Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't think I agree with our thickness classification system.

Length
    fried/WL35/48-tm
    Type
    1b/M/i/ii

Default I don't think I agree with our thickness classification system.

There is a considerable difference in thickness between a ii in the 2-3" range and a ii in the 3-4" range. I'm in the 2-3" range and there are plenty of ii's that look like they have twice as much hair as I do. They can do much different hairstyles than I can and hemlines look different. One braid on me looks dinky, let alone double braids that I've seen some ii's pull of looking just fantastic!

In short, I am in favor of further distinction.
    Any time is a good time for coffee time!
    ++++++.++++++.++++++

Long Haired Bible Thumper Debra83's Avatar
    Length
    ear/bsl/HIP
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i

Default Re: I don't think I agree with our thickness classification system.

I'm a little confused by it myself. I have fine hair, but LOTS of it, but my ponytail is thin when I squish it all together!
    Debra LHBT
    December 25, 2013 - length check -12t/1 cut
    Lady Aedos of the Pureheart Grace in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    PIXIE/CHIN/BSL
    Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

I totally agree with what OP is saying. That is why I label myself a i/ii. The last time I measure my pony it was a 2.5,'' which I believe is on the low end of ii. But then I see other iis who seem to have a massive amount of hair! I feel like I would be ridiculous to put a ii distinction if this person's hair type is a ii thickness distinction. I think i ii iii and iv might be more accurate. Or perhaps a iia and iib?

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

I must admit, it would seem more logical just to be able to type the ponytail circumference measurement, rather than the category it fits into.

can anyone explain the thickness classification system? please

Length
    pixie/bsl/waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by NouvelleNymphe2 View Post
    I totally agree with what OP is saying. That is why I label myself a i/ii. The last time I measure my pony it was a 2.5,'' which I believe is on the low end of ii. But then I see other iis who seem to have a massive amount of hair! I feel like I would be ridiculous to put a ii distinction if this person's hair type is a ii thickness distinction. I think i ii iii and iv might be more accurate. Or perhaps a iia and iib?
    I wonder if some of it is just wave-related volume? For example my hair looks huge in this pic but it's actually just waves poofing it up. My ponytail circumference was 2.75" when I took this picture.
    Someone with straight hair might appear to have less volume even if our ponytail circumferences are very similar.

Length
    pixie/bsl/waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by pepperminttea View Post
    I must admit, it would seem more logical just to be able to type the ponytail circumference measurement, rather than the category it fits into.
    I like that idea. There's a huuuuuge difference between 2" and 4" even though they fall into the same category.

You can calculate circle area based on circumference: http://www.calculatorsoup.com/calcul...ane/circle.php
    a 2" circumference is 0.32 inches squared.
    a 4" circumference is 1.27 inches squared.

So a 4" circumference is 4 times more hair than 2" circumference!!
    Last edited by jaine; April 3rd, 2011 at 11:31 AM.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I agree. I'm right at the edge of ii/iii in thickness (3.8 at last measurement). But I put iii because of the appearance and because I don't want the 2-inch ii to compare his/her hair to mine. ("What? Spidey's a ii? What's wrong with my ii hair?!")

Banned
    Type
    1a/C/iii

I think that the ii category should definitely be subdivided further. There is definitely a huge difference in both the appearance and actual feel of hair that is say 3.9 inches of circumference to hair that is only right on the dot of 2 inches in circumference. Also, the criteria for thin/medium/thick hair should also be revised. To say that only people who are a solid iii can be considered to have thick hair is really very limiting. I definitely think that people on the higher side of ii with say 3.8 or 3.9 inches of circumference should also be included in the thick hair category.

❀☾ⓟᵃᵑᵈᵒᴿᵃ ℒᵒᵑᶢᶩᵒᶜᵏᶳ☽❁ princessp's Avatar
    Length
    27"/39"/42"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

I'm a solid iii (4.5" measure last year) so my hair is thick, but I'm in there with people who have crazy thick hair (in a good way). First person I can think of is Ultrabella. My hair is definitely not as thick as theirs. I think if you have 5"+ your hair should be called crazy thick (lol just kidding) it really is very different than a 4"-4.5" though. SO the same is true on the other end of the spectrum. I'm wondering does thickness appear differently on different heights? Maybe there should be a height to thickness ratio ((okay that is maybe going a little too far).

With all that said thanks to this post I re-measured and my hair and it has somehow thickened since last year it is now closer to 5" (about 4.8"). So I guess this number can change.
    Last edited by princessp; April 3rd, 2011 at 11:56 AM. Reason: content
    Pandora LongLocks of the Forbidden Treasure in the Order of the Long Haired Knights