Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antique Hair Axe

Length
    23/48.5/55+
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

Default Antique Hair Axe

Hi all!

A quick new year's sale! This one is really special coming from a dear friend on this forum, PeggyE, I was honoured to have this piece, however I never wear it, and feel it would be better served where it will actually be worn as it deserves to be seen by many.

PayPal USD, but will give discount if you happen to be in Canada and can pay in CAD. Willing to ship anywhere, but I will have to charge at least close to what it actually costs to do so, so will have to calculate it based on location. For reference, packages I recently sent to USA cost around $10-15, and to UK around $14

This one is at least 150 years old, possibly much older. I do not recommend using antique hair combs and sticks as a functional item to hold your style. I would use spin pins or some other form of pin to anchor the style, and use these as adornment only! This one is blonde horn, and metal with gold coloured overlay, and it is in excellent condition. Nearly 7 in TL 4.5 FL $175 USD
    Last edited by Calaelen; February 2nd, 2023 at 03:23 PM.
    Lady Calaelen of Eden's Nook Designer of Fetching Forks in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    29"/35/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Antique Hair Axe

Oh that is super neat. I'd totally be too scared to wear it since it's an antique though. I'd be so terrified of dropping or breaking it! Do you know the story of it? How did PeggyE find it?
    Lady Meikyo of the Cerise Blade

Length
    23/48.5/55+
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

I have a pretty large collection of antique hair combs and accessories. I do wear them, and so far have not lost any although I have broken a tine on two separate pieces, both which I was able to repair to wearable condition.

I believe Peggy E purchased this from a very notorious eBay sale that happened a little over a decade ago. As I remember it, someone came into a fairly famous collection of insanely high quality and expensive museum quality pieces that were collected over many years by one person. All were auctioned off and some went for crazy low prices for pieces that Sotheby's would have salivated to get their hands on.. Peggy won a couple pieces in that auction, and I attempted to get a few, but was outbid. I believe this was one of the ones she was able to snag from there!

ETA: http://barbaraanneshaircombblog.com/...talking-about/

This is the auction to which I refer. This blog doesn't mention or feature all of the combs from that auction, there were MANY more. Be sure to read the comments to the blog...
    Last edited by Calaelen; January 4th, 2023 at 01:33 PM.
    Lady Calaelen of Eden's Nook Designer of Fetching Forks in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    29"/35/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Oh wow. I must have missed that on LHC. Then again, I was probably a broke student at the time. Heck, I'm still too poor for any of that. I hope you find someone who will love that antique and not be scared to wear it.
    Lady Meikyo of the Cerise Blade

In my restless dreams, I see that town...
    Length
    12/hip/Thigh
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Oh my gods that's stunning. I hope it finds a lovely home before I decide that I can afford it, lol.
    Hovering at hip this year! Hip hip hooray!

Length
    Chin/CLSC/FTL
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Thank you for sharing that piece of LHC history! I was a member but don’t remember that, it’s likely during one of the years I was inactive. So fun looking through all those pieces. There are so absolute gems! I hope your axe finds a home where it can be shown off as the museum piece it is
    Lady Ravenlocks, Keeper of the Secret Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Daily wash and go, monthly henndigo, annual trimmer

Length
    23/48.5/55+
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

I stumbled upon that eBay auction completely by chance just searching eBay one night..my mind was totally blown. I missed out on two combs ruby and likely diamond on tort because my husband forgot to bid on them.. they went for under $100 each, and I was willing to go higher. He just forgot to log in and bid
    It was only later I got in touch with Peggy E, and discovered that she had won some, and then at least a couple years after that before this one found its way to me.
    Glad I could share that bit of LHC history with you and that you guys are interested in it!!
    Last edited by Calaelen; August 28th, 2023 at 02:43 PM.

Length
    23/48.5/55+
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Hellebore View Post
    Oh my gods that's stunning. I hope it finds a lovely home before I decide that I can afford it, lol.

it is! I have kept it far too long because it's just so special, but I have come to realize that hair weaponry just isn't for me. Every piece I have had has sat looking pretty, but unworn, until I have let it go, and each of them were antique and unique.

Length
    23/48.5/55+
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

Bump. Lowered price

Length
    15/41/tbd
    Type
    2c/F/ii

How beautiful! I’m not one for hair weaponry either but good gracious, you have introduced me to a delightful rabbit hole of antiques and auctions to ogle. I hope you find a wonderful new home for this piece!