Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help! What the H*ll happened!!!??? Cones?

Length
    Chin/BSL/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Default Help! What the H*ll happened!!!??? Cones?

I ONLY wash my hair every 7 days as a rule to avoid damage from poo's, mechanical damage, hygral fatigue etc etc..TODAY I WASHED THREE TIMES WITHIN AN HOUR because something went SO wrong.

Recently over the past few months, I have been using Cantu sulfate and cone free poo and condish (I CWC) my hair has been feeling great. before this, I would use normal sulfate and cone poos and Condish's whatever was on sale..with what I thought was no problem (PRE-LHC)

Today I thought I would try something new and add a bit more protection to my hair by using a cone poo and condish (OGX caffeine and niacin - I had used it before a year or more ago ), I read a lot of good claims about this set and thought to try it again, I did my usual CWC and my hair felt stripped and fragile while washing even though they say there are no sulfates in the poo, normally I gently damp detangle my hair with a tangle teezer after my shower with no problems this time though it was so difficult, as my hair began to dry the ends (previously bleached & heat damage - which were babied and amazing with Cantu) were so dry and crunchy that they looked the same as when my hair was platinum blonde after a chemical cut! :

I raced to the shower and washed twice with Cantu set and it feels so much better - I don't know if I got it all out but that was helluva scary - especially after working so hard and my hair Improving so drastically.....

SOMEONE, PLEASE TELL ME WHY THIS HAPPENED - I thought silicones were good for bleached damaged hair???? Has anyone else experienced anything like this trying a new product?

Note: I do use a silicone leave in once in awhile from elvive extraordinary oil range, and it works beautifully.
    Last edited by Makyle; January 29th, 2019 at 12:15 PM. Reason: added note
    Chin~Collar Bone~APL~BSL~Waist~Tailbone~Classic~ ++

Beauty is Intricacy wittled down to simplicity

Length
    CBL/31/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Default Re: Help! What the H*ll happened!!!??? Cones?

I don't think cones would create that effect so quickly. My first thought was actually that there might be excess protein in the OGX stuff, or that something in the ingredients reacted with something that was coating your hair from the Cantu.
    Onwards.

26-BSL-28-29-WL-31-32-HL

Length
    Chin/BSL/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by -Fern View Post
    I don't think cones would create that effect so quickly. My first thought was actually that there might be excess protein in the OGX stuff, or that something in the ingredients reacted with something that was coating your hair from the Cantu.
    That was my thought - as afterwards I searched LHC and found an archive where someone mentions their conditioner is protein loaded...does this mean money wasted and time to toss the OGX?

Length
    CBL/31/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

You could try balancing it with moisture... Do you have any aloe gel?
    Onwards.

26-BSL-28-29-WL-31-32-HL

Length
    Chin/BSL/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Not right now... but I can get... how would I use it with the OGX?

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

I think OGX shampoos are quite harsh despite not containing the obvious stronger sulfates.

ETA: Please don't toss it if possible! Give it to a friend or something.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Length
    Chin/BSL/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Ylva View Post
    I think OGX shampoos are quite harsh despite not containing the obvious stronger sulfates.

ETA: Please don't toss it if possible! Give it to a friend or something.
    Fully agreed on it being harsh, my hair felt like I had washed it with dishwashing liquid and I had breakage when detangling that never happened before.

When I say toss, I mean let go of it...I have a big family so everything gets used by someone.

Length
    Pixie/APL/TBL
    Type
    3b/C/iii

Harshness of shampoo isn't as simple as sulphates or not. It depends on the specific combination of ingredients in the product, and their ratios.

Too much protein can definitely cause hair to feel stiff and crunchy. As far as I'm aware, most Cantu products contain protein, so if your hair was already getting plenty of protein from the Cantu, the extra may have just pushed it over the edge into protein overload.

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Alibran View Post
    Harshness of shampoo isn't as simple as sulphates or not. It depends on the specific combination of ingredients in the product, and their ratios.

Too much protein can definitely cause hair to feel stiff and crunchy. As far as I'm aware, most Cantu products contain protein, so if your hair was already getting plenty of protein from the Cantu, the extra may have just pushed it over the edge into protein overload.
    Yeah definitely, that was what I was after but didn't go into so much detail. And I find that my hair experiences less damage from manipulation using sulfate shampoos than sulfate free. The sulfate free ones just take longer to work into my scalp and they aren't so slippery or easily spreadable, at least those that I've used (my shampoos are always cone free, so it's not about that).
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Length
    APL/??/CL
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Alibran View Post

Perhaps I am looking at different products, but I don’t see any protein in the sulfate free Cantu shampoo and conditioner my search turned up. Nor does my Cantu leave in have protein in it, for that matter.

I have no idea what the OGX has in it, but if protein is the problem it isn’t coming from the Cantu stuff.
    Classic stretched, bcl to tbl most days otherwise.
    Unruly mix of 3s.