Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does washing in really warm water harm hair?

Length
    23/30/TB
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default Does washing in really warm water harm hair?

I love taking really warm (almost hot) showers and I'm starting to wonder if that is having a huge impact on the condition of my hair. I'm wondering if there are others who have another method to help me enjoy my hot shower and still save my hair. I have started using a 1 liter size squirt bottle filled with water for my final rinses. Which is great and makes it much shiner, but I'm thinking maybe I should be using this for my whole washing process to protect my hair from the heat of the shower. I just fill it at the end of my shower so that by the time I go to use it again in my next shower it is room temp and ready to go. Any other ideas? Or do I have nothing to worry about?
    Jessica (not jessi, lol)

≈ωаѵєs оŋ τнє оcєаŋ≈ xoxophelia's Avatar
    Length
    26"/35"/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Does washing in really warm water harm hair?

I personally just take a warm shower and then turn the water so it isn't hot or cold for when my hair is under the water.

~~embracing nature's waves~~
    instagram: monophonatic

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I've run into the advice to keep hair out of hot water in a number of places, so I tend to believe it. I keep the water on the cooler side of warm to wash my hair, then I move my hair out of the way or clip it up when I want to turn the water hotter.

Of course, what is hot is relative. I thought I took hot showers until I stepped into the shower with my husband one day. Yow! Talk about hot! I thought it would scald the skin right off me. In comparison, my showers are warm, not hot.

about 4 months ago I stopped washing my hair when I take a shower because I love very hot showers and the hot water was drying my scalp. So now I wear a shower cap to protect my hair. After my shower I wash my hair over the side of the tub with cool/luke warm water. after i condition I do a final rinse with freezing cold water. Wow my hair is soo shiny now and my dry scalp is completely gone I first got the idea from Youtube's YouTips4U

Banned
    Type
    1a/C/iii

I've always taken warm showers, and doing so has never harmed either my skin or my hair. I just won't stand for cold showers, the way I see it any possible benefit that cold water might give to my hair is far outweighed by me shivering or catching a cold.

I just make sure that I only use moisturizing products when I'm in the shower. I use a gentle body wash, on a regular basis I only CO my hair, and once a week I apply coconut oil as a deep treatment.
    Last edited by ericthegreat; January 22nd, 2011 at 02:22 PM.

Type
    2b/M/iii

I use warm water for shampooing/rinsing. For the final rinse I use water as cold as I can stand.

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

My showers are never super hot. I don't like really hot water. However they are not cold or warm either. They are mild to moderately hot. I have yet to notice any significant benefit by only using cold water on my hair, or any harm by washing in the temperature I use on the rest of my body.
    Change is the only constant.

Length
    24?/31.5"/32"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/iii

I LOVE long hot showers (and pity whoever goes after me without warm water!). But at the end, I make sure to run it cold and soak my hair before getting out. I've been doing this for years and it works well for me
    To see a world in a grain of sand, And a heaven in a wild flower, Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, And eternity in an hour. – William Blake

I have tried the cool water final rinse and it makes my hair tangled. Not to mention I despise cold water on my skin. Unless its in the middle of a Florida summer.
    Missing person advocates and crime discussion
    http://www.justicequest.net/forums

Length
    1/34.6"/41
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I'm willing to give up a lot to have nice, shiny, healthy hair but giving up my hot showers is NOT one of them. There is just no way. Ever. I'd rather go bald.
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 CL 15 16 17 18 SL 20 21 22 23 APL 25 26 27 BSL 28 29 30 31 32 WL 34 35 36 HL 38 39 40 TB