Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: to all henna heads...henna overnight?

Length
    9"/20"/30"
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

Default to all henna heads...henna overnight?

Just wondering if any of you henna & if so, do you henna overnight? I have heard of this but wondered about drips & saran wrap noises in the night that might disrupt sleep. Anyone care to comment?
    Thanks
    Tami
    http://ilovehenna.tripod.com/

Length
    chin/APL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Default Re: to all henna heads...henna overnight?

I have never hennaed overnight, but only because my pillowcases are of a nice material and I don't want to risk staining It doesn't hurt the hair, though I think color release is achieved after a few hours and anything after that is just extra conditioing.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts.
    Study hard. Be evil.

Length
    18/20.5/30
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i

I have hennaed overnight 2x. First time was a bit drippy and caused a bit of a mess on my pillowcase cuz I had really thinned it out. Last time was thicker and only had a small spot. I think I wrapped with saran wrap and put one of those clear plastic caps over THAT, and then put a towel over my pillow. Of course the towel moved, par for the course, but only left a small spot on my pillowcase and it washed out alright. I did it on a Saturday night in case it bothered me or woke me up somehow. Of course it is not the most comfortable thing to sleep with, a tightly wrapped heavy head but it didn't bother my sleep too much. Nooooo problemo!
    Last edited by MAO; April 30th, 2009 at 08:40 PM.

Length
    bsl/waist/??
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Last time I hennaed I did an overnight. I liked it much better. Its hard to walk around with all that mud on your head, it gets heavy!

Anyways, I wrapped my hair in seran wrap. Then I had two separate ties. I had one piece of cloth (just a scrap left over from sewing, linen) positioned at the back and tied near my forehead, and another put on my forehead and tied at the back. When I went to sleep I put an old towel over my pillows, and made sure I used old pillowcases. (I believe in having not only a plan B, but plans C - E.) I did get a few spots the pillowcases, as well as the back of my pajamas, but it was well worth it.

A good rule of thumb for hennaing is to try to avoid going near anything that you don't want to get stained. You would be amazed where the stuff can get to.

Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

I used to do it overnight all the time, mostly because it's a lot easier than sitting for hours with a heavy head. However, you're going to end up with a pretty dark stain, so if you want a bright red, you'll want to wash in a few hours. Overnight will darken it a lot, especially when you have dark hair to begin with.

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

I can't make it through the whole night, but I often henna with the intent of leaving it on for 4 hours and taking a 3am sleepy shower to get it out. It isn't comfortable. I only leave it on 4 or 5 hours, 8 would be too much. I sleep on a towel and there is usually a little stain around the neck area. You have to be pretty sleepy though, I've tried to skip the shower and sleep through the night but I always end up getting up because I can't fall back asleep.

HTH

Resident metalhead RavennaNight's Avatar
    Length
    bob/35/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

I would love to try an overnight henna and then do my indigo when I wake up. But I have concerns for the pillows and the DH. I don't know how he'd feel about me hennaing him.

Length
    Pixie/31/36
    Type
    1b/M/C/iii

I henna'd overnight last night! For me, I have trouble sleeping through a whole night, and did find it an extra disturbance, but it's worth it!

Length
    short/short/long
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

I have before. I have a hair dye pillowcase reserved for it.

However, making the henna thick is a must. Usually I woke up to dripping on my face, and I wasn't too pleased. There were times when I made it thick enough, however, to wear comfortably.

Edit: Also, I wear a wool cap on top of the saran wrap, so that may help a bit.
    (Lord Caswallawn of the Crushing Blow in the Order of Longhaired Knights)

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Nope. Can't imagine it, partly because I'm usually up at least once per night to deal with my kids and I'd worry about stuff slipping, but also because even in my sleep-deprived state, I can't imagine falling asleep with mud on my head.

I leave it on for four or five hours during the day, under a plastic bag and (stained) wool hat, and that gives me great color and condition.