Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shedding everytime I wash my hair.

Length
    apl/apl/hip

Default Shedding everytime I wash my hair.

Okay, so I have taken to washing my scalp with shampoo every other day since I get buildup really fast (why?! i do not put anything on my scalp). I've checked and 95% of the hair is coming from my scalp (with a bulb on the end). It's not coming out in clumps, but almost. Can someone help me please, what's wrong?? Could it be my nails? I sometime scratch my scalp hard (it burns a bit then I rinse it) but only because it's so hard to get rid of buildup. Any ideas?

Length
    WL/hip/TB
    Type
    1a/C/ii

Default Re: Shedding everytime I wash my hair.

Did your hair not used to fall out when you washed it before, or something? Like, is this a new thing for you? I'd be more surprised to hear someone with medium to long hair can wash their hair without having a single strand shed than to hear about hair falling off "almost in clumps."

I am pretty sure everyone sheds when they wash their hair. Some more than others. Next time you wash your hair, count your sheds. If it's less than 100 it's probably nothing to worry about.

Length
    apl/apl/hip

it's just started maybe about 3-4 months ago, never happened before. i used to get it done at a salon. now i'm attempting to do it myself. could it be the change in product or change in water? luckily my hair is thick, but it has gotten thinner noticeably.

Length
    2in/43/42!
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

What are you using and what do you mean by 'build up'?

Length
    apl/apl/hip

to wash i use giovanni 50:50. i wash my scalp only. By build up I mean an itchy greasy scalp with a weird build up looking substance (only after 1 day!!).It never built up this fast before!

Length
    27/30.3/36
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

What did you used to get "done at the salon"? assuming you don't mean "washing your hair".............

Length
    chin/BSL/Floor
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

<< only sheds a couple hairs when she washes. I must be some freak of nature or something. lol

Slightly Frosted FrozenBritannia's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TB/45+
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

you could try a different shampoo or conditioner (or both).. like it you have been using 'cones, try cone free, or vice versa. Sulphate free seemed to help me but by then I had already lost most of my hair so get busy trying things!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I shed hairs every time I wash, although it's rarely alarming to me.

Here's what you do. Make sure your hair is well combed/brushed out before you wash it. Leave it in your favorite position for washing (I'm usually standing upright in the shower.) Get a shower comb/any plastic comb with blunt, wide-spaced teeth and no rough edges. Apply shampoo (I mix mine with warm water and squirt it all over my scalp). Now comb over your scalp - but not your length - with the shower comb. Comb in one direction only - the direction that your hair is laying. Then lift the comb and return to a new position. Repeat this until you've combed over your entire scalp. You can press the teeth into your scalp as firmly as you want to because the blunt teeth will not scratch your scalp.

You can comb conditioner through your length if you want to. At this length, I usually don't, but I did today.

Mine shed as well, but it's not as bad as it use to be. My hair is growing, so I don't worry about it. You may want to try a sulfate-free shampoo such the Shea Moisture line.