Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My idea of a cool way to measure progress throughout a year

Length
    Short/27,4/TB:)
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Default My idea of a cool way to measure progress throughout a year

And I apologize if somone else ALLREADY have thought about this and posted about it! I couldn`t find anything regarding this so hopefully I am not boring you with something "old".

I measured for the VERY first time today, and it was 68 cm, or 26,8 inches.

Well, over to my idea. I thought it was a littlebit fun to do and I wanted to share with you guys who are growing, and just starting to grow. Because this is something you can do to touch and SEE your progress without taking pictures!!

This is easier to do with help I am afraid, so get someone to help you put their finger exactly where the hair stops, unless you yourself are an octopus and can do it yourself, lol

I had my husband help me, and here is how it works!

1)
    Take a piece of string and cut it longer than your hair, this is crucial! Put the very END of the string exactly where your hair starts on your forhead and let it slide downwards and over your hair.

2) Let the person behind you put their fingernails on the string exactly where the end of the hair meets the string.

3) Keep the fingernails on the string and cut it with scissors so the string is the same as the length of your hair.

Done correctly you now will have a piece of string EXACTLY the length of your hair!

4) Put a piece of see through tape on the ends of the string so it won`t unravel and be "frizzy". Put the strin in the string in an envelope and close it.

You can also put different colored tape on the strings to make them stand out from eachother if you prefer, or to write the length, date and year on a sticker and attach it to the string itself! The options are endless here, so do what you prefer.

5) Mark the envelope with the length of the string, the date of measurement and year. SEAL the envelope, it isn`t going to be opened until a YEAR has passed!

Do this once a month, for a whole year and you can see how much your hair has grown in a year without taking pictures!

Practical for those who don`t have a camera, or those who want to see the progress in a different way (like me, lol).

What do you think guys? Sounds like fun?

I have done the first one today and I wrote on the envelope:

First measurement
    May 6`th 2010
    68 cm=26,8 inches

I will do this once a month for a whole year.

When the year is over I will open ALL the envelopes, take out the strings and put them beside eachother so they go from may 2010 to may 2011.

Anyone think this sounds like fun? Or...

Length
    18/29/???
    Type
    2a/C/ii

Default Re: My idea of a cool way to measure progress throughout a year

sounds great fun, but way too much discipline for me!

good luck

Length
    Pixie/APL/35"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Good idea! I have a hard time measuring my hair, so I'm not sure how it would work for me in the future. Good luck, I'm sure you'll be amazed at what you see in a year
    Goals: Ponytail | French Braids | 1 French Braid | English Braid | Bun
    Ultimate Goal Length: Hip

Gregorian Enchantress Theobroma's Avatar
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Sounds like fun! I think I'm going to do this on the first of every month, which means I'll need to wait until the first of June to measure my first string.

Mind you, whether I'll be able to sustain the self-discipline to wait a whole year before comparing the strings is another story!

Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

Great idea, I'm going to do this, but, like Theobroma, I'm not sure I'll be able to wait a hole year to open those envelopes

Better late than never !

Length
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Hey, replies
    And thanks guys!
    It isn`t that important not to compare the strings before a year has ended, lol, but I myself want to do it just for the fun of it just to get sort of a "ta-daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" moment

The most important thing is to have fun with it, so it would be suuuuper fun for me if some people in here want to do it tooooo
    And no matter what the results are, if they are like this, with a shockingly long result
    Or miniscule result
    we have done a fun hair-project

Length
    BSL/BCL/CLAS
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

Another way you could do it is to stand against the wall and draw a small pencil dot where your hair ends. A bit like measuring your height when you were small, except this time the dots will be progressing DOWNWARDS!
    Stop cruelty to apostrophe's.

Gregorian Enchantress Theobroma's Avatar
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

...except this time the dots will be progressing DOWNWARDS!
    AAAND... we'd get to draw on the walls! Bonus!!

Length
    pixie/cheek/BS
    Type
    1a/M/i/ii

This sounds like fun! I think I will do it, but like others I don't think I will be able to resist comparing the strings.

Length
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Bethie View Post
    This sounds like fun! I think I will do it, but like others I don't think I will be able to resist comparing the strings.
    Thanks Bethie
    I will try ( I SAID tryyy) and resist string-comparing myself untill a year has past...but, uh, it may be hard after say six measurements, lol...

But I will try because I think of how much fun it will be at the LAST measuing, to go and get the other envelopes and rip them open!