Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Why won't my hair stay detangled?

Type
    1a/F/ii

Default Re: Why won't my hair stay detangled?

So I've experimented with my hair brushes a bit, and it does seem like the boar bristles are contributing to the tangles. So I guess the question is, is there something else, like another type of brush or something, that would have the same benefit for my scalp (distributing the oils to keep the flakes away) but wouldn't tangle my hair?

Quote Originally Posted by Annapox View Post
    So I've experimented with my hair brushes a bit, and it does seem like the boar bristles are contributing to the tangles. So I guess the question is, is there something else, like another type of brush or something, that would have the same benefit for my scalp (distributing the oils to keep the flakes away) but wouldn't tangle my hair?
    I have good luck with a wooden bristle brush for dry brushing to really massage scalp and it’s amazing at not creating static fly aways (I have the brand TEK, but there are cheaper versions). The Tangle Teezer works very well for me, too and I use for wet brushing and dry brushing
    Maintaining 31” HL last bleach nov 2020 final goal is HL virgin hair by 6/2025 for my 40th

Type
    1a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by rosenester View Post
    I have good luck with a wooden bristle brush for dry brushing to really massage scalp and it’s amazing at not creating static fly aways (I have the brand TEK, but there are cheaper versions). The Tangle Teezer works very well for me, too and I use for wet brushing and dry brushing
    I thought wooden combs and brushes got water damage from being used on wet hair. Is that not the case?

I use the wooden brush only on dry hair, like before showering or in the morning
    Maintaining 31” HL last bleach nov 2020 final goal is HL virgin hair by 6/2025 for my 40th

Type
    1a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by rosenester View Post
    I use the wooden brush only on dry hair, like before showering or in the morning
    Oh, sorry, I misread your statement about the Tangle Teezer and thought you were talking about the wooden brush. That makes more sense.

I was looking at some wooden brushes, and some of them say they promote sebum production. I don't want my scalp to get any oilier; have you found that the wooden brush makes your scalp oilier?

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    Bra/Thigh/Knee
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    Some hair is also just prone to tangles. Mine is. When I first started growing it, I thought "Well, probably things like blow-drying and stuff damaged it, but eventually that 'old' hair will grow out and be gone after enough trims." Except I realized after a few years that it never did and in fact the hair that grew after I started trying to be nice to my hair was the same way. Then my mom reminded me that the reason she convinced me to cut my hair short when I was a kid was because it was always so tangly. Oh, it's not my fault! So I just find ways to deal with it and accept that I'm never going to have that perfectly-smooth and easy-to-style hair that some people have.
    Definitely agree.

The only way I can get perfectly-smooth and easy-to-style hair is to use a flat iron….which I’ve avoided for 4 years now. Not gonna start back up again because ironically, with the perfect smoothness, comes eventual damaged hair…especially when using every day or often.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I think, maybe contrary to popular belief, that there is no way near perfect & perfectly detangled hair. I think there's always going to be tangles in hair of some sort over the course of a day. Yes, that means as soon as you detangled, welp there they are, again. I think it's a never-ending cycle. If you can maintain it "rather well", I think that's the most you can ask for!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    APL/FTL/TERM
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

Sometimes I wonder if your idea of “detangled” hair is a bit different from “standard” ones, of course each person might be different, a person might even have different standards at different phrase of life.
    For me, now, since I don’t use a comb or brush anymore, detangled hair means I weave my fingers through the dry strands slowly and gently from the ends and then work my way up to the roots, there will be a little friction, and a few sheds, that’s expected, but no big struggles and zero breakage or knots. My hair ends have turned semi-permanently wavy 1b because I bun or braid 90% of the time. So my detangled hair still looks messy and unkempt to most “untrained” eyes, but I don’t care about it anymore as long as I can throw it into a bun without strangling my fingers.
    But in the past, back when I was a high pony tail girl who still used a comb, my idea of detangled hair meant combing through my 1a wet or dry hair from roots to ends forcefully, the comb should be gliding right through in one swift motion, and I would end up with very sleek, pin straight hair, even slightly curly ends would be unthinkable to me. But of course, back then I didn’t really pay attention to how terrible that was destroying my hair. I cringe just thinking about that.
    Funny how your perspective changes along with your major hair care routine.
    Last edited by tuanyiji; September 27th, 2022 at 11:02 AM.
    107cm 1b/C/10.2cm Fingercomb/Bun/Water-only No-Trim/Elastic/Heat
    [Youtube][Instagram][Fun with Flowers][Shed Hair Hand-tie Project][ABC Hairstyle Challenge]

Quote Originally Posted by Annapox View Post
    Oh, sorry, I misread your statement about the Tangle Teezer and thought you were talking about the wooden brush. That makes more sense.

I was looking at some wooden brushes, and some of them say they promote sebum production. I don't want my scalp to get any oilier; have you found that the wooden brush makes your scalp oilier?
    Personnally, I don’t find it extra oily. I do wash my bangs daily or everyother day with dry shampoo, but the entire scalp gets shampoo’d Sunday and Wednesday (usually!), if I use the TEK brush one week and not the other, hair is the same amount of oily either way!

ETA, I think this may be a difference in hair type such as F vs C. My tangles very easily and sometimes tangles itself again before I’ve finished detangling! Oils and serums help, keeping it bunned helps. I am not going for a very neat look, my face framing bits and bangs are often all over the place, I just want my lengths to be manageable. So I am loving coming back to this thread to share and receive tips
    Last edited by rosenester; September 27th, 2022 at 10:55 AM.

I will eat all your tofu maborosi's Avatar
    Length
    16"/38.5"/55"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Some hair is prone to tangling. Mine will if I don't use silicones.
    A good alternative to boar bristle that a lot of people like here is the tangle teezer. It's pretty much the only brush I use since it does a good job removing tangles and doesn't make my hair oily at all.