Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSL and beyond harder to protect??

Length
    Chin/BSL/Waist

Default BSL and beyond harder to protect??

So, as excited as I am to be at BSL I have found that I am finding some OMG split ends (you know the ones that look like they went through a shredder... not just a little white dot or bent end!). I am starting to feel like my ends are taking a beating and yet right now is when I am having a hard time getting it into an updo.

At what point did you start to see more damage on your hair? I have heard many people say they grew out to waist without really even trying to protect their hair but I don't think that will be the case for me.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. —Oscar Wilde

Length
    TERM/CHIN/SHLDR
    Type
    1c/C/iii

Default Re: BSL and beyond harder to protect??

Between SL and APL I have found some splits and learned that I have to take better care of my hair. Fortunately, I have also learned how to do that well.

Length
    chin/33/TB
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

My impression from reading these boards for a while is that some people get more and more protective of their hair as it gets longer. Because they start seeing more damage or because they realize that if they want to get longer than BSL they might have to take things up a notch.

I see posts where people say they do this and that to their hair and it doesn't matter then I look and see that they have shoulder length hair. I wonder if they will be able to do the same with bsl or waist length or tail bone length hair. I don't know. Maybe yes. Maybe no.

That said, it may be time for a little trim. I like to just cut damage off and be done with it because I hate the way damaged ends feel.
    Last edited by prosperina; December 28th, 2010 at 07:12 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by prosperina View Post
    I see posts where people say they do this and that to their hair and it doesn't matter then I look and see that they have shoulder length hair. I wonder if they will be able to do the same with bsl or waist length or tail bone length hair. I don't know. Maybe yes. Maybe no.
    Ouch. There goes any credibility I had at all on this board.

Length
    apl/thigh/thigh
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii/iii

how many of these split ends are you finding? I know that when I take a closer look at my ends I can find quite a few, but overall I don't have so much damage that I can see it from far away and it doesn't really change the texture of the ends of my hair.
    It's not too difficult to protect the hair, put your hair up in a bun and tuck the ends under so it is not exposed to the elements. It was rather difficult when I had APL to BSL hair because of the excessive amount of layers I had but I just wet it to keep the hair together and put it up and out of my mind.
    Try not to obsess too much over it, it's not as bad as you think it is ^__^
    Almost there!

Length
    bsl/elbow/n/a
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by triumphator! View Post
    Ouch. There goes any credibility I had at all on this board.
    Well, you're also typing yourself as an M, so your individual hairs are a lot coarser than mine .

I have to be pretty fussy period, since my F hair will start showing splits and being damaged easily at chin length. Someone with stronger hair can be more aggressive with their handling and have no trouble for a lot longer. The handling that's problematic for me as a straightie is very different from the handling that's problematic for a 3c too.

Doesn't make my hair bad, or me into an unbelievable person. It means y'know... my hair is fine and straight.

Length
    -Chin/WL/HL
    Type
    2c/3a/C/ii/iii

I wonder what it will be for me! I guess my hair is pretty strong. I've never seen a split end. I've sat down to do some S+D but found no splits! I'll probably get damage at BSL/waist since that's where my ends were damaged before...
    Chin ~Shoulder~ APL ~ BSL~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL

Length
    APL/Hip +/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

I am just a little past BSL and i have found putting oil in my length and wearing it up 24/7 has stopped me getting split hairs have you tried oil on your ends? it really helps to strengthen them.
    APL 2010 BSL JUL 2010 WSL 2011 HIP 2013 Going for Tailbone December 2017

Length
    10 in/39 in/44 in
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

My hair is fragile and gets damaged really easily. This wasn't the same when I had chin length hair. I started really noticing damage when it hit waist length. I wish I had protected it better when I was at apl+
    ConstantKi
    Growing from 10 inches since November 1, 2006 $\infty$

Length
    16.1/30.31/40
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I think a small trim once in a while really helps, I used to have my hair on shoulder length, but by the time it was BSL it was all scruffy.

also I think that if you want long hair, you must be able to live with a few split ends.
    there will alway's be a few.