Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: French Twist: I've been doing it backwards

Length
    Hip/Neck/???
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

Default French Twist: I've been doing it backwards

I have had a strange mental block about the French twist for my entire life. I just figured it out. I was trying to stuff the ends in the smooth side. Doh!

Yeah, it helps if I don't do that. Now that I've remedied that, I have a couple fine tuning questions I hope you all can help with.

Sometimes it's hard to get all the ends in. Even when attempting to stuff them in the correct side. Any tricks for that? I do loosen the twist before I try to, which helps, but sometimes they just won't all just get or stay in there.

And how do you not get a weird little donut at the top?
    Battle Wench Arvoreen of the Scything Curls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: French Twist: I've been doing it backwards

Sometimes I complete the roll then stuff, other times I roll, fold the ends, then continue to roll and stuff any escapees.

There's no rule that says you have to stuff at the end. Maybe that would help you?

Length
    short/28/30+
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Oooh I have subscribed to this thread because I also can't get my ends all tucked in AND I get the "donut" as you called it. Even when my hair was shorter I couldn't do a french twist but I like the way it looks. No matter how many video's I watch it still ends up as a peacock.

Length
    Hip/Neck/???
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by manderly View Post
    Sometimes I complete the roll then stuff, other times I roll, fold the ends, then continue to roll and stuff any escapees.

There's no rule that says you have to stuff at the end. Maybe that would help you?

I tried to double it over first and then roll it up, but that made my own version of a turd bun!

The best so far is to twist then loosen it a little, stuff, then twist it up tight. But that is doing nothing to alleviate the donut.
    Battle Wench Arvoreen of the Scything Curls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

No, only fold over the ends when you have like half a roll left before you hit your head. Don't do it before you start rolling.

It's about the same as loosening the roll to tuck your ends, you're just doing it in a different order.

Length
    >1/4"/29.5"/42"
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

I'm a confused little kitty right now.

Length
    26-28/waist/term
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

I could definitely use a link to a French twist video. My attempts don't even look like a turd bun. They aren't worthy of a name.

Type
    3b/3c/F/iii

Man, do I have trouble with the french twist. Wish I could help ya. Mine either come out really good or simply awful and messy. Usually the latter. I wish I could get it right consistently. The tucking usually does me in.
    ~The shadows are as important as the light.

Length
    Hip/Neck/???
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by mamachanse View Post
    I could definitely use a link to a French twist video. My attempts don't even look like a turd bun. They aren't worthy of a name.
    This is the one I found today that made me realize my major error, lol. It is short and sweet. Many are overcomplicated and involve teasing, spray and 98354 pins. Maybe there's a problem with my attention span, but this one was finally simple enough to make me go, "duh." http://youtube.com/watch?v=eDEJlJco_Y0

Length
    27/33/36
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I use Lisa Janey's instructions, and I practice a lot. It still comes out different every time.

Hold your hair as if you were making a ponytail in the crown area. This is the top of the french twist. Twist twice.

Wrap the tail around your other hand, then stuff this roll into the opening. If I wrap the tail completely around my hand, then no ends fall out.