Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grad photo hair!

Type
    2b/M/C/iii

Default Grad photo hair!

Since I was getting my grad photos done today, I got my hair styled, and for the first time, had it done at a curly salon (The Curl Ambassadors, on Harbord St. in Toronto), and thus with no cones, no poo (she used Deva Curl No Poo, One Condition, AnGEL and Uncle Funky's Daughter Glossy), and lots of tips about hair care. Although hats off to mneh and GRU, for a lot of what she said had already been said by one or both of you! It turned out great, and is still holding up even 11h after styling, which is far beyond what happens to my hair when it gets straightened. When I was leaving the salon, a woman who was there getting her hair dyed complimented my hair, both curl and colour. And so did my mom when she popped by for an unexpected visit this evening (which is high praise because she is usually all about straightening my hair for anything important).

And now for some photographic evidence:

My hair in 2007, for my high school grad photo - straightened by my sister.

My hair in 2011 - styled to enhance its natural wave, still mostly frizz free, even after 11h, which is all the more impressive since I was outdoors a good bit, and it was really cold and dry, which usually is not good news for my hair. I'm also happy to say that I can get almost as good results at home, although I air dry instead of diffusing (which was necessary today because it takes my hair a good 5-6h to dry by itself, and I had to get my photo taken before noon).

I was also given a $20 gift card towards my next appointment, although I don't know if/when it will happen, because apparently a cut there is $85 at my length, and I don't have that kind of money. I think I'm going to call and ask if the gift card can be used toward buying products instead, because I really did like the Deva Curl stuff, but it is on the expensive side of things for me.

I just wanted to squee about my hair today, because it was a beyond awesome hair day, and it made me very happy. For the first time in ages my grad photo (and passport, I decided to get those pics done today too, since I looked good) will have my "real" hair, and I'm ecstatic!

I'm hoping that my hair will last the night, and I'll have lovely second day hair. *crosses fingers*
    Last edited by squintinschool; May 22nd, 2011 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Fixing image link

Length
    18/22/32-35
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Grad photo hair!

you have changed so much and look absolutely gorgeous!
    I love your hair and the natural wave really does suit your hair and face.
    What shampoo do you use/conditioner? it looks so soft and shiny.

Type
    2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmicfish View Post
    you have changed so much and look absolutely gorgeous!
    I love your hair and the natural wave really does suit your hair and face.
    What shampoo do you use/conditioner? it looks so soft and shiny.
    Thanks! *blushes*

I'm currently starting to CO, using TRESemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture conditioner. And Garnier Fructis Curl and Shine Gel. CO'ing has definitely made my hair feel softer, and detangling in the shower on conditioner soaked hair is miles easier than when I used to brush it out dry. Even though I just joined LHC, I've been gradually treating my hair better since starting uni (going from SLS shampoos and cones galore, to SLS and cone free products, to learning about plopping), and it shows.

However, the wash in the salon was done using their products, namely DevaCurl No Poo, followed by DevaCurl One Condition, and then DevaCurl AnGEL on soaking wet hair with some conditioner left in (which is a step I need to remember, especially in the winter). After drying, she used some Uncle Funky's Daughter Gloss spray, for shine since I was going to get my grad photo done.

ETA: For reference, my avatar photo is from 2009 summer - you can see I was getting some nice waves going, but now they are much more defined, and less frizzy.
    Last edited by squintinschool; January 11th, 2011 at 08:54 PM.

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

Yay! Always nice to have a GOOD salon experience for a change!

And definitely put conditioner back in your hair after rinsing.... curls *need* moisture, and this dry winter air is brutal!

I'm just not ready to be a Renegray yet!
    Avatar credit to the lovely milagro

Length
    Pixie/26.5"/Waist
    Type
    1b/M/iii

Your hair looks so much happier now! It looks very healthy and I love the curls.

Length
    SL/Knee+/Knee+
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Your curls look really nice
    Hello

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

It looks lovely and (the waves/curls) very soft.
    (Lady Seirêne of the Unmatched Voice in the Order of the Long Haired Knights)

Type
    2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by GRU View Post
    Yay! Always nice to have a GOOD salon experience for a change!

And definitely put conditioner back in your hair after rinsing.... curls *need* moisture, and this dry winter air is brutal!
    I know eh?

And I'm definitely doing that from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by brista View Post
    Your hair looks so much happier now! It looks very healthy and I love the curls.
    Thank you! It is much happier, because this is what is really wants to do, none of that straight business. I wouldn't call them curls, but they are lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
    Your curls look really nice
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanne View Post
    It looks lovely and (the waves/curls) very soft.
    Thanks!

Woo! I have second day hair! Usually when I sleep on it, my head turns into a big poofball, but today no such problem. I dry plopped onto a cotton dishtowel (like a T-shirt material), then slept, and woke up with my waves non-poofed! Added a bit of water to tame the wee frizzies, but will be wearing it down today because it still looks good. Now I just want my PrettyWrap to come, because the dishtowel is not all that good at staying on my head.

Length
    BSL/BCL/CL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

It looks great.

Glad it lasted through the night.

Lady Savitri of the Sunlight Skies in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!
    Hiding in the shadows ...

Length
    2/26/~30
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

Great curls!

Hair is like cat. You can't really tame it, you just have to care and enjoy.