Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: does going cone free give fine hair more body?

Default does going cone free give fine hair more body?

Just wondering as I have fine hair whether using a cone free conditioner would in fact give more body than silicone laden products? anyone had experience with this as bit dubious about trying cone free as my hair is dyed and wondering if I need cones to keep it looking right!
    Last edited by templeofvenus; July 13th, 2009 at 06:56 AM.

Length
    27/32/32
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

Default Re: does going cone free give fine hair more body?

My personal experience is that it doesn't. For me it matters more if the conditioner is moisturizing vs. extra body than if it is cone vs. no cone. Everyone is different, though, so you may want to try one to see if you like it.

Length
    -/Shldr/-
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/iii

My hair is fine, although there is a lot of it (says my hairdresser, and also when comparing strands at a meet, an individual hair was definitely confirmed as"fine"). When I do use products with silicones, it makes it a lot sleeker and rather flattens it down. So I suppose for me, the answer to your question is "Yes".

The reason I rarely use silicones is because they make my hair very slippery so that updos are impossible, and also seem to make me need to wash a day or two earlier than otherwise (I normally wash every 5-7 days). If I wanted to wear my hair down and blowdry it to look shiny and silky with minimal waves and no frizz, I would use a coney conditioner, leave-in or serum.

© GRD, 3 March 2007

Length
    22/31/36
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Yes definitely it's true for me. I have been cone free for about a year and before that my hair was very straight and sleek thanks to cones. I was probably a 1b. Once I stopped using cones my hair type became a 1c/2a.

This is my hair on cones about 20 months ago without any heat styling or anything:

This is my hairtyping picture about 1 year ago without cones:

BTW I too have dyed hair. My cone free hair is a lot softer and feels much less plasticky. It also seems to be in better condition than it was with cones.
    Last edited by EvaSimone; July 13th, 2009 at 07:38 AM.

Length
    nape/waist/hip
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

I went cone-free when I started to experiment with all-natural soap shampoo bars. I was pleasantly surprised when my hair had a lot more body and weight after the very first time.

My hair is not as "silky" as before but it looks and feels like there is more of it, and it's also very shiny--glisten-y, even. I don't have "flat hair" anymore, either. I do use a vinegar rinse (left on for a couple of minutes afterward in the shower) to reduce mineral and wax build-up from the bars, and clarify with John Frieda shampoo for light blondes about every 4th wash.

My routine: When I shower, I wash my hair first (often sudsing twice in hot weather), then pour on the vinegar/water combination from a cup I already have prepared. Then I put my hair up in a clip while it works. I wash the rest of me, then take the clip out of my hair and rinse the vinegar out.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaSimone View Post
    Yes definitely it's true for me. I have been cone free for about a year and before that my hair was very straight and sleek thanks to cones. I was probably a 1b. Once I stopped using cones my hair type became a 1c/2a.

This is my hair on cones about 20 months ago without any heat styling or anything:

This is my hairtyping picture about 1 year ago without cones:
    wow what a difference thats awesome! so which cone free products do you use? I am in the uk I know boots and superdrug do have some cone free conditioners, I think I will try!

Length
    22/31/36
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by templeofvenus View Post
    wow what a difference thats awesome! so which cone free products do you use? I am in the uk I know boots and superdrug do have some cone free conditioners, I think I will try!
    I use Giovanni 50:50 shampoo and conditioners. I also use Burts Bees Green tea and Fennel Seed and I like VO5 green tea therapy conditioners.

I don't mean to be negative but everyone has conditioners and shampoos that don't work for their hair type so don't get too discouraged if those don't work well for you. I've recommended them to two people in the past. One didn't like them and the other did so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Also I am not sure if you know this so please be sure to clarify with a sulfate containing cone free shampoo before embarking on sulfate/cone free or your hair will be miserable.

Good luck with whatever routine you decide to go with!

[quote=EvaSimone;674129]I use Giovanni 50:50 shampoo and conditioners. I also use Burts Bees Green tea and Fennel Seed and I like VO5 green tea therapy conditioners.

I don't mean to be negative but everyone has conditioners and shampoos that don't work for their hair type so don't get too discouraged if those don't work well for you. I've recommended them to two people in the past. One didn't like them and the other did so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Also I am not sure if you know this so please be sure to clarify with a sulfate containing cone free shampoo before embarking on sulfate/cone free or your hair will be miserable.

Good luck with whatever routine you decide to go with!

thanks...I don't think I can get those products here in the uk and the vo5 ones here have cones I will hunt about for some cone free's here and will of course wash my hair in a sulfate shampoo that has no cones before I start! thanks for the advice

Banned
    Type
    1a/C/iii

I definitely have personally experienced that once you go conefree, your hair gets a lot more volume so I definitely agree with you templeofvenus. Actually, I have very coarse, thick hair and even my hair type gets a whole new lift at the roots every time I CO rinse my hair. Yes, constant COing with coneless conditioners( I use Suave Naturals and White Rain) has actually added body to my hair and made it more lively.

Length
    15.5?/Shldr/30-34
    Type
    1b/1c/F/iii

I have very fine hair, and going cone free has given my hair more body, but oiling helped prevent the poofyness from happening. It depends on what you mean by dyed as to if cones are likely helping your hair look right. If you have severely damaged hair as I had from bleach, it didn't help my hair when I went totally cone free(I had been sorta cone free for years, but not heavily). Oiling helps a ton with that though. If your hair is really fried though, I would suggest the cones to mask damage. They're great for that!