Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Updos with hats?

Length
    21"/32"/TB
    Type
    2c/3a/C/ii

Default Updos with hats?

I'm trying to keep my hair in an updo every day but now the summer has arrived, I find I need to wear a hat to keep the sun out of my eyes (shades on their own just aren't enough, I'm very sunlight-shy!)

Does anyone have any ideas for attractive updos that would work with a hat that fits when my hair is down? Normally I wear a Barmah leather hat like THIS one, or a straw/paper mix hat of a similar shape.

Edit: Yes, I know 'attractive' and 'outback hat' aren't normally seen in the same sentence, but I just don't suit more girly styles!
    Last edited by Gnomentum; June 20th, 2010 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Thought of something else!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Updos with hats?

I put my hat on and then a low bun under it. It also works to braid my hair, then lift the end/s of the braid/s to the top of my head and put the hat over them, which pins the braids into place. A ball cap is great because I can pull my hair through the gap in the back, bun it, and pin it down with a small fork right at the gap. It keeps my hat from blowing off even in fierce wind and/or activity.

Length
    33"/34.5/37"
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I need help with this too. Is there anything besides a low braid that will fit under a hat? I was at a garden party yesterday and really wished I could have had my hair up, but I couldn't figure out a bun that would work.

Length
    Pixie/BSL/BSL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I've got the same problem with wearing a bicycle helmet. All I've come up with is a braid, too.
    Proud Member of the Renegray Gang
    Lady Arethusa of the Gossamer Garden in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Length
    29/36/33
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Gibson braids look cute with a hat. (I have a Barmah leather hat, too, by the way!)

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

Check out Gone With the Wind. Those styles would work under that hat.
    Also a Gibson tuck might work.

For what it's worth, I actually kind of like that outback hat! I like a wide brim, and more masculine hats as well.

Length
    21"/32"/TB
    Type
    2c/3a/C/ii

Low bun should work - and has in the past - as a protective updo, but it generally has to be quite a tight bun to work with those hats; not the prettiest once I take the hat off! I quite like the bun-through-the-back-of-the-hat idea for outdoorsy days.

Sweet*things - I LOVE your avatar

Length
    21"/32"/TB
    Type
    2c/3a/C/ii

Hee! I'm glad my hat meets approval.. I *love* the thing, it's so comfortable and does exactly what I want no matter whether it's tropical heat or sheet ice outdoors! It's not elegant but I kind of think it suits me - sadly my OH doesn't agree.. heh.. one thing I refuse to compromise on if the weather and situation demand comfort.

Length
    22"/45"/45"
    Type
    1a/F/ii

so I usually do this style higher up on my head but I saw this thread and thought I would try to make it hat friendly by making a lower ponytail as a start place. Here are the pics, looks like it would work for a hat

Be who you are... those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind

Length
    24"/30"/45"
    Type
    1b/F/i

Angeletti, I really like that bun! I looks so elaborate!

A lot of people suggested buns at the nape, but maybe you could also try off to one side?