Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heatless straightening? For CURLY hair!

Length
    24/24/40
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/ii

Question Heatless straightening? For CURLY hair!

Hi Ladies!

I'm new here! Nice to meet you all!

I'm a curly head (3b). I'm trying to grow my hair but since I used to straighten it with the hairdryer, it is quite damaged and it keeps breaking when it reaches my armpits more or less.

My problem is that I really don't like myself with curls (especially when they are so short, cause the are too voluminous). But I really want long hair and so I must stop using heat.

Has any of you any "secret" for straightenig the hair without heat??

Lately I let it dry in a low tail, and it becomes very straight on the top but behind the neck is just curly and messy.

Do you have any other method? I'm desperate!!!

Length
    2/22?/35
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: Heatless straightening? For CURLY hair!

As wavy whurly whos hair could go in either direction, my suggestions may or may not work for an intenese curly.

Whilst hair dryers on high heat arent great, you could try using the hair dryer on on cold.
    If I want straighter hair I stick heat protecty frizz ease oil in it just 1 or two squirts & rub into hair esp on the ends.
    Clip it up and dry it on Cold section by section, starting at nape & working way up & around to the sides & the crown & then the front. Drying in the direction of my hair & brushing very gently & pulling it straight gently in the direction I want my hair to lie with either my fingers or a wide toothed comb - so I don't get too many tangles & im not ripping or strethcing my hair too much like you might with a narrow comb.
    Takes ages but it does make my hair straight & shiny as the hair follicles are closed & lying in the right direction by the cold air.

& then I run 1 more small blob of hair frizz ease type oil stuff through my hair now its dry - pretty light handed with the stuff though or it can just make your hair look greasy.

Its a very soft version of straight hair - and if it rains / gets too steamy - If I do sweaty exercise then some wavyness is going to start to come back.
    It would be even flatter straighter and shinier if I went over it with the straightners - but then you're applying heat & defo gonna end up damaging your hair!

Im sure some real super curlys may have better techniques.

You could try embracing your curls? I love the curlyness in my hair & prefer it on the curly days to the straight wavy days - many straight hairs covet your curliness too & I personally always think what you had naturally colour & thickness & wave pattern wise tends to suit a person better than anything they try to force upon thieir hair.

Short voluminous curls sound super lovely to me.
    Last edited by OhSuzi; January 26th, 2018 at 03:46 AM.
    Hair tomorrow, hair yesterday, but never hair today!

Length
    15/28/35
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Welcome aboard, pleasure to meet you. :wave:

So the trick with curls is to get them before they are dry...since your main problem with your curls seems to be the length, all we need to do is get you to a length that they start to behave a bit better for you. You have a few options and I’m actually going to suggest something a little counterproductive, heartless curling.

One of my biggest problems with my curls was that they never dried in the same pattern twice at shorter lengths. So by using a heartless or overnight curling method, what you get is nice, even curls/waves that lay nice against each other. I’m a fan of braid waves myself, French of Dutch braid for all over waves; or just English braid for gentle waves at the bottom. The more braids you do, the small the wave.

The headband method is another really good option, wrap a soft headband or length of fabric around your head, and wrap your hair around it in sections. Result is pretty, “beach” waves that look really nice. Give YouTube a shot for more options, most will suggest lightly dampening your hair so the styles sets better. How damp you need to be is entirely up to you; and you will need to experiment a bit.
    ​So...knee?

Length
    CBL/WL/HIP
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

You could wrap it around your head. Best to do this wet.
    CBL 2015 - BCL 2019

⋆Hangin out⋆

The Cheery Raggamuffin AutobotsAttack's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/40in/FTL
    Type
    3c/4a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lithostoic View Post
    I was going to suggest this too.

A lot of ladies with my hair texture either dry or wet wrap to get it reasonably straight. Preferably wet wrap. If you (OP), can get your length all the way up, and secure it with some clips or bobby pins it should fair up in the morning when you take it down. Maybe put a light serum on the middle areas and ends to keep it from reverting?
    “A Wizard is never late! He arrives precisely when he means to!”
    Chin>Neck>SL>BSL>WL>HL>BCL>TBL>Classic>Upper Thigh
    I was the only one who wasn’t King Fu Fighting.

Length
    MBL/TBL/Class
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Have you thought about entering a new relationship with your curls? I know it’s hard and we with textured hair are trying to “fight the power.” It backfires with hair breakage and you lose length at some point.

There are a lot of products for defining curls and making them “pop.” Have you considered?

Save your hair vitamin money and put into a retirement fund. That's growth.

Length
    BSL/Hip/?
    Type
    3c/4a/M/ii/iii

I have heard of people doing a roller set on wet hair then when that's dry they wrap the hair around the head to "set" for a while. Others have tried African threading.
    Kay , BSL > MBL > Waist > Hip

Length
    24/24/40
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/ii

Thank you for all your responses!
    I'm gonna try with wrapping the hair around my head and let it dry.. will see what happens!
    I just want to avoid any damages and let it grow!

Length
    bob/MB/WL
    Type
    3a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lithostoic View Post
    I agree. I used to do this before my hair got long enough for me to like the way it hangs.

Drying it in low pigtails also helps relax it into waves, and because the hair is divided into two sections, each section dries a bit faster than a single segmented ponytail or braid. I also find this helps preserve a bit of body at the top of the head (you can pin it into place with Bobby pins first) and keeps the hair from collecting in a mullet shape (some curly hair tends to do that, especially if the front is a bit shorter/thinner/more fragile).
    Last edited by tangocurl; January 29th, 2018 at 04:59 PM.

Lady Tangocurl of the Scepter-Twined Tresses in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.
    Currently BSL in the back when stretched, and a couple inches shy of BSL in the front. Very basic 3a. No cones. No heat styling.

Length
    bob/MB/WL
    Type
    3a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by *Wednesday* View Post
    Have you thought about entering a new relationship with your curls? I know it’s hard and we with textured hair are trying to “fight the power.” It backfires with hair breakage and you lose length at some point.

There are a lot of products for defining curls and making them “pop.” Have you considered?
    Good advice too — I couldn’t accept my curls until they hit at least APL and worked with me not against me!!

Lady Tangocurl of the Scepter-Twined Tresses in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.
    Currently BSL in the back when stretched, and a couple inches shy of BSL in the front. Very basic 3a. No cones. No heat styling.