Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair type confusion

Length
    18/27/40
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Default Hair type confusion

Hi all, I'm currently stuck on exactly what type to class my hair as!
    The top section tends to just have a few loose body waves (I think 1b or 1c? left photo)
    Whereas the underneath has loose spiral curls that go the entire length of the hairs, and some of them tend to form twisted ropey spirals (bottom right).
    It's almost as though I just have one layer of curls underneath and the rest is lightly waved.

I really have no idea what to make of it, it's nothing new, it's been doing this definitely for the last year at least (didn't pay too much attention before then) but it does make it a bit confusing as to what I should say my hair is.

Thanks in advance for any ideas
    Lady Gwilwilethel, Guardian of the Ancient Exmoors in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    20.27.22.23.24-(BSL)-25.26.27.28-(Waist!)-29...32-(hip)-33...35-(TBL)-36..39-(classic)-40

Type
    3a/M/ii

Default Re: Hair type confusion

It's not uncommon to have different hair types. The top of my hair is curly, whereas my underlayer is barely wavy, almost straight. And while it annoys me some days, there's not much I can do about it. I could type myself as a 2a according to my underlayer, but that would be ridiculously inaccurate. I type myself as curly because anyone looking at my hair for 2 seconds would say I have curly hair.

On the other hand, someone seeing you IRL would not think "Oh, she has curly hair." You have to choose an "overall" type, which is usually the type of the majority of your hair or the type of the top layer. Looking at the pictures in your signature as well as the ones you've posted, I would type you as a 1c because of your hair's tendency to wave or even "flip," even on the top layer (it's not completely straight). But it's totally possible to have 1b hair on top, and 2b underneath, or the other way around, so I guess... you can just call it whatever.

I feel your confusion.
    You cannot prevent the birds of sadness from passing over your head, but you can prevent their making a nest in your hair.

Length
    18/27/40
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Sounds like we're opposites on the typing front then
    I suppose going for what can be seen on top from behind makes more sense than trying to fuss with the under curls. But yes, a 1c to match the top layers is probably the best idea, thank you!

The signature photos are all just before washing so they're super greasy, but because my hair type varies a lot - even a tiny bit of handling to stop it going in my face might make it more curly or straight, so it's much easier to measure when it's all pulled more straight with its own oils xD
    Lady Gwilwilethel, Guardian of the Ancient Exmoors in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    20.27.22.23.24-(BSL)-25.26.27.28-(Waist!)-29...32-(hip)-33...35-(TBL)-36..39-(classic)-40

Length
    24/32.25/Dunno
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Rosalaun View Post
    Sounds like we're opposites on the typing front then
    I suppose going for what can be seen on top from behind makes more sense than trying to fuss with the under curls. But yes, a 1c to match the top layers is probably the best idea, thank you!

The signature photos are all just before washing so they're super greasy, but because my hair type varies a lot - even a tiny bit of handling to stop it going in my face might make it more curly or straight, so it's much easier to measure when it's all pulled more straight with its own oils xD
    To type your hair you need freshly washed hair with no product in it. I have a suspicion you are a 2a and have been fighting your waves. When you freshly wash it, you should comb it once to detangle and then hands off until it dries. That will tell you your actual hair type.
    DweamGoiL

1c - 2a / f - m / ii | current length = 32.25 inches - working for a thick blunt hemline

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

My hair is also slightly wavy on top and has nice curls underneath. I don't bother with the curls most of the time but it is fun to pull out a few short nape hairs, spritz them with water and magically have little curls under my bun.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    18/27/40
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Yep the posted photos (non signature) are all brushed first, then washed with a strong shampoo, my normal coney conditioner and then left down my back to dry without any wet combing - I did tuck the sides behind my ears but the main bulk at the back was left alone, didn't even put a jacket on or anything that it might have gotten caught up on

The thought of possibly being in the 2's is quite exciting though. I'm not sure how I might have been fighting waves... But I'm wondering if it'd be worth trying switching back to cone-free conditioners again, I tend to use cones because they make it really silky, but I've not tried cone-free since I bleached out my henna and I have noticed some people mentioning cone-free tends to encourage more... I think texture is the closest word I can think of right now.

I see you've also gone with your top layers for typing Neko_Kawaii, seems to be the main train of thought on here. Now that is an excellent idea of how to use the curls, I'd not thought of that, thanks for the tip

Just letting it grow ravenheather's Avatar
    Length
    16/23/Term
    Type
    2b/F/ii

I would call you 1c.

Going for terminal, but also enjoying wearing my hair down and curly.

Length
    24/32.25/Dunno
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I discovered my hair was wavy when I decided to try the Curly Girl method. That also turned me on to being cone free once again. I decided to go all out and get rid of SLS in my shampoo as well. I discovered that with a little gel; I use DevaCurl gel and some scrunching my hair actually can get pretty outright curly. I could not do entirely without shampoo though. My fine hair got weighed down and my scalp felt disgusting so I do use shampoo, but still follow a lot of the Curly Girl principles. The more I encouraged the wave, the more defined it became. I don't think you will have a super dramatic change, but I definitely think that with some encouragement, your hair's wave will be more prominent. As it stands right now, based on the pictures you posted, I do agree that you are a 1C. However, I do feel there is potential for your waves to be more defined.
    DweamGoiL

1c - 2a / f - m / ii | current length = 32.25 inches - working for a thick blunt hemline

Mediocre Clarinet Player ExpectoPatronum's Avatar
    Length
    APL/WST/CLSC
    Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

You and I have almost the same hair. Straight/barely wavy on top, but spirally wavy on the bottom. I went ahead with 2a as that's a little wavier than 1c and my 2b waves end up smoothing out to a 2a not long after my hair is dry anyway (though if I add gel, I could keep them if I wanted to).

You could very well be a 1c/2a. I'd experiment with the curly girl method. Your hair might even be curlier than that! Mine certainly was.

The CG method in a nutshell is where you use a cone-free conditioner to wash your hair instead of shampoo. There's more to it, but I think that's the biggest thing.

Starting from scratch
    7/4/2019
    Curly: SHDR.APL.BSL.MBL.WST.HIP.TB.CLSC
    Stretched: APL.BSL.MBL.WST.HIP.TB.CLSC
    Lady Andromeda, Keeper of Feathered Fauna, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    18/27/40
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

I've not heard of the curly girl method before, I'll definitely have to go and research that - I'd love to see if I do actually have more waves/curls hiding in there somewhere. ExpectoPatronum - yay somebody else with the same mix
    So yes, general consensus - 1c for now, but worth trying a different method and maybe a possibility of being a little more wavy.
    Thanks all ^^