Page 283 of 285 FirstFirst ... 183233273281282283284285 LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,830 of 2843

Thread: Catnip for split ends?

Default Re: Catnip for split ends?

I’ve tried catnip twice and I’m not sure what to think, I would welcome any advice!

The first time I got the dilution a bit wrong, I did a heaped teaspoon to around 250 ml water. I realised while it was brewing so I topped it up to 400 ml. I kept it on for 35 minutes as I didn’t have time to do the full hour. My hair was tangled when I rinsed so I used conditioner and my usual extras (leave in, curl cream, flaxseed gel). Result - nice waves, my scalp was fine.

The second time (next wash) I clarified/chelated and got the dilution right I left in on for an hour under a shower cap. When I rinsed the ends were slightly tangled but not too bad. I needed something extra to avoid damage. I didn’t use rinse out conditioner but I did use leave in, curl cream and flaxseed gel. Result - lovely defined waves, lovely shine...but then my scalp started to itch.

I never get an itchy scalp so this has baffled me a bit. The dilution was more or less the same each time (by the time I added water to the first batch). Maybe the chelating shampoo was too much, because I didn’t get an itchy scalp when I used a sulphate free shampoo. The chelating shampoo has never given me problems before though.

The obvious answer would be to keep the catnip away from my roots, but the hair that would really benefit is right at the roots, around the hairline. Hairs that usually break off at around 4-6 inches are forming curls with catnip, much better than they do when I use oil on them. I don’t know any way to get catnip onto those short hairs without it getting onto the scalp.

ETA: I used hard water the first time and soft water the second. I am not the Queen of controlled experiments Maybe the second batch was too acidic for my scalp.

Any ideas on how I could use catnip in the future?
    Last edited by Lady Stardust; June 3rd, 2019 at 01:10 AM.

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
    I’ve tried catnip twice and I’m not sure what to think, I would welcome any advice!

The first time I got the dilution a bit wrong, I did a heaped teaspoon to around 250 ml water. I realised while it was brewing so I topped it up to 400 ml. I kept it on for 35 minutes as I didn’t have time to do the full hour. My hair was tangled when I rinsed so I used conditioner and my usual extras (leave in, curl cream, flaxseed gel). Result - nice waves, my scalp was fine.

The second time (next wash) I clarified/chelated and got the dilution right I left in on for an hour under a shower cap. When I rinsed the ends were slightly tangled but not too bad. I needed something extra to avoid damage. I didn’t use rinse out conditioner but I did use leave in, curl cream and flaxseed gel. Result - lovely defined waves, lovely shine...but then my scalp started to itch.

I never get an itchy scalp so this has baffled me a bit. The dilution was more or less the same each time (by the time I added water to the first batch). Maybe the chelating shampoo was too much, because I didn’t get an itchy scalp when I used a sulphate free shampoo. The chelating shampoo has never given me problems before though.

The obvious answer would be to keep the catnip away from my roots, but the hair that would really benefit is right at the roots, around the hairline. Hairs that usually break off at around 4-6 inches are forming curls with catnip, much better than they do when I use oil on them. I don’t know any way to get catnip onto those short hairs without it getting onto the scalp.

ETA: I used hard water the first time and soft water the second. I am not the Queen of controlled experiments Maybe the second batch was too acidic for my scalp.

Any ideas on how I could use catnip in the future?
    It would still touch your scalp, but perhaps less if you use a spray bottle?

I use catnip as one of the ingredients in my home made "deep conditioner" before washing my hair, but also as one of the ingredients, in a spray bottle in between washes.

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Quote Originally Posted by TatsuOni View Post
    It would still touch your scalp, but perhaps less if you use a spray bottle?

I use catnip as one of the ingredients in my home made "deep conditioner" before washing my hair, but also as one of the ingredients, in a spray bottle in between washes.
    Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it. A spray bottle is worth a try, I think, if I’m careful. Maybe I should try a slightly weaker dilution to be on the safe side.

I had a look at your blog because I remember you posting about your mask on there. It looks lovely Your hair is obviously thriving on it too. I have some marshmallow root, but only powder, I might try that.

I might also try making flaxseed gel with catnip tea.

My hair is waving from the root today which is either down to the catnip, or the oil I put in scalp to soothe the itching Unfortunately I have to wash my hair today though, I can’t get away with oily roots.

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
    Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it. A spray bottle is worth a try, I think, if I’m careful. Maybe I should try a slightly weaker dilution to be on the safe side.

I had a look at your blog because I remember you posting about your mask on there. It looks lovely Your hair is obviously thriving on it too. I have some marshmallow root, but only powder, I might try that.

I might also try making flaxseed gel with catnip tea.

My hair is waving from the root today which is either down to the catnip, or the oil I put in scalp to soothe the itching Unfortunately I have to wash my hair today though, I can’t get away with oily roots.
    Good luck and please tell us how it goes!

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    neck/apl/waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

What about “white dots” and breakage, will it (or anything) reduce or eliminate them?

I get splits, but not enough that I consider them a real problem. The dots, however, is another story.
    Last edited by CosmoCat; June 18th, 2019 at 03:28 AM. Reason: add
    25”...on my way to BSL with a goal of waist.

Length
    20"/28.5"/CL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I just wanted to post that I have tried this the last few weeks and I am amazed at how well it works to replace conditioner for me!

For the first few weeks I have been washing twice a week with silicone free shampoo, then letting a tea rinse sit for one hour and rinsing it out. This week I have done an only scalp wash and then used the catnip tea as a leave in with a couple of drops of argan oil over the damp hair. So I have used it two different ways now and it works good. I can’t believe I have not tried it before.
    Lady Nisaba, Scribe of the Celestial Scrolls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    BSL/clas/?
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by calmyogi View Post
    I just wanted to post that I have tried this the last few weeks and I am amazed at how well it works to replace conditioner for me!

For the first few weeks I have been washing twice a week with silicone free shampoo, then letting a tea rinse sit for one hour and rinsing it out. This week I have done an only scalp wash and then used the catnip tea as a leave in with a couple of drops of argan oil over the damp hair. So I have used it two different ways now and it works good. I can’t believe I have not tried it before.
    So glad it - catnip tea - is working for you. You may find it slightly tints your hair red. It will wash out.

Length
    BSL/clas/?
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Hellebore View Post
    That's good to know! I will have to borrow some of her catnip and give it a try then.
    I have found that if my hair is still damp, the cats love me. Twice it has happened that a usually antisocial cat comes up to me and rubs and purrs. Owners have been surprised. The cats don't go crazy, tho. And the magic disappears when my hair is dry.

Length
    BSL/clas/?
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by chiapommama View Post
    I wish I could use it. I tried it twice and both times I itched like mad and scratched like a hound. Truly YMMV. Just my experience with it .Glad it's working for you guys and gals! Carry on!
    You could try just dipping your ends or the last foot or two of hair so it doesn't get on your scalp or skin. Worth a try. Too bad about your reaction.

Length
    BSL/clas/?
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Kathie View Post
    I've just given this a go... 1 tsp in 275 ml of almost boiling water, steeped until just warm. Shampooed and rinsed the catnip tea through. Left it baged and toweled for 40 min and then rinsed. I definitly noticed a difference. I dont usually condition above my ears, this hair is now silkier. It helped define my waves through the length too!

I have a cold brew in the fridge for later in the week. Just warm water to begin the steeping process. I'll fliter it sometime tomorrow. (This is how I make my ice teas... so thought that it would likely work here too).
    You don't need to rinse it out. It DOES define waves more.