Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soft Water Help!

Length
    14/35/44
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

Default Soft Water Help!

Can anyone direct me to info on how to help my hair cope with new super soft water? Hair feels gross, how can I fix this?

The water in my apartment is very soft, and I'm used to really hard water. Will my hair adapt? Is there anything I can do about this?

Or is this really better for me, and I'm just not used to it?
    Tailbone, with deliciously oily strands...hmm...I should probably take a picture with clean hair. At some point. Next stop, classic! And maybe some henna...

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

Default Re: Soft Water Help!

Does it feel really slippery? I am not sure, but I think it is better for you. I have really hard water and it does a number on my hair and skin.
    Change is the only constant.

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

I think soft water is generally better on hair, partially because it's acidic, but you might have to tweak your routine to cope with it. What is your routine like right now? That'll help us to help you change it to deal with the hard water.
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I have very soft water too, but I have never tried very hard water so this water feels normal to me. Mostly people here seem to complaine about hard water which can leave mineral build-up behind.

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

It's really better for you. Soft water won't be leaving mineral deposits on your hair. It will probably take some getting used to. I live in a soft water area but visited in a hard water area for a couple of weeks, and I thought it killed my hair; it felt so different. But by the time I was home for a couple of weeks, my hair felt back to normal. How your hair feels with soft water will become normal if you stay long enough.

Length
    15.5?/Shldr/30-34
    Type
    1b/1c/F/iii

Do you mean "slimey"? I have relatives who live in a soft water area and use a water softener on top of it and my hair feels disgusting when I visit them. However, shampoo bars help since it's slightly alkaline, so it slightly balances it out so I don't have to do a vinegar rinse.
    Fast typer.
    I have fine hair that I'm working on growing long!

Length
    short/short/long!
    Type
    2a/2b/C/ii

It will get better and your will love it! When I first got our softener,it was "different"hair,
    but now,I cant imagine having hard or even slightly hard water to wash,bathe or shampoo
    with. Give it some time!

Deb

Length
    9/APL/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Hmm, I don't really like soft water either. My hair becomes so limp and it gets greasy faster. I use cornstarch those mornings when my hair looks like it needs it

I wonder if adding salt to your shampoo could help too.

Lets see how long this little lump can get. Viva la natural!
    Lady Nemetona, Adept of the Henna Flame in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    14/35/44
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

It is limp, and clumpy looking like it has a lot of oil in it.

I use CV shampoo bars, right now Cafe Moreno. I'm thinking maybe it is just harder to wash the soap out than I'm used to, and maybe its just there.

I rinsed as thouroughly as I could last night, and did an extra rinse with V05 chamomile green tea conditioner, and then rinsed everything out as well as possible.

My hair feels softer, but limp and clumpy. I just got my hair back to decent looking. Gah!

If its better and I'll adapt, that's great, but right now I feel like I need another shower.
    Tailbone, with deliciously oily strands...hmm...I should probably take a picture with clean hair. At some point. Next stop, classic! And maybe some henna...

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

You know, I think this might be why my hair's been complaining at my shampoo bar recently! Ever since I came back to Scotland (soft water, compared to the hard at home) my hair's been getting greasy really quickly.

Last year and the year before I don't recall having this problem, and in the spring I stretched my washings out to once a week, so I think your hair should adapt. In the meantime, I recommend using arrowroot powder (or something similar, like cornstarch) to hide the greasiness and help your hair adapt. Also try brushing it to move the oil through it, and wear it up if you don't already.
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB