Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to keep my ears warm on cold days with hair up?

Length
    32"/32"/36"
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Default How to keep my ears warm on cold days with hair up?

Brrrrrrr, it's getting cold here in central British Columbia, Canada - down to -15 Celsius last night and warmed up to -11 now.

And my house is not very well insulated, so even indoors I'm sitting here with my coat on. I'm trying to keep my hair up till at least December 20 as part of a challenge to myself, in hopes it will help decrease whatever is causing it to shrink, but my head is so cold with my hair up in a bun. I'm also growing out a really bad haircut from July (that has been a nightmare) where a stylist made my bangs go way too far back. I've got a big chunk of shorter hair that won't reach far enough back to wear a low bun, so my only option is to pile the bun pretty high on my head. There's nothing covering my ears.

When I go out, I'll wear a big loose toque with a pompom on it. That covers my whole bun and all of my head. And I'll wear a wool scarf. But those are a bit excessive for indoors.

Anyone have any ideas for nice, comfy ways to cover the ears and the head during cold weather?
    Mother of 7, born between 1992 and 2009 - Maranatha! - holysheepdip.wordpress.com -

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Default Re: How to keep my ears warm on cold days with hair up?

I wear headscarves in all seasons for religious/cultural reasons, but they definitely contribute to keeping my ears warm in the winter. They fit very nicely over a bun, and reasonably well over one or two braids. There are lots of different ways to tie/drape them, not all of which are as dowdy-looking as you might think ; ) Most of the scarves I wear are regular old "neck-scarves" or shawls that I picked up at thrift stores or which have been gifted to me. If you have a rectangular cotton "accent scarf," a pashmina shawl, or a big square handkerchief, you can easily use any of those. A lot of people use videos from this online scarf store to learn different ways of tying them. The tutorial on the "front page" of that YouTube account is a very easy everyday kind of style that you could do with almost any kind of rectangular scarf.

We're in high desert, so it gets very cold for our latitude during the winter kidding season (often around -30c, sometimes all the way to -40c), and I used to work entirely outdoors here. When I have to be out in really bitterly cold weather, I usually wear a tight-fitting cap or bonnet over the very top of my head (the kind that you can find sold as an "undercap" at Islamic stores), a thick rectangular scarf wrapped all around the crown of my head down to my neck, button/zip my coat so it goes over that layer, and then put on an oversized wool hat on top of everything. Stay warm--I hope this helps!

Length
    thigh/mbl/waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

I use head bands! Preferably wool ones with a soft lining of some sort to prevent itching. There was a similar thread recently with lots of great answers, I'll see if I can dig it up for you. There was a bunch of talk of a really neat type of headband that I can't remember the name of at the top of my head... grr

EDIT: the headband-y things are called calorimetries! The thread was called "Caring for your hair in a cold climate" and is a good read even for people who are used to the cold The caliometries are discussed in post #17 by @Crystawni in that thread.

EDIT 2: Sometimes I wear thinner headbands indoors during winter, just for style. Then when I go outside I put another wool headband over it. I usually use tube scarfs as thin headbands.
    Last edited by Siv; November 27th, 2019 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Added info
    2008: 24cm/10" 2015: 41cm/16" 2022: 120cm/48" // 2022: 52cm/21"
    instagram

Length
    BSL/floor/floor
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Siv View Post
    I use head bands! Preferably wool ones with a soft lining of some sort to prevent itching. There was a similar thread recently with lots of great answers, I'll see if I can dig it up for you. There was a bunch of talk of a really neat type of headband that I can't remember the name of at the top of my head... grr
    Same here. Headbands all the way!
    They won't fully cover your head but that's what the bun's for, right?

Length
    21/50/knee?
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

Fellow central BC longhair! I've had very similar temperatures in the past few days. I'm totally feeling your pain this fall, since I started wearing my hair up. I made a similar thread earlier, and was directed to a large compilation thread of similar topics:

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...ad.php?t=11886

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

There are a few different ways to do a faux bob, a popular style on the 20s. This would cover your ears. There are some YouTube videos, and a lot of photos on the web.

Type
    1a/F/i

Look into getting a buff, they're quite versatile

My friend's most impressive fourth ever braid on real hair a week after first learning, february-23.

Length
    pixie/Calf/max
    Type
    1a/F/i

Day: After I make the bun but before forking, I pull some of the lower side hair loose to cover the tops of the ears. And do not wear big metal earrings.

Night: I pull the sleep cap fully down over the lobes.

In deep winter I wear a buff and sometimes follow that with a warm cap - with ear flaps.

Length
    thigh/mbl/waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Nini View Post
    Look into getting a buff, they're quite versatile
    Agh yes! I forgot what the "tube scraves" were called - a buff! I love me a buff!
    2008: 24cm/10" 2015: 41cm/16" 2022: 120cm/48" // 2022: 52cm/21"
    instagram

Length
    APL/TBL/Long
    Type
    2a/M/iii

I have really cute slouchy hats that keep my head/ears warm..the only problem now is, when I use hair sticks to go around with a bun and the hat fully covering my head/ears..it sticks out in between the hat lol.
    currently approaching tbl