Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So apparently my parents and my older sis hate my hair and want me to cut it. :/

Length
    APL/APL/TBL!
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Angry So apparently my parents and my older sis hate my hair and want me to cut it. :/

Not that I'm going to. I like my hair, and that's what matters. Still, it's discouraging, to have 3 people whom I love tell me that my hair has gotten too long (um, it's not even waist length yet, so it's still short) and that it might be 'unmanageable' during college. And my sister told me that my hair was boring, too thick, and texture-less. I apparently need to get it thinned, or chopped to my shoulders, because right now my hair is ugly. I also need to wear it down more and 'style' it. Like, what, crown braids aren't a style? Nor are braided cinnabuns?! They were all so mean to me last night, and I'm just mad.

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Default Re: So apparently my parents and my older sis hate my hair and want me to cut it. :/

....Apparently they aren't capable of minding their own business....hugs! I have family who say much the same. Nothing ugly about your hair, it is amazing
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Finally APL, next is BSL Sterlyn's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/23/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: So apparently my parents and my older sis hate my hair and want me to cut it. :/

* I am sorry that your family treated you like that, I find in my own life that few can cut as deeply as family members.

Your hair is gorgeous, that is a statement of fact. If you ever choose to cut it into a different style it should be because that is what you want for yourself, no one else's opinion counts.

Length
    23.5/25/28
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Is that your hair in your avatar? It's BEAUTIFUL! Your family are crazy if they think your hair is anything but.

Anyway, it's not their hair and not their business. What they said to you was extremely rude and out of bounds, in my opinion.

Length
    5/5/TBD
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

My mother dislikes my hair too, no matter what I do with it.
    It's likely that your family is the same way; just do what you want and let them deal with it. Their opinions are hurtful but ultimately are not the law.
    I'm sorry they treated you this way, and I hope you can learn to be happy with your wonderfully wavy and long hair, despite their annoyingness.
    Pixie to Ears to Chin to Shoulders to APL to BSL (to Waist?)
    Current challenge(s): No Trim 2020
    Last trim/cut: February 2020

Length
    waist/clsc/???
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I'm not sure how college is different from high school in terms of how manageable your hair is?
    Your sister doesn't know what she's talking about, your avatar certainly doesn't look "texture-less."
    It sounds like none of them know what they're talking about. Ignore, change the subject, "so how about that local sports team?"

("Not even waist length yet, so it's still short." *snicker.* You know you are an LHC member when...)

Length
    shldr/tbl?/ftl?
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Textureless? I love your waves in your avatar pic! I am also a 2a and I love it. As for too thick, I'm envious of your thickness. Thick hair looks so wonderful at long lengths! You can see plenty of proof in this community. If it's "unmanageable" then it's your problem not theirs. I know you love your family and I mean no offense to them, but it's YOUR hair. If you want to put up with it, that's your call. You could tell them maybe that once it gets to be too much for you, you'll stop growing it? I also sympathize. My mom is always telling me that my hair needs to be cut back to my shoulders where it "looks good" because it's too thin to have long. You can be polite when they criticize, but know that your hair is beautiful (as proven by previous comments) and if you like it long then you can keep it long. Hang in there, FallingDarkness.
    Lady Ambrella of the Jewel-Strewn Beaches in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Length
    CBL/32"/32"
    Type
    2c/3a/C/ii

Your hair is beautiful and I wish I had your texture!! It sounds like they just like the short, layered, blow-dried look. Which is kinda funny because that would eat up way more time in the mornings than just putting it up in a bun :P They shouldn't have been mean to you
    *Last box dye - 12/2013, Last highlights - 05/2014, Dyed hair gone! - 11/2018 * Goldwell Kerasilk! - 09/16, 04/17, 08/17, 06/18*

Length
    16"?/29"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I think we who love our hair long sometimes have to take a deep breath and realize that the majority of the people around us are not long hair fans or are, at best, ambivalent to it. I know how much comments like this hurt. If you can, try to say as little as possible and just smile at the nay sayers. Family often feels it OK to say hurtful things "in our best interest". Your hair is lovely and I hope this doesn't discourage you. Try to keep your hair up around those family members. I got the same comment about long hair being too unmanageable to care for in college. Believe me, you really can go to college and have long hair. I'm sorry your family made these comments.

I am not here to decorate your world

Length
    SL/CL/KL+
    Type
    1b/M/iii

Your hair is absolutely stunning. I would love to have hair like yours, mine is just plain brown and straight. Your hair is something to be very proud of, its looks well taken care of and beautiful.