Thread: Distressed that I may have female balding so been away from LHC

≈ωаѵєs оŋ τнє оcєаŋ≈ xoxophelia's Avatar
    Length
    26"/35"/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Unhappy Distressed that I may have female balding so been away from LHC

(PICTURES ON SECOND PAGE)

The hair on the sides of my head is significantly thinner than other parts of my head and I didn't realize the severity until I lifted up the hair to look and it isn't so severe everybody would notice as the hair on the crown covers over it but if you were looking you definitely would. Basically a majority of my head has thick hair. The sides I would say is about a i.

The hair in this area also only grows to about shoulder length or a little longer. And it looks sort of... puffy and frazzled (it was this way even when I had virgin hair)? I don't think it is only breakage because it looks thinner even at the scalp. It might contribute possibly.

The reason I am asking is because if anybody knows if this is medical or simply genetic. At least since I was 16 I had noticed some length difference in this area. I have medical issues lately so I don't really want to go to the doctor for this specifically unless it is a symptom of the larger issue.

Or could there be any other causes? I think it makes my hair look slightly more like a mullet O.o
    Last edited by xoxophelia; June 7th, 2010 at 06:31 AM.

~~embracing nature's waves~~
    instagram: monophonatic

Default Re: Distressed that I may have female balding so been away from LHC

Sorry you're having to go through this. Your hair tinning in this way could be caused by a few things.

Traction baldness, when one wears to tight a pony tail or up do ( hold backs where you gather the hair from the sides can do this if worn too tightly). It does sound more like this, then others listed below but Im no Dr

Genetic Alopecia (its too early for me to remember the right name)

Hormonal Alopecia

Thyroid or Anaemia problems

I would go to the Drs and get them to check it if your really concerned, if it is Hormonal there is a lot that can do to help. Its very important you catch it early if it is any form of Alopecia, as the treatment works better.

I have Alopecia Areata (which starts in inch round circles round the scalp) which progressed to Alopecia Univarlis (total body hair loss). I had 90% hair loss for about 6 years, however since being on the LHC board since this Spring, I have got new hair growth in patches on my scalp.

There are a lot of things you can do:

Better nutrition (lots of Biotin rich foods, vitamin C, Vitamin A) (Iv done this one major league)
    More exercise to help circulation
    Less tight updos
    Aromatherapy has been shown to have good results with Alopecia and baldness
    Massage (I did this one and it works to relax the scalp and encourage growth)
    Hypnotheraphy (I did self hypnosis as Id been taught by a qualified practicioner)
    Meditation ( I did this one)
    Visualisation (I did this one as well)
    Hot water compresses (I did this one, and it works)
    Loving your hair no matter worked for me as well.
    MSM
    DE
    Monistat Vaginal Cream (in the Uk its called Daktarin).
    Rose Water

There is lots of information on the forum on other things, which I cant recall at the moment. I hope your scalp and hair is sorted out really quickly.

Lots of Hugs
    Purdy
    Last edited by Purdy Bear; June 7th, 2010 at 02:14 AM.

Length
    26"/35"/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Thanks for the help Purdy Bear

I have looked into Alopecia and some of the symptoms I definitely do not have but what threw me off is that I do not have bald spots but on the sides of my head I can see through to my scalp. The size of the part is also much larger. It is not to the point of being severe perhaps what is most noticable is that the hair doesn't grow very long.

I don't wear any tight updos or even many updos for that matter.

There is definitely something going on with me but I just don't know if this is related. And if it doesn't continue to get worse, even though it is noticable, I can live with it.

I will try the first few suggestions (the vitamins, more working out, massage) first and see if that helps. I just start to feel silly going to the doctor with problems :/

Length
    22/31/36
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I agree with purdybear anemia and thyroid issues could cause this. Also the hair around the nape of my neck and sides is very much like the hair you describe. It's frizzy and fragile, thin and doesn't grow too far past my shoulders. I always just thought it was a normal variation of nature.

I hope you get this figured out!

Length
    26"/35"/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by EvaSimone View Post
    I agree with purdybear anemia and thyroid issues could cause this. Also the hair around the nape of my neck and sides is very much like the hair you describe. It's frizzy and fragile, thin and doesn't grow too far past my shoulders. I always just thought it was a normal variation of nature.

I hope you get this figured out!
    The hair goes from the hairline up to slightly higher above my temples so it is possible it is just genetic. If other people here have it I would be inclined to think that

Length
    22/31/36
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I will try and take a pic of my hair where it's all delicate and frizzy today and post it for you. My hair doesn't go all the way up to my temples, more like the middle of my ear.

tangle teezer evangelist freckles's Avatar
    Length
    26/tb/tb
    Type
    1b/F/ii

xoxophelia, sorry you're going through this and I hope you find some answers.
    don't know whether your hair is brown or red? us neither!
    hit my length goal of tailbone ... now learning to maintain and aiming to reduce split ends!

Length
    shldr/APL/APL
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

sorry to hear this Best arrange a trip to your Dr. You havn't changed your hair routine or eating differently? Hope it gets resolved

Length
    19/30/36
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I really think that you need to get a complete panel thyroid test, and get your blood checked for iron.

I hope you can get to the bottom of this, and I'm so sorry that you're going through this. It could also be something temporary.

I had a single instance of localized alopecia when I was 19 or 20. The hair grew back and it's never happened again.

It was after a time of great stress. Only you know if you've been stressed, so I won't pry.

A visit to the doctor's won't hurt and may end up making you feel a lot better.

I hope you find your answers, and soon.

Length
    Chin/Flip/BSL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

I'm sorry you're going through this!

It may also be caused by hormonal imbalance. I used to be on a hormonal pill for acne (a testosterone based pill) and after about 6 months of use my doctor noticed my hair was thinning around my hairline (by the temples). After I stopped using that pill, the thinning stopped. It still hasn't grown back as thick as it was but at least it's stopped.

Along with thyroid tests, let your doctor know what medications you're on (even birth control), hair thinning may be a side effect that you were not aware of.

Good luck