatially Disoriented Charybdis's Avatar
    Length
    chin/tbl/clsc
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Even with layering my ends are relatively blunt - and, yes, it makes buns more challenging. Harder to tuck the ends in for a polished look.

Length
    18/25/38
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

I have had blunt ends, a deep U shaped hemline and a V shaped hemline (artificial fairietale ends) and the V ends were very easy to tuck in. Blunt ends always escape my buns, always, at just about every length. I really liked the deep U, it's a compromise between blunt and V, I think they look nicer than V shapes and are easier to tuck in then blunt ends but that just my preference.

I love the lazy wrap bun with hair forks for blunt ends, it holds really well for me.

Current goal BSL 27”, longterm goal tailbone 38"
    Avatar is The Moon and the Stars: study for the Moon by Alphonse Mucha

Length
    ?/36.5/Knee
    Type
    1c/M/ii

I have blunt ends, or at least I work hard to keep them blunt, because I like the look better. I haven't noticed any particular difficulty in buns with my blunt ends. But, the last time I had a V hemline or something that might be considered on the way to fairy tale ends, I didn't know most of the buns I do know. So maybe I just don't have the experience to tell the difference.

Length
    BSL/CL/Knee
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Good to hear the perspectives.

I think I'll lay off the attempting to even up my ends compulsion and just enjoy the ease of crazy ends.
    Join a declutter challenge http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...d.php?t=141272

Nevertheless, she persisted.

Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

I think we have similar hair types... I would definitely take layers/fairytales over blunt ends for buns and braids! It drives me crazy with blunt ends to try to do a cinnabun.
    It is what it is. You are what you it. There are no mistakes. - Tom Robbins

Type
    2b/M/iii

I've had both and fairytale ends are a little easier to tuck in...but blunt ends can be done almost as easily. It's just a question of not braiding (if you're braiding) or twisting (if you're twisting) to the very ends. Do the style 3/4ths down, then simply cross the ends once, then tuck in the longer tail under the bun.