Thread: Baby pulling hair out!

Length
    Jaw/Bsl/Hip
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Angry Baby pulling hair out!

Aggrh! this is so frustrating! i have a lovely little bald patch around my hairline around my temple area from where my little one has been yanking it out
    i have to keep cutting a fringe/bang to disguise it but its not doing much good and i really want to grow it out. problem i henna and have rather pale skin so it can be quite obvious and im panicking about it never growing back
    any suggestions? also my hair is still falling out 6m after having a baby, although henna has helped abit i still have to clear my hairbrush everytime i brush my hair! Anyone else had thisa? any suggestions?

Length
    12/46/knee
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Baby pulling hair out!

Wear it up in a bun around your little one, always. That's the only thing I was able to do when my kids were little that helped keep them from yanking.

Plus, discouraging the hair-pulling by your little one by distracting him or her with a toy might help. Good luck.

Slow day: Didn't have much to do, so spent three hours on LHC. Busy day: Managed to work in three hours of LHC. Bad day: Barely squeezed in three hours on LHC.

Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

A few suggestions:

1. Wear your hair up as much as possible, and use bobby pins or a bandana to hold your bangs back. This will make your hair harder to grab.

2. When the baby grabs your hair, don't pull the baby's hand away. Instead, grasp the hand and hold it to your head, so that the baby can't pull the hair out.

3. Hold the baby's hand, with your thumb on the inside of the wrist and your fingers on the back of the hand. Gently push the baby's hand down to fold at the wrist towards the inner arm. This will make the fingers uncurl, loosening the grab.

4. As you do this, say "No pulling" in a firm, low voice. You want to sound firm and matter-of-fact. Not yelling or scolding.

5. Once the grip is relaxed put the baby down (in a safe place) or change how you are holding the baby so that it is not so easy to grab hair. Give less attention for around 30 seconds.

6. Once that is all done, resume what you were doing with the baby. Give the baby something else interesting to hold.

7. When the baby is playing nicely, be try to engage, and make it clear that you like that sort of play-time.

The point is to release the grab gently, so you aren't hurt, and give a clear message that grabbing is not part of "fun time", and will be stopped, but there is lots of good attention for playing nicely.
    I am opting out of the "Friends" system. All requests will be declined.
    Ursula's Standard Newbie Advice
    Ezekiel 23:20

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I have no advise, sorry. I ust wanted to tell what I read when I tried to read everything about trichotillomania (hairpulling, which I have). I read the pulling the hairs out forcefully may damage the hair follickles, rarely to the point where they never grow back even after several years of pulling, but the hair texture might change when the new hairs grow: often they grow back wiry or extremely fine. Growing in curly in otherwise straight head of hair (or vice versa) is also possible. (Note: this is not scientific info, just things I've read over at the trichotillomania forums/articles.)

Good luck!

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Length
    waist/40"/knee
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Can you wear a buff or a headband at your hairline to hold the hair further out of reach? Baby will grow out of this phase soon

Length
    27/34/40
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

About the 6 months shed thing, my post baby hair sheds really didn't finish up until about 3 months after I finished up breastfeeding. I don't think it is unusual to still be shedding after 6 months.
    "You're just envious because Legolas and Elrond have better hair than you. Actually, better hair than anyone else ever. " - Pegasus Marsters

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
    A few suggestions:

1. Wear your hair up as much as possible, and use bobby pins or a bandana to hold your bangs back. This will make your hair harder to grab.

2. When the baby grabs your hair, don't pull the baby's hand away. Instead, grasp the hand and hold it to your head, so that the baby can't pull the hair out.

3. Hold the baby's hand, with your thumb on the inside of the wrist and your fingers on the back of the hand. Gently push the baby's hand down to fold at the wrist towards the inner arm. This will make the fingers uncurl, loosening the grab.

4. As you do this, say "No pulling" in a firm, low voice. You want to sound firm and matter-of-fact. Not yelling or scolding.

5. Once the grip is relaxed put the baby down (in a safe place) or change how you are holding the baby so that it is not so easy to grab hair. Give less attention for around 30 seconds.

6. Once that is all done, resume what you were doing with the baby. Give the baby something else interesting to hold.

7. When the baby is playing nicely, be try to engage, and make it clear that you like that sort of play-time.

The point is to release the grab gently, so you aren't hurt, and give a clear message that grabbing is not part of "fun time", and will be stopped, but there is lots of good attention for playing nicely.
    Thats a great advice!!!!