Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: updo with a hang-down?

Length
    6"/40"/???
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

Default updo with a hang-down?

so i have about 42in. (106 cm) of fairly thick, straight hair. since i am only 5ft (153cm) tall, this means my hair is mid-butt length. when it's down, i sit on it, i eat it, i get it in my drink and/or food... etc etc etc.

i keep it up about 93% of the time. it's just waaay easier to deal with that way. i can't even put it up in a ponytail or braid as it still gets in the way.

however, this means generally speaking, people have no idea how long my hair really is. i'm damn proud of it, and i want to show it off. is there some updo out there that will keep my hair out of the way and yet still show off its length?

any ideas?

Length
    ears/36.5/Knees
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Default Re: updo with a hang-down?

Hello,

You could part your hair at the earlobes( and go up the crown, or straight across the back of your head depending on thickness) then secure it with an elastic, clip, or other such thing you have hanging around. This would keep the front part of your hair from falling in your face, and usually keeps the hanging down half behind your shoulders.

You can do a half french braid, with the front half pulled into the braid then stop pulling it in and braid that part all the way down.

A regular french braid looks nice too and you can show off the length and only have to contain just the braid. You can fold, and tuck the ends up under the braid and secure with a hair stick, put it in a bun if you are really sick of it then let it down later.

Just a few of the things I tend to do with mine.

CindyLea

You could do a ponytail, then flip it with a topsy-tail thingy, then braid the length. That will keep it contained and still show off most of the length

Length
    26-31/Chin/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/ii

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...e&articleid=36 You can leave all/some of the hair hanging down from a sock bun, easily.

I know what you mean about the ponytail/braid getting in the way. Therefore any thing you do would probably have to shorten it, which would not show off the full length, but at the same time would be just as stunning because then you have an updo as well as the part that's hanging down.

There's this http://dreamweaverbraiding.com/braids/lhknot.htm bun/braid.

Basically, if you do a knot the tail shouldn't cause the whole thing to fall out, so try all sorts of knots to find out which one(s) you like.
    (Student) trapeze artist, acrobat, contortionist and more. Check out me and my partner here!

Length
    20/Knee/Ankle
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Learn to braid darlin'. I have knee length hair and whenever I go out, this is how I do it.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

How about a Bunny tail? Basically, you twist the hair to form the first circle of a bun, then pull the length through the middle (very similar to the Dreamweaver knotted braid, but not braided). Secure the bun portion with a hairstick or pins, and let the remaining length dangle free.

I'm still a fan of braids, and they work well until they reach the floor. They can get themselves into trouble if not watched, but a braid is far easier to keep track of than loose hair, and quite easy to manage with practice.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

My hair isn't as long as yours, but I like to do the "bunny tail" do Anje mentioned to wear my hair up and still show off some length. I also like to do a style I call "the ampersand" which is basically a figure eight bun with a tail hanging down. Neither of these shows exactly how long your hair is, but they do show that it must be pretty long. You can also braid your hair and wrap it around your head, which you need very long hair to do. You'll certainly make people wonder how long your hair is!
    Lady Philyra of the Blessed Parchment in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Proud member of the Renegray gang!

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

I've never liked half-ups on me, but oddly I like the look of me holding back the sides of my hair with clips. It keeps it out of my face and secure, but it shows off my length (not that there is any).

Length
    Shldr/CL/Knee
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I've tried the bunny tail (without knowing it was called that way, I was just thinking about it as "a knot in my hair") and I liked it; another style I tried was simply securing with a hairstick the first coil of a bun and letting the rest of the hair hang down - it's in the first pic of my album, with the link to the inspirational pic of Dianyla and Trolleypup both with a similar do.

Type
    1b/F/ii

I third the Bunny tail, it's a nice look and a comfortable 'do. I usually secure it with a Ficcarissimo, holds very well.