Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How long ago did your hair growth journey start?

Learn more. Know less. foreveryours's Avatar
    Length
    ./71"/KNEE+
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default Re: How long ago did your hair growth journey start?

hi dreamingofcurls! new here too. me? over 7 years. among many things i've learned along the way, don't wear it down on windy days!

Length
    Bald/Buzz/TBL

On and Off all my life I started getting serious Jan 2020 but screwed up in July by bleaching it a few times so by September, I had to cut off hair that was almost shoulder length back to above chin.
    By that stage I was back into the ruining my hair. It's taken a while to get back into growing mode but I'm back on track so I guess you can say my journey is re starting as of jan 2021

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Welcome. My journey is as long as the date I joined here. Big hiccups along the way (dye, bleach, perms, henna/indigo) and so had quite some setbacks, but since 2015, September I hit classic length (my hair is layered heavily). Chopped to hip November 2016, and then grew it back out to classic, for real this time, March 2018. It's been wonderful ever since, since I have found a good way to maintain that length without me getting overwhelmed by the new (longer) growth.

It takes patience.

But... welcome!

Also, if you can't wash as little as once a week, wash more, it's about your hair and you have to do what's right for you. There are people on here who wash daily, or rather have to, and there is nothing wrong with that, whatsoever.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    20/24/??
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

Welcome! I’ve had chin to shoulder to armpit length hair since the early 90s. Never grew past APL because that was the length it would more or less start living in a boring ponytail and I’d always cut it. Thanks to the pandemic I hit APL this spring, couldn’t get a haircut, got tired of ponytails and started looking for ideas on how to use hairsticks to make proper buns. Found LHC, learned how to take care of my APL+ hair, can do some fun styles and am now almost at waist.

Length
    CBL/HL/HL
    Type
    2b/M/iii

A year and a half ago here on LHC.

I lost my first six months of progress but thankfully I seem to be reaching my goal (TBL) pretty fast now (a year and a half), and should be in there right for my two year anniversary here.

I might let it grow to classic after that during the second half of the no cut challenge, then probably cut back to TBL to get a new fresh hemline.

Length
    2/13/52
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

I started in 2014, chopped, dyed to a more natural color, grew out my actual natural color and chopped again to start fresh in 2015. From there it's been more or less steady, with intermittent henna since 2019. Pixie to tailbone in that time.

Length
    0.5"/27"/???
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Welcome!

Mine sort of started when I was about 13, and decided I would finally have long hair now that I was willing to take care of it myself (mum didn't like brushing my super tangly hair so it was in a lob until that point), I grew haphazardly without paying too much attention until it reached ~waist. Then the hair dying and chopping began.
    Finally my fresh start was Jan 2018, and since then I've been truly commited to caring for and growing my hair
    Last trim 20th Jun 2023.
    Buzz-SL[17"]-APL[20"]- BSL[25"]-WL[28"]-HL[31"]-TBL[34"]-CL[38"]
    Buzz 2018- 35"/TBL 2023

Length
    1"/36"/42"
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii/iii

Well my last cut was three years ago but I started thinking about growing out a year before that. I was learning about the Curly Girl Method and thinking that collarbone length would be great. That was the plan but once I got started growing I just kept growing, and growing, and growing....

Welcome to TLHC!

I guess I wanted long hair since I was 8, I remember I had hair that was around hip length then I wanted it cut to shoulder length. Of course I regretted it a few months later and wanted my long hair again :-/
    I don't remember much but I don't think my dad wanted me to grow out my hair because my hair never really made it past armpit length then, my actual growth journey only started when I was 9. I remember I felt like I was finally growing out my hair then my dad made my aunt cut it from around shoulder length to neck or chin length (after telling me it was just going to be a trim) and I threw a fit for the rest of the day because I hated it so much. I guess the tantrum worked because I haven't cut my hair since then! I became obsessed with haircare and finding ways to grow my hair faster and this lasted until I was 14. At that age I was going to the hairdresser for trims frequently and it was causing my hair to not grow longer than BSL. When I was 14 I don't know why but I really wanted to bleach the bottom half of my hair and make it platinum blonde or white. I wore hijab back then so it's not like I couldn't do it because of school and I wanted to do something 'out-there' to impress my friends I guess so I think at that point I was over the longhair phase. I'm honestly SO grateful that I didn't go through with that plan, especially when I see girls with bleached hair that looks super damaged. I think after that I just ignored my hair and didn't pay attention to it and it grew by itself. It was only when I was 16 that I realized that my hair had grown a lot because others were pointing it out, as it was already hip length or slightly longer.

Now i'm 18 so it's been 10 years of wanting long hair and 9 years of not getting significant haircuts. Also I remember when I was around 11 my mom told me my hair couldn't grow past waist length, but now my hair is past TBL :-P it's kind of satisfying not gonna lie.

Length
    pixie/waist/happy
    Type
    1c/C/iii

Welcome!

I've always wanted long hair since I was a child too, but I don't think I ever made it quite to BSL at its longest points because of impatience and a combo of thick hair + sensitive scalp. I did a lot of grow, get bored, chop. In 2016 I decided to get serious and grow out from a pixie, since my friend had found LHC and was growing her hair and tempting me with things like "even you can make a bun that stays up with just a stick, and you can get one that looks like a sword." I got almost to waist, then I couldn't take the chronic pain of having to contain my hair to food-safety standards every day at work, got an undercut that took out about half my hair, made it to waist, couldn't take the pain again and cut a bigger undercut and chopped to between shoulder and APL, and a couple months ago decided to start growing out the whole thing again since I got a job that allows me to keep my hair down if I need to.

But I've learned so much about taking care of my particular hair and getting it to play nice, so it's been worth every step backwards! Hopefully you'll find your journey much more straightforward than mine, hah.

"A green glass-tipped hairpin dropped onto her shoulder and then the floor. Drat. She had never been good at putting up her own hair." Provenance, Ann Leckie