Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2-nitro-p-phenylenediamine (ppd?) in Manic Panic?

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default 2-nitro-p-phenylenediamine (ppd?) in Manic Panic?

Hi everyone!

I am a bit confused at the moment. I have a ppd-allergy and manic panic claims to be ppd free. However I saw 2-nitro-p-phenylenediamine in the ingredient list (of my ultra violet colour). Does anyone know if this is a ''safe'' form of ppd then? This seems to be false advertising.

I mailed the company as well, but I don't know if I will trust their statement without someone backing it up and perhaps someone on LHC might know more about it

(And for people dying their hair with manic panic... does your colour also have this ingredient on the list?).
    Last edited by Alacris~; February 1st, 2016 at 03:37 AM. Reason: (Typo..)
    ~ ~

Type
    2a/F/i

Default Re: 2-nitro-p-phenylenediamine (ppd?) in Manic Panic?

I just checked my tub of Purple Haze and that ingredient is not listed on it.

Ingredient for manic panic purple haze:
    Purified Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth 20, Propylene Glycol, Aloe Vera, Citric Acid, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, C.I. 42600, C.I. 50240, C.I. 51004

I checked out the ingredients for ultra violet on Sally's website and it's not listed there either. That's really odd, I'm not sure why it would be different!

BSL: Made it!Off to Waist!

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Thank you for checking!

Maybe it is because it's the high voltage version.. Which they sadly don't have at Sally's in that colour (would be nice for the ingredient list). The other high voltage one's don't have it listed either though..

So confusing:P.
    ~ ~

Length
    SL/NL/BCL?
    Type
    1c/M/C/iii

Would you be able to do a patch test before applying it on your hair?
    (My Holy Grails Here) Shampoo + Conditioner + LOC method
    Chin > Neck > Shoulder > CBL > APL > BSL > WL > HL > TBL > Classic?

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Yeah, but *is* that PPD?
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Yeah, but *is* that PPD?
    2NPPD and PPD are related.
    2-nitro-p-phenylenediamine - a primary amino compound that is p-phenylenediamine in which one of the hydrogens attached to the benzene ring is replaced by a nitro group. It is a cosmetic hair dye intermediate that is used in permanent hair colouring products (diluted 1:1 with an oxidising agent prior to application).
    http://www.ebi.ac.uk/chebi/searchId....=CHEBI%3A76394
    Human Toxicity Excerpts:
    /HUMAN EXPOSURE STUDIES/ Thirty-nine hairdressers were patch tested for 24 hours with 2-nitro-p-phenylenediamine (2NPPD). Thirty-two of the hairdressers had no history of allergic contact dermatitis from p-phenylenediamine, and none of these 32 had a positive reaction to 2NPPD. One of seven hairdressers who had experienced strongly positive reactions to p-phenylenediamine was positive for 2NPPD. The researchers suggested that this may have been a cross reaction.
    http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/si...rm+@DOCNO+4098

Alacris, I'm really sorry, but if this is listed on the box and you have an allergy to it, I really wouldn't risk it, to be perfectly honest. Sometimes the same product will have different ingredients listed on the website versus what's listed on the specific box you buy, but the listing on the box has prevalence, since the website might be updated to new formulations while the box sold locally may still be old and have the old formula (that's just one of the examples of discrepancies, other possible differences include products sold in different countries having different formulas despite the same name).

Do check with the company and mention your PPD allergy, of course - and email them a photo or full listing of the ingredients you see on the box - maybe it's just an old product or some problem with the listing on the box? They might even be able to replace the product? I'd definitely confirm with the company before even considering a patch test. Also, don't be afraid to ask your doctor about this, if you have any doubts about specific products.

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Thank you everyone for responding!

@khryz Well I can patch test but it is not always a conclusive way of testing.. (especially as my reaction was mostly swelling when a larger area is dyed). I guess I am too scared to try if it is a ppd component..

@lapushka That is exactly what I was wondering! .. But it sounded too much like ppd and as I did not see the ingredient listed anywhere I got confused and a bit scared:P

@meteor Thank you for your reply. That was my feeling as well. Thanks a lot for checking and responding!! It always helps to have others look at the ''problem'' as well ! And you are right, it might be an old product, or different ingredients due to the country or something like that I will wait for the response of the company and take it from there
    Last edited by Alacris~; January 31st, 2016 at 03:32 PM.
    ~ ~

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

*double post*
    Last edited by Alacris~; January 31st, 2016 at 03:12 PM.
    ~ ~

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Well, after meteor's info - I would NOT use this thing! This shouldn't be in things like Manic Panic.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Manic Panic's response:

"
    Hi *****!

Thank you for contacting Manic Panic!
    Could you possibly send us a photo of the jar to reference your findings? As this information is not accurate we would like to see where you found this information from?

Thanks so much,
    "

So I guess it really shouldn't be in there...
    ~ ~