Thread: Got layers? Mousse works great for holding braids together!

Type
    1c/F/i/ii

Default Got layers? Mousse works great for holding braids together!

I learned this tip from watching black braiders on IG, so maybe this is common knowledge in the black community but I (white) only learned it recently so maybe this will be new to some of you too. Mousse is great for preventing braid shred! I recently cut layers and without any product my braids look messy immediately after braiding and rapidly get worse. But I went to Disneyland this weekend and needed a hairstyle that would hold up all day and wanted to do two braids, so I tried using mousse. I dampened my hair slightly with water before braiding, then applied mousse after braiding. I was amazed at how well they held up. At the end of the day they looked good as new!

I squirted a golf ball sized amount of mousse into my hand and gently rubbed it over each braid, then gently squeezed the braid to distribute the product towards the interior of the braid. Then I used the residual mousse on my hands to smooth down my hair around my part and ears. It's ok if the mousse is still visible at this point, it will quickly disappear as the foam breaks down.

It was also super easy to comb through at the end of the day, which was nice because I hate it when my hair feels glued together. The only downside is that the braid itself feels a little crunchy, which I don't love so I probably won't be doing this for everyday hairstyles but I will do it again next time I need a sturdy hairstyle!

Length
    MBL/MBL/KNEE

Default Re: Got layers? Mousse works great for holding braids together!

Yes, if I want my hair to be neater when braiding in its curly state, I will use gel or curl custard while braiding.
    MBL~WL~HL~TBL~ FTL~ KNEE

Length
    Bald/BCL/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ETJ CURLS View Post
    Yes, if I want my hair to be neater when braiding in its curly state, I will use gel or curl custard while braiding.
    A good tip.
    Don't use much products in my hair, but might try this next time I want to wear a braid.
    Lady Moon of the forests of wonderland, in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights
    🧜On instagram: yareach_lhc

Thank you for this tip AuthorityCat, must try!

Type
    1c/F/i/ii

Another thing I like about mousse is I can apply it after braiding. If it's a product I have to apply before braiding, I feel like my hair sticks to my hands too much and I end up pulling a lot out.