Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hair Trauma?

Length
    bob/Waist/TB
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default Hair Trauma?

Is it just me or have you ever felt "traumatized" by one of the hair products you were trying for the first time??

In my search for a hair conditioner that will work well for my hair type (2a/F) I just finished experimenting with a new conditioner and it made my hair a huge rat's nest! Even now, I'm feeling sort of traumatized and a little unsure about trying another new product!

Anyone else experience that feeling???? How did you get over it?????

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Hair Trauma?

I tried mixing a little baking soda with my shampoo to clarify years ago, and it made my hair matt together like felt - so horrible! I couldn't get my fingers or a comb through my hair without conditioner in it. It took about 2 weeks of daily conditioner soaks before my hair returned to normal.

Solution - leave baking soda in the kitchen.

The middle of My Forest, where fairies dwell.
    Length
    17in/tb/50in
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I have had this happen before only it wasn't my hair that was traumatized but my scalp. I had blisters show up all over my scalp after washing my hair. I suffered with them for almost a month. I am now a faithful reader of labels. The product that I used had wheat germ in it and I am allergic to wheat. Not good. Before that reaction I had been told that skin and hair products shouldn't be a problem. But I found out differently.

I hope that your hair recovers quickly.
    ............ ....... ....................

Length
    16"?/29"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I had the same experience with bs as Spidermom. I giggled when I read her solution So right. Soap based products such as CV bars and AO products made my hair a total mess. My solution was to clarify and revisit products I had on hand. I gave the CV bars to AutumnLeaves. I hung on to the AO products for several years and finally tossed it all in my latest fit of cleaning. The way I get over something horrible is to clarify and then do something like a nice rich SMT treatment. The hair traumas are something that's almost bound to happen as you try new things. Your hair isn't going to be agreeable with every thing you try. You just move on and either go back to what worked before or you try something else.

I am not here to decorate your world

Length
    22/37/34 +
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Luckily, I haven't encountered anything that has had a horrid outcome. So far, I just stick to what works and don't bother branching out too often...

I suggest clarifying, going back to what you were doing before as well as a few intense treatments of something your hair likes. Like an SMT perhaps?

The hair is the richest ornament of women.~Martin Luther Avatar photo Oct 2008, Signature Sept. 2011

Length
    18"/MB/MB
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Oh boy, yes do I understand where you're coming from! I've been in hair-trauma mode now for about a month. I ended up doing what HeavenlyLocks said: clarified and went back to what worked (with a slight variation).

I want so badly to try all these things that other people swear by, here. My hair hates coconut oil for some reason. After this past month of disasters, I'm also too afraid to branch out.

Length
    TBL/FTL+/TRMNL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Yes - apple cider vinegar (ACV in LHC-ese). I think it was just too acidic for my hair, which loves protein and some of the heavier nutrients. I ended up clarifying and going CO right afterwards, because I felt I needed more moisture at that time than anything else. I haven't looked back.
    Current Length: 47" (Fingertip length), 2b/2c, ii, F/M
    Longest ever achieved: 55.5" (Upper Calf Length)

Lady Deipneus of the Gifted Hands in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Length
    1/4/short/n/a
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

I've been lucky as far as my hair is concerned. The most that's happen is it became huge and poofy.

But, my scalp... that's a different story entirely. When I tried the brown sugar scrub on my scalp the pain lasted for days. That was at least a year ago. I'm still not really over it.
    Last edited by AJoifulNoise; December 4th, 2009 at 10:05 AM. Reason: More info

Length
    Ear/TBL/CL
    Type
    3b/M/i

I haven't had any traumatizing experienced but I did go through a whole bottle of conditioner in two days, no matter how much I used it felt like there was no conditioner in my hair and my hair was so tangled and stiff in the end. I will never use said conditioner again.
    Chin-Shoulder-APL-BSL-Waist-Hip-TBL-Classical-MTL-Knee---Onward and Downward

Type
    2a/M/C/ii

Is it only me that has mini hair traumas sometimes from products that work great other times??? makes me crazy ...