Thread: diy ayurvedic hair oil

Length
    9/APL/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default diy ayurvedic hair oil

I stumbled across Khadi strong amla oil, and really started craving some good herbal hair oil right now Love the ingredients, it has amla, bhringaraj, neem among others, a little bit of henna too.
    But I did not buy it, it is sun flower and sesame oil based. Too bad all these really good ayurvedic hair oils almost always either sesame or coconut oil based. Which are oils that don't suit my hair for deep over-night oiling.

So I ended up buying some powders! I got a really good price on amla, bhringaraj and neem powders. And I plan to make my own oil. Using only my own favorite oils as a base, a blend of avocado and castor oil 50-50.

I think I will use an ayurvedic method of making the oil, first decocting the powders in water, to get the most of the water soluble constituents. And then boil that with the oils until all the water has evaporated to infuse the oil with all the good stuff I can get from these powders. And then straining through a cheese cloth.

It is a little bit more cumbersome than just heating the oil with the powders and then straining it. There is a risk of some water not evaporating and also to cook it for too long and burning it. But I still want to give it a try, if I succeed I should have some really good quality custom made oil

I have done this once before, as I wrote in this post many years ago:
    https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...light=amla+oil

I remember that it smelled a little bit burned, and it was coconut oil based. So it was not as successful as it may have sounded in that thread

Oh I forgot to add that I would appreciate it if anyone here have made something similar to share your best tips and tricks.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Fethenwen; September 13th, 2024 at 12:28 AM.

Lets see how long this little lump can get. Viva la natural!
    Lady Nemetona, Adept of the Henna Flame in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Default Re: diy ayurvedic hair oil

Quote Originally Posted by Fethenwen View Post
    I stumbled across Khadi strong amla oil, and really started craving some good herbal hair oil right now Love the ingredients, it has amla, bhringaraj, neem among others, a little bit of henna too.
    But I did not buy it, it is sun flower and sesame oil based. Too bad all these really good ayurvedic hair oils almost always either sesame or coconut oil based. Which are oils that don't suit my hair for deep over-night oiling.

So I ended up buying some powders! I got a really good price on amla, bhringaraj and neem powders. And I plan to make my own oil. Using only my own favorite oils as a base, a blend of avocado and castor oil 50-50.

I think I will use an ayurvedic method of making the oil, first decocting the powders in water, to get the most of the water soluble constituents. And then boil that with the oils until all the water has evaporated to infuse the oil with all the good stuff I can get from these powders. And then straining through a cheese cloth.

It is a little bit more cumbersome than just heating the oil with the powders and then straining it. There is a risk of some water not evaporating and also to cook it for too long and burning it. But I still want to give it a try, if I succeed I should have some really good quality custom made oil

I have done this once before, as I wrote in this post many years ago:
    https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...light=amla+oil

I remember that it smelled a little bit burned, and it was coconut oil based. So it was not as successful as it may have sounded in that thread

Oh I forgot to add that I would appreciate it if anyone here have made something similar to share your best tips and tricks.
    Thanks!
    Your method of using an Ayurvedic approach with a decoction of powders and then infusing the oils sounds like a great way to extract both water-soluble and oil-soluble nutrients. The blend of avocado and castor oil should make for a deeply nourishing combination.

Length
    9/APL/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default Re: diy ayurvedic hair oil

^ Yes, exactly! That is why I went through all the trouble, I would say so far it is really really worth it
    I have been using it for a few weeks now, love the results. I should post some pics.

Lets see how long this little lump can get. Viva la natural!
    Lady Nemetona, Adept of the Henna Flame in the Order of the Long Haired Knights