Thread: Summer Hair Care--tips and tricks

Length
    27/32-33/35'
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Thumbs up Summer Hair Care--tips and tricks

Since it's well into summer, and I'm seeing loads of threads about summer and hair, I thought we could all share some tricks to keep our locks lush and shiney!

I work outdoors, and my hair takes a beating. I try to keep it up and covered under a hat, but sometimes, that's not always possible. I recently did a mayonaise condition and wow! What a huge difference! I wet my hair, used a tablespoon of mayo on the ends, waited a minute or so, rinsed, then shampooed/conditioned as normal. And SOFT ends!! Shiny too!

I'm also looking to get a hot oil treatment and my hair is going to get colored on Weds (bye-bye gray, but I don't use peroxide as I'm allergic). I also get a good trim before and after the summer (read, a 1/2 an inch rather than a 1/4.)

Next! Oh, and I plan to do an ACV rinse

Length
    Short/Clssc/Term
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Summer Hair Care--tips and tricks

The heat is added motivation for me to keep my hair UP. And I always associate summer with a more casual style. I wore my around-the-house-unfastened-braid out to run errands. Less hair manipulation is good!

Proud member of the Renegray Gang

Lady Alassiel of Water and Wisdom in The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    BSL/MID/TB

I have just been out sailing for a week. I usually stuck my hair in a french braid, rubbed sunscreen where my scalp was showing (i have a very centred parting), or wrapped a buff around my head. I found that the damaging effects of salt water can be minimised by rinsing your hair after exposure to the sea, and if i get really paranoid I dab my ends in oil before a swim.
    Otherwise updos are the order of the day, the potential heat is easier to bear that way ("potential" because we don't quite have a summer here in the UK ;P )

Length
    25''/TB/TB
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I keep my mister bottle with me almost all the time in the summer, so that I can refresh my locks every now and then. Conditioner, some light oil and a drop of citrus-smelling essential oil added to water does the trick for me

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

Updos and coconut oil.

Combing only when wet with CO, Suave conditioner, AG Re:Coil, LA Looks sports gel, EVOO and coconut oil

Type
    3c/M/C/ii/iii

If I know I am going to be out all day I will absolutely coat it with some heavy duty coney conditioner or some olive oil, then throw it up in a jaw clip. The heat outside lets all that good stuff soak on in. It does attract the smutz so it has to be on a hair washing day.

Type
    1b/M/ii

I'm normally not a huge hat person, but to keep my scalp from being burned (and then peeling, ewww) I bought an adorable straw sun hat for the beach. I don't wear it the whole time because I like my hair to get natural highlights from the sun, but I try to wear it enough so that my part won't burn. So far it's worked great (AND it helps protect my forehead and nose from being burned).

Length
    Chin/Apl+/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I now shampoo one day, Co for one or 2 days in a row, and shampoo again. i have to wash daily or get a yucky smelling scalp
    Starting over current length: APL+.. GOAL: BACK TO HIP