Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Throwing hair up/back over the pillow in the night, does it give any protection?

Default Throwing hair up/back over the pillow in the night, does it give any protection?

Especially if I also have satin/silky pillowcase? If I notice that I have no energy left to get up and braid my hair, is this even some kind of help? I know I can pay attention to this myself, of course. But my life is at the moment so busy that I just don't know if I can share any attention to this..
    Last edited by Priska; May 22nd, 2024 at 11:55 AM.

Length
    CBL/WL/HIP
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Throwing hair up/back over the pillow in the night, does it give any protection?

Silk/satin case is better than nothing! I usually braid my hair before bed but I will occasionally fall asleep without doing so. Maybe a hair bonnet will be a good option for you if the pillow case isn't enough
    CBL 2015 - BCL 2019

⋆Hangin out⋆

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Throwing hair up/back over the pillow in the night, does it give any protection?

I've been doing that for years and my hair has been fine with it. The longer the hair, the better that works because it just kind of stays out of the way.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Great to hear Ylva, thanks!

Length
    BSL/HL/SDL
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

I also do this if I have to go to sleep with wet hair, and it does offer some protection. My hair is noticeably less tangly (although this is not a great way to sleep, but better than nothing).

Like Ylva said, works better on long (and heavy) hair.
    I'm fine
    Lady Sarana, Ranger of the Eastern Hills
    in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

I do this if I want to wear my hair wavy and down the next day, I wash at night and let it dry draped over the pillow. At HL it’s finally long enough to stay. I toss and turn from side to side and hair is in good wave clumps and not difficult to detangle after. I still usually wear it up or braided to sleep, but it’s nice to have options
    Maintaining 31” HL last bleach nov 2020 final goal is HL virgin hair by 6/2025 for my 40th

Learn more. Know less. foreveryours's Avatar
    Length
    ./71"/KNEE+
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Ylva View Post
    I've been doing that for years and my hair has been fine with it. The longer the hair, the better that works because it just kind of stays out of the way.
    THIS! I learned early on that I can't sleep with a braid - too many bumps. So I've been flinging it loose over the end of my bed for quite a while now. If you hair is too short, it won't stay, so doing this is obviously of no benefit. Easy solution though - just grow longer
    scalp > SL > MBL > TBL > FTL > KNEE > KNEE+

Length
    waist/TB/long

I braid to keep it out of my way, then toss it back, but for most of my life, I just tossed it over the pillow. I've always had strong, healthy hair.

Length
    pixie/short/?
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by foreveryours View Post
    I learned early on that I can't sleep with a braid - too many bumps.
    Same, but I just sleep with my hair all loose everywhere because trying to keep it up over the pillow for me is also uncomfortable. Like I'm sleeping in an updo or something.

I've also tried satin sleep bonnets, but the elastic always likes to mark my forehead. So to avoid that, I need to pull my bonnet back further, which risks it coming off in the night... It doesn't come off often, though, and the alternative is just wearing nothing on it anyway.
    In a grow and cut cycle...

Length
    2.5/40"/Long
    Type
    1c/F/ii

That’s how I sleep and it seems to work great! Mid thigh length.