Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What "bad" things do you mind or not mind doing to your hair?

Default What "bad" things do you mind or not mind doing to your hair?

Just curious how everyone feels about this. I think that more frequent washing and dying my hair darker with regular chemical dyes are the two things that I do to my hair that are "bad" but I don't mind doing at all. I have modified my usual ways by stretching washes to every other day instead of daily and alternating a CO or WO wash or using an alternative rinse instead of shampoo as well. I also do a roots-only touch up on my dye and every third month or so I will do a heavy coconut oiling before I dye the length.

However, I do have certain things now that I cringe at the thought of ever doing to my hair anymore. I don't like to let any styling product laden with alcohol touch my hair such as traditional hairsprays. I never ever tease/rat/backcomb it anymore ever. Most importantly, I don't ever lighten my hair or let a curling iron or flat iron or heated rollers touch it.

I know some people will be okay with blow drying but they're not okay with chemical dyes or some kind of unique combination. I was curious to read what others' concerns lie and where they are more carefree about when it comes to their hair? Please share!

Length
    Pixie/3"/20"
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Default Re: What "bad" things do you mind or not mind doing to your hair?

I don't mind using my blowdryer because it has a 'warm' setting that's a comfortable temperature and doesn't get too hot, although I air dry when possible.

I also don't mind dying my hair darker on occasion, not too often of course (although I don't anymore) but I'd definately think hard before bleaching my hair as I feel it's more damaging :P
    Last edited by sunshine-locks; August 14th, 2012 at 02:04 AM.
    .. with biscuit skin and hair as long as the sound of honey..
    Pixie Chin Shoulder APL BSL Waist!

Type
    3a/M/ii

I mind doing anything to my hair. ^^ Brushing, combing, heat-styling, washing more than twice a week, looking at the shampoo bottle, wearing it down... Dying is definitely pretty high up on the list. LHC has given me a conscience. But I try to just ignore it.
    Last edited by DarkCurls; August 14th, 2012 at 01:59 AM.
    You cannot prevent the birds of sadness from passing over your head, but you can prevent their making a nest in your hair.

Length
    short/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Blowdrying. I don't believe it is damaging actually. Never in my life have I ever encountered any damage from it. I can't imagine who in their right mind would actually hold the thing near enough to their hair to be damaging and tolerate it being very hot plus there is cool setting on almost every blowdryer out there these days. How people can compare it to irons is beyond my comprehension.

I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith. Looking for Large Aqua Border and Large Multistripe Blue and Silver Ficcare Maximas.

Length
    9in./18in./40in.
    Type
    1c/2a/M/i/ii

I used to bleach my hair to dye it crazy colors, but at the moment I'm just letting the roots go and keeping the bleached parts a crazy color. Right now my hair is mostly green with dark brown roots and I love it. I really like products but I don't use hairspray or do anything else damaging other than my shameful bleaching past.
    <3 <3 <3 <3<3 <3 <3

Length
    23 in/29 in/34 in
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

I brush my hair even though it is often said that people with wavy/curly hair should never do that. I can't stand the idea of having tangles in my hair and combing and brushing takes care of this as well as takes care of my scalp. I didn't brush for years and I also had a very itchy scalp. Since finding LHC and updating my haircare, I no longer have an itchy scalp and I wonder if brushing has assisted with this.

I use heat in a different way - I wait until my hair is dry, put some Nightblooming Panacea on it and then I put it in four flexi rollers, heat up my heat cap and put it over my head until it cools. This give me great bit curls that last for days. I can't see how this heat is any different to using a hairdryer except that it's not blowing the hair at it. My hair only looks better afterwards - it's smooth and soft and sits perfectly. So I don't know if this is "damaging" since I am using heat but it works for me.

Length
    18/28.5/32
    Type
    2a/M/iii

I don't mind using a blow dryer, because I only ever use it on the cold setting. I also don't mind using my rollers, because they use steam. They can't be that bad, right?

Length
    Class/waist/Class
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

Generally speaking, I follow most LHC guidelines . However, I think that it's much better to moderate your regular habits than to swear off everything that could be damaging, forever.

I am fine with occasional blow-drying, wearing it down, semi-frequent washes and use of veggie dyes.

Aside from regular flat-ironing, blow-drying, etc., I would never bleach or perm.

Length
    2''/APL/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I don't mind using hair powder or mousse 1-5 times in a year and I don't mind sleeping on a cotton pillow case. I am so evil...
    1b/F/ii
    Started from a very short pixie at April 2011

Length
    SL/31/Knees

I'm ok with brushing and combing my hair. I am ok with removing tankles when it is wet. I use a wide toothed comb for that. I'm ok with streatching washes a bit. I can usually stretch to once a week washes. I'm ok with washing my hair 2 to 3 times a week if need be. I'm ok with using "cones". My hair tolerates it well. I'm ok with going to bed with my hair wet or better yet pretty damp.
    Lady AutumnLocks Keeper of the Hearth and Tender of Small Beasts in the Order of the Long Haired Knights