Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tips for growing long hair

Default tips for growing long hair

Hi,

I am new to this site and loving it already. I have fine thin hair. I just wanted to know what should be the easy routine for growing long healthy hair. I always try to grow my hair long but end up cutting them short because the ends become rough and thin.

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Take care of it, and wear it up regularly.

Read this article for information on how to look after your hair: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...le&articleid=8
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Length
    22/34/term
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

1) Get a nice trim to get rid of any dead/split ends. Consider having a friend do this if you don't want to go to a salon. Don't think it has to be 4 inches, a small trim might work.

2) Your first few months is going to be about finding out what works for you and what doesn't! Find out what your hair likes as far as products go- cones or no cones, CWC or CO etc etc.

3) Read the article in the above post-- its all about daily handling of your hair. If you have even slightly wavy hair or better, you might consider throwing away all brushes and using combs only! The only exception to this might be getting yourself a Boar Bristle Brush- you can get these from any beauty supply place-- I wouldn't go cheap, though, this should be a quality brush.

4) Try to seek out others that have your own hair type and start out with what they do as far as products and haircare are concerned. This will give you a jumping off point to start finding your routine.

5) Protective updos! This is hard for many people who have short hair at first. Find out what braid or bunning styles you can try that keep your hair protected and restrained in day to day activities.

Hope this helps!!
    My Photo Journal like books?-- see my journal!
    I am lady Athena, keeper of wisdom, in the order of the long haired knights!

Length
    Short/Tlb/Knee?

1)Use a comb when brushing wet hair
    2)Moisturize it - honey is wonderful!
    3)Updos are great for keeping it safe!

Length
    25/40/45
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Welcome Amna!

My hair is not really that fine, but my ends are very thin. I used to do exactly what you said - let it grow and then ended up cutting off several inches just to be back where I started! This went on for many years!

I have discovered that frequent (every 2-3 months) small trims (1/4"-1/2") have helped very much.

Enjoy yourself here on LHC and I wish you magical hair growth as you learn more about the care of your hair!
    TammySue

Length
    7/knee/knee
    Type
    1a/F/i

Default Good Information

good useful information for growing longhair

Length
    24.5/40/???
    Type
    1a/F/ii

As a fellow 1aF - I've found that frequent deep conditioning treatments, gentle care, infrequent trimming and patience is the key! HTH!
    Gentle Care for Healthy Hair, ~Kara

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Couple of things--
    GET A SEAMLESS COMB. A bone comb from Heavenly harvest is good, a bakalite comb from Hairsense is better (in my opinion, others may disagree). Carved combs as opposed to combs cast from a mold are much kinder to your hair and don't have seams to tear your hair up.

Wear your hair up or contained. Most of the new damage I have on my hair is caused by my boyfriend's car door, my clothes, and my backpack.

If your hair is fine or fragile, do not constantly comb or brush it.

If you like brushes (like I do), invest in a Denman. They're available at Sally's.

Length
    pixie/hip/TB
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

One thing thats helped me in making my ends look fuller and just plain better is less frequent washing, and experimenting with poo bars. Poo bars = lots of body, though it takes a bit of getting used to (Im still trying )

Length
    pixie/waist/tb
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Experiment experiment experiment. Travel to new and exotic health stores and drugstores and buy exciting things for your hair. Read the labels and decide if your hair likes cones and oils. Try an SMT. Try a Chagrin Valley shampoo bar. Try a heavy oiling.

Buy a few nice-looking and non damaging hair beaks/forks/ties so you'll be more inclined to tie your hair up.

Get in the long hair mindset. Learn to think about the damage you are doing every time you are rough with your detangling or heat process/dye your hair.

Read up on herbal treatments, you may learn to love henna, cassia, or indigo.

Let your hair be dirty sometimes. Nobody really cares, and your hair will thank you for it. Put it up in a bun and forget about it. Eventually you'll be able to wash it less and save damage from washing and detangling.

Look up information on those with a similar hairtype and try the things that have worked for them. I have a similar hairtype and my routine is listed in my blog.

Read this forum to keep yourself motivated.