View Poll Results: Is wet hair a "good" look?

Voters
298. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and I wear my hair wet in public

62 20.81%
  • No, but I wear my hair wet in public anyway

133 44.63%
  • Yes, but I don't wear my hair wet in public

16 5.37%
  • No, and I don't wear my hair wet in public

87 29.19%
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Is wet hair a "good" look?

Herb user/hair origamist icydove's Avatar
    Type
    2b/C/ii

Default Is wet hair a "good" look?

I've never regularly dried my hair with a blowdryer because 1) the heat is damaging, and 2) I have thick hair that takes FOREVER to blowdry. I've always liked how my hair looked wet, so it has never bothered me. When I was working, I got in trouble for wearing my hair wet, so I either had to wash it the night before or disguise the wetness with some sort of updo.

Lately, when I see people with wet hair out, I don't think it looks very good on them. It got me to thinking, maybe I look like that

So, what I want to know is if you think wet hair is a good look, and do you go out of the house with wet hair? I know there are variations of wet, so for the sake of argument, let's go with a medium wetness, between soaked and damp

I know we aren't here to "decorate other people's worlds," and many people don't care what other people think about their hair. Just, in general, is wet hair a becoming look?

ETA: Just to clarify, I'm talking about wearing your hair down, not in an updo, braid, etc.
    Last edited by icydove; March 20th, 2008 at 11:34 AM. Reason: clarification
    Wash: shikakai and amla tea, Condition: hibiscus and elderflower tea with honey
    Leave-in: aloe vera gel and apricot kernel oil, Extras when needed: coconut oil and shea butter

Length
    28/idk/waist
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

I usually wash before I go to bed, but occasionally I wash it in the morning, too. Before I leave the house, my scalp and nape area are usually dry(I dry with a towel) and I don't let the length loose behind me, I drape it over my shoulder. I don't think it looks necessarily wet, but I think my hair looks/feels its best while it's drying.
    My nail polish blog
    http://ojevitrini.blogspot.com/

Length
    pixie/hip/tbone
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

It is of course a personal matter, but I find wet hair look too much like greasy hair, and someone who does not know you may think your hair are not clean.

I personally wash my hair in the evening to avoid that ; but if I am in a situation I cannot, and I really have towash my hair - or situation like a cruise where I have to wash my hair and them maybe do something like going to the restaurant, I try to have it as dry as possible, and put them up (folded) braid.
    Lady Celtycke Quenne of the Wolflands in the Order of The Long Haired Knights.

Length
    pixie/hip/TB
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

I do like the look of wet hair, but I think its kinda sexy... which may not be very proffessional, so it may not be good to wear to work.

Length
    1/4/short/n/a
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

I don't wear my hair down and wet in public. If I have to go out with wet hair I bun or braid it. Then I let it down when I get home so it can dry. The only way I wear my hear down wet is if I know I'll be in the car for a couple hours and it will have time to dry.

I just feel unkempt with wet hair. Like I didn't finish grooming.

On the other hand, I don't really care if someone else wears their hair wet in public. To each their own.

Length
    20"/43"/40"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/iii

Ugh this is something that has been bothering me lately. It might be because my hair is getting longer, it's the longest it's ever been. I like to wash my hair in the morning, pull the top back into a barrette and go to work. But I first started noticing my shirt would be so wet all the way down to nearly the bottom of the shirt. Then I started noticing my hair didn't look so sharp going to work in an office (fortunately an extremely laid back office that we rarely get anyone coming in the front door of). I've been washing my hair a bit more at night, but the problem with that is I have about 1/4 of my hair is course, it's pretty thick (4.5" circumfrance), so my hair is still rather damp by the time I go to bed - which is generally about 4 hours after I wash. Going to bed with wet/damp hair for some reason really bothers me and I generally don't sleep very well. Also many times when I wake up in the morning my hair is still freaking damp! I have no clue what I do to my hair that makes it retain that dampness throughout the night - perhaps I hug it or something, I don't know - it just drives me mad.
    I'm not ADHD, it's just... Do you like cookiesSewing Blog!

One-Handed Typist, NAK birdiefu's Avatar
    Length
    14/42/??
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I'm not a big fan of wet hair in public, but I've been seen by others with my hair wet and down and don't feel too weird about it. However, I won't go out with sopping wet or very wet hair- once it's had an hour or two to dry and the scalp hair is mostly dry, I will be okay with being seen. I think once the scalp hair is dried, even if my length is a bit 'stringy' with dampness, it wouldn't be taken as oily.

I don't know how other people's hair dries, but the top of mine driest fastest, and the length stays damp the longest. Actually, now that I think about it, I kinda like how my hair looks when the length is still mostly damp (not soaking wet) and my waves are hopping and it's neither poofy nor flat.

From BSL to Classic in 4 years, thanks LHC!
    Waiting for DH to come home safe from Iraq around May '10

Length
    shoul/hip/knee
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I think it really depends both on the individual's hair and on how they deal with wet hair. Naturally curly wet hair may not really look very much different than it does dry, while with straight hair it would be more noticable. Some people comb their hair wet and some, like me, wait until it's dry to detangle it. Thus mine would look messier than someone else's who combs it wet. Also, I add a small amount of oil to mine while it's wet which makes it look a tad stringier when wet than it otherwise would, though it looks perfectly clean once it's dried and combed. And then there's the fact that some people 'scruff up' better than others if you know what I mean.

So I have to answer with a firm maybe.

Length
    15"?/32.5"/tb
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

To me, it's not so much how wet hair looks on a particular person as the fact that... wet hair on people in public is just... odd, to me. I can't quite place why, but it is. I try to avoid going out in public with wet hair, but I will do it, and feel self-conscious about it. :P

Type
    1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Sky View Post
    I do like the look of wet hair, but I think its kinda sexy... which may not be very proffessional, so it may not be good to wear to work.
    I agree. You're also right that it's probably not the best look for work or formal events.

Oh, my vote was Yes, and I wear my hair wet in public.