Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: South4th forks

Length
    :(/:|/:)
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Default South4th forks

I haven't seen many people mention South4th here, and I can only assume it's because most of the forks/pins he lists are a little short for those of us with greater lengths. Steve makes very nice forks for very reasonable prices.

Two-prong manzanita

Three-prong black and white ebony

Both forks in bright afternoon sunlight, with their included storage baggies

The forks are very smooth, and have a fairly thin profile - they feel more like you're wearing a pair of sticks than a chunky fork. Despite that, they're very strong, and don't feel at all like they'll crack from hair pressure (even in tightly torqued buns).

Since most of the stuff listed is smaller pins, I convo'd Steve for both of these as customs. He was absolutely wonderful to work with, had very quick response times (I don't think it was ever more than 12 hours), he took pictures along the way and even redid the manzanita fork for me when I wanted a slightly shorter topper than his standard. He dug around to find a piece of black and white ebony that I liked, and was very clear in letting me know I didn't have to buy the finished fork if I disliked how the graining came out.

All in all, I am extremely pleased.

Length
    bsl/clsc/???
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: South4th forks

I just got this in the mail a few days ago It's a very smooth and nicely finished fork - excellent quality. I'll get an action pic this weekend, hopefully. I'm happy with my purchase

Length
    Chin/APL/BSL/W
    Type
    2a/C/iii

Wow, sounds like you had a great experience! I also have a South 4th fork and I absolutely love it. I think at this point I am getting to a length where I need more heft and am considering a grah-toe. But I am still using my South 4th for buns and it holds really well.

Here's mine:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/71771906...-fork-or-shawl

and action shot:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ctureid=101797

ETA: I know that curlsgalore and bahoban also have South 4th forks and love them too as we have discussed it among ourselves
    Last edited by Scarlet_Heart; June 3rd, 2011 at 05:44 PM.
    Lady Scarlet of the Whispering Philosophes in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    pixie/clssc/clssc
    Type
    1b/F/i

I love those B&W ebony forks!!!

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

He makes very nice forks and will do custom orders. You just need to tell him what you want. His prices are very reasonable and his work is fabulously smooth.

ETA: Hum, maybe I should've read the whole thread before I posted, lol. But I'll agree with Kaijah that he is great to work with and is very accommodating, so don't hesitate to contact him if you like his work but don't see something that's right for you.
    Last edited by jeanniet; June 3rd, 2011 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Addition

Length
    :(/:|/:)
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

catspank, why am I not surprised you got that one? I saw it pop up while I was messaging him, but wasn't sure it'd be long enough. I'm glad it went to you though. Pics are always amazing.

Scarlet_heart that fork looks great in a french twist!

I'm kind of tempted to see if he'll try making a wide four prong. The b&w ebony pieces he has right now are just killer.

Length
    bsl/clsc/???
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijah View Post
    catspank, why am I not surprised you got that one? I saw it pop up while I was messaging him, but wasn't sure it'd be long enough. I'm glad it went to you though. Pics are always amazing.
    Am I that predictable?

Length
    13/37/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I've got some of their forks and sold them except one. They're too smooth for my slippery hair. They're very beautiful, though. I think if your hair is not slippery they're simply great. (If you need more than 30 seconds to detangle then it's not slippery.)

*I suspect I can ask him to not polish it too smooth, but I really have enough forks already.

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

You're right, sapphire-o, they're very smooth and for some people that might be a problem! I'm on the other end of the spectrum; forks or sticks can never be too smooth for me. Just goes to show that there's nothing that's going to be perfect for everyone.

Account Closed by Member Request

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijah View Post
    I haven't seen many people mention South4th here, and I can only assume it's because most of the forks/pins he lists are a little short for those of us with greater lengths. Steve makes very nice forks for very reasonable prices.

Two-prong manzanita

Three-prong black and white ebony

Both forks in bright afternoon sunlight, with their included storage baggies

The forks are very smooth, and have a fairly thin profile - they feel more like you're wearing a pair of sticks than a chunky fork. Despite that, they're very strong, and don't feel at all like they'll crack from hair pressure (even in tightly torqued buns).

Since most of the stuff listed is smaller pins, I convo'd Steve for both of these as customs. He was absolutely wonderful to work with, had very quick response times (I don't think it was ever more than 12 hours), he took pictures along the way and even redid the manzanita fork for me when I wanted a slightly shorter topper than his standard. He dug around to find a piece of black and white ebony that I liked, and was very clear in letting me know I didn't have to buy the finished fork if I disliked how the graining came out.

All in all, I am extremely pleased.
    You beat me to it! I could have posted an almost identical post about my two forks, black and white ebony and a curved manzanita fork as well!!

I will try an post pics later but my camera seems to be acting up .