Thread: Can you add baking soda to henna paste?

Default Can you add baking soda to henna paste?

I think some people used to wash their hair with baking soda maybe ten or more years ago, so I guess it is safe, but anyone knows if you can keep it in your hair longer? A few hours or overnight? I mean, I really think my henna dye result is deeper red when I mix it with something alcaline like green tea or rooibos tea, but probably baking soda beats these teas in alcaline level...

Length
    Bald/BCL/CL

Default Re: Can you add baking soda to henna paste?

Quote Originally Posted by Priska View Post
    I think some people used to wash their hair with baking soda maybe ten or more years ago, so I guess it is safe, but anyone knows if you can keep it in your hair longer? A few hours or overnight? I mean, I really think my henna dye result is deeper red when I mix it with something alcaline like green tea or rooibos tea, but probably baking soda beats these teas in alcaline level...
    Have heard baking soda does more harm than good, and may lead to breakage.

also, a small text copied from google:
    Baking soda, being alkaline, can strip the moisture from the hair and make it very dry and frizzy.
    Although it removes all the oil, grime, sweat, and dead cells from the hair shaft and the scalp making it squeaky clean, it leaves the hair and scalp dehydrated.

You are of course free to do whatever experiment you want, but I would never recommend baking soda.
    Lady Moon of the forests of wonderland, in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights
    🧜On instagram: yareach_lhc

Thank you Fur Immer (sorry I can't find that ypsilon letter..) I think I'll skip this...

Length
    Bald/BCL/CL

Ah, no worries.

Sounds like a wise choice to me.
    Lady Moon of the forests of wonderland, in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights
    🧜On instagram: yareach_lhc

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Yep. It's definitely not safe, doesn't do any good to hair, and shouldn't be added to anything related to hair!
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Hm. I always heard henna needs an acid for dye release (lemon juice, vinegar, citric acid, etc.), so I'm not sure what something alkaline would do...
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Baking soda is a hair killer for many reasons. One is that our scalp and hair does naturally have a lower pH. Messing with it will do nothing good.

As for acids in henna. It is not needed for dye release or for hair at all (with few exceptions). It's used for skin and nails, because it helps the dye molecules to penetrate the skin and nails. I don't use acid in my hair blend, but in my nail blend.

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    buzz/wl/hip
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

the pH scales of teas that you can find on the internet are pretty misleading, some say green tea and rooibos have pH of 9-10, which would make them taste like lye and border on burning your tongue if that were true - they actually hover at around 6-7, depending on your water, so there's a high chance they're actually slightly acidic. (here's a table) you can check with a pH strip from a pharmacy/fish/pool store.

if they help you get a deeper color, it may be something different in them than the pH level, perhaps the tannins (so in theory pu-erh tea or black tea might be worth trying) or the acids that they contain, or even the slight water-softening properties they have.

if you want something alkaline, you could experiment with bentonite clay, it's popular in the curly hair community and the pH should be around 8 - but you'd have to do a strand test first.
    Last edited by evernia; May 16th, 2024 at 05:02 PM.

Length
    buzz/wl/hip
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

double post sorry