Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In anticipation of winter...

Default In anticipation of winter...

How does everyone cope with their hair in the winter? I'm in England (specifically, Leeds for university) and it can get really cold, cold enough to need a woolly hat. Before LHC, I just put my hair into a low ponytail or left it loose (it was about BSL length, same as it is now.) But I a) now want to grow my hair, so updos seem a good idea to protect it, and b) I anticipate that by December here my hair will be long enough that I won't want it loose. Even now I prefer it in a bun with spin pins.

What's the solution?

Not a fan of labels. missblueeyes's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/Hip/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default Re: In anticipation of winter...

When going outside, I'd probably put my hair in a high cinnabun / messy bun and hide it under a beanie or I'd braid it and keep the braid inside my coat. Wearing it open is dreadful, especially when it snows. I get tangles for ages.

Length
    22/28/40
    Type
    1b/F/ii/iii

I always wear it in a braid (or 2), and then wear my braid in my coat as well. Sometimes I wear a bun in the (large, insulated) hood of my coat.

I wear a bun with this: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/...lorimetry.html If it's super cold, I'll wear a hooded coat, too.

Length
    28/CL+/???
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

I am scared of a winter time as well.. Here it can easily go down to -35C.... Air is extrimelt dry and my hair goes static like crazy... I think I will have my hair in a single braid while outside and hiding under my coat and then I wold put it up with the hair sticks/forks/ficcare when at work/home and such.

Length
    APL/Hip +/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by LipstickGirl View Post
    How does everyone cope with their hair in the winter? I'm in England (specifically, Leeds for university) and it can get really cold, cold enough to need a woolly hat. Before LHC, I just put my hair into a low ponytail or left it loose (it was about BSL length, same as it is now.) But I a) now want to grow my hair, so updos seem a good idea to protect it, and b) I anticipate that by December here my hair will be long enough that I won't want it loose. Even now I prefer it in a bun with spin pins.

What's the solution?
    Not that far away from you being in Lancashire i normally wear a low bun so that hat can comfortably sit over it i find the oval bun particularly good as it holds all day long and being braided it is far more secure oval bun this year i will probably live in this style log roll if your hair is long enough for a braided a folded braid is a good option folded braid

You could also just do a nice French braid thats good for fitting under a hat and i took the tail of mine under my coat, a folded French or dutch braid is very secure.
    APL 2010 BSL JUL 2010 WSL 2011 HIP 2013 Going for Tailbone December 2017

Length
    Chin/APL/TBL
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Knitted headbands are a good shout, or a baggy wooly hat if you want full head coverage, I wear one and I can put my hair up in a bun inside it and it looks no different.
    March '19
    (APL) >>> (BSL) >>> (WL) >>> (HL​​​​) >>> (BCL) >>> (TBL)

Length
    24/32.25/Dunno
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I wear a knitted hooded scarf/cowl. It gives me the greatest flexibility with hairstyles, no static, and keeps me cozy.

DweamGoiL

1c - 2a / f - m / ii | current length = 32.25 inches - working for a thick blunt hemline

Type
    2b/M/iii

While it doesn't get freezing cold here in the Bay Area, I usually wear a headscarf to keep my head warm.

If your hair is armpit length, you might want to try Lilith Moon's accent 2 strand rope braid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHE...JnxB87lwk9KbrA

It is important that in very cold weather ALL your hair is protected. If you prefer to wear it down, then try this protective style:

1) Gently detangle all hair
    2) Part it in two sections
    3) Take the right section and bring it around the back of the neck so that it lies flat on your chest on the left side
    4) Take the left section and bring it around the back of the neck so that it lies flat on your chest on the right side

Cover with heavy coat or jacket.

Your hair is protected and is comfortable too...and no pony tail damage to worry about either!

Length
    28/CL+/???
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by DweamGoiL View Post
    I wear a knitted hooded scarf/cowl. It gives me the greatest flexibility with hairstyles, no static, and keeps me cozy.

That is cute, But for real winter need to cower the forehead as well But I am considering making one of those for less cold days