Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Over oiled my hair!

Default Help! Over oiled my hair!

Alright ladies I made the mistake of trying a new oiling routine right before a big event this Saturday evening. Long story short my tailbone length hair now seems saturated with coconut oil despite a round or two of shampoo-ing and I need to figure out how to wash it out come morning.

I'm a touch limited in the shampoo supply dept. I have a bottle of Queen Helene Mint Julep shampoo, some assorted Toadstool shampoo and condish, and an old bottle of Dove's Daily Moisture Therapy shampoo and possibly some suave stuff from my parent's bathroom. Other household supplies include Dr. Bronner's Castile, baking soda, Dawn dish soap, cornstarch and white or apple cider vinegar.

Please advise!

Length
    23/39/40
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Default Re: Help! Over oiled my hair!

I'd go with ol' faithful- a baking soda wash. I don't know how tough your hair is though.

You could try slathering it in conditioner, letting it sit for an hour or two, then a good rinse.
    "But the back seat of the drive-in is so lonely without you"

Length
    16/22/34
    Type
    3b/M/ii/iii

no matter how heavy i oil my hair with coconut, it comes out when i wash the scalp and condition the length letting the conditioner sit for around 5 minutes. If all else fails, when you have somewhere to be but your hair looks oily you can always put cornstarch or baby powder on it to soak up some of the oil & make it appear far less oily. It's saved me a few times
    Last edited by sweetestpoison; July 21st, 2012 at 09:20 AM.

Length
    sl/APL/wl+
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii/iii

+1 on CO washing it out, baking soda can be a bit brutal, I oil the hell out of mine and conditioner always gets it out. (The key is to let it sit and rinse really well).
    Lady Cuilpantiel Of The Raven Tower in the Order of the Longhaired Knights.
    The Few, The Proud, The Vaguely Creepy

Length
    Clsc/61/More!
    Type
    1c/2a/F/iii

I'd vote for a thorough, scalp-massaging CO wash with the lightest conditioner that you have, possibly followed with a regular shampoo if you don't feel that CO removes enough gunk for you.

"I met a lady in the meads / full beautiful, a faery's child / her hair was long, her foot was light / And her eyes were wild."
    61" (Mid-calf) | 1c/2a | F | iii

Length
    HL/TBL/CL
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/iii

If you've already washed your hair a couple times, and you have time to wash again in the morning - I'd let your hair sit for the rest of the night, just soaking up the oil. Then wash again in the morning - lather, rinse, repeat. And really, REALLY get a good lather going with whatever you use.

Length
    23 in/23 in/46
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

A good soaking conditioning gets sticky castor oil out of my hair. Sometimes I condition twice. Just be sure to rinse. When you think you've rinsed enough run your hands through your hair while under water singing the ABC's. Should be just fine. I've over oiled more times than I care to count. I just get so carried away with it. Good luck.

Length
    27 in/33 in/Hip
    Type
    1a/M/i/ii

I would just wash it twice or more. I use olive oil. I use a spray bottle with 2 capfuls of oil & the rest water. I spray it on. Just enough. For 4 minutes. Then shampoo. I can feel the difference. My hairs softer. So maybe you can get a empty spray bottle. Put coconut oil & water in it. That might help.

Length
    ?/66cm/80ish
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/ii/iii

I would say a CWC, heavy on the conditioner the first time and let it sit on your hair both times. Dilute your shampoo with water so that it is spread throughout the hair.

Don't get worked up about it and don't wash it too vigorously with too much shampoo, it usually makes mine too dry and brittle so it won't be easy to work with to style for the event.

Length
    20"/46"/?
    Type
    2b/F/ii

I always find conditioner is the best way to remove oil- if you think sbout it, conditioner is an oily substance which mixes with the oil on your hair and rinses out with it, rather than trying to emulsify it like shampoo. A few repeated COs have saved me from various over-oiling disasters.