Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Healthier hair = less curls/waves??

Type
    2c/C/iii

Question Healthier hair = less curls/waves??

Okay, ever since I cut out the SLS (which made my hair incredibly dry and frizzy) and went mostly WO, my wave pattern has sort of become disrupted and less wavy. My hair would often have corkscrew-y ends before, even when I brushed them, whereas now there's hardly any sign of curly ends at all, and my hair is unable to really hold curls the way it used to (if I try to pincurl it now it looks awful, and simply brushing it makes it go back to wavy again). Before, when I pincurled, the curls would last for several days, even though I slept on them.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that my hair used to "clump" together in bigger sections before, as opposed to the tiny sections I get now. Or maybe the sebum/moisture/oils weigh down my hair more, messing with my wave pattern?

Has anyone else experienced something like this?

I really like not having dry/frizzy/fly-away hair, but I miss my wave pattern and the ability to hold a curl!
    Last edited by Thinthondiel; December 27th, 2009 at 09:17 AM.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Healthier hair = less curls/waves??

My guess would be that it's the sebum weighing down your hair.

Type
    2c/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    My guess would be that it's the sebum weighing down your hair.
    I think you're probably right. I guess maybe I should clarify and then try using my all-natural, SLS-free shampoo for a while, to see if that makes a difference. I occasionally use it now, but I only use it when my hair feels like it needs more than a WO rinse (but not so bad it needs clarifying), so I guess there's always some sebum in my hair even after I've used it.

Type
    1a/1b/M/C/iii

I'd also think it's the sebum. Maybe you could try a tiny tiny bit of shampoo diluted with water before you go for clarifying.... rinse your hair with it, like you'd normally do a WO rinse. Sometimes I think I need to clarify my whole length like mad, but I've a very dry scalp and need to dilute my shampoo like hell. Today I used the tinest bit of shampoo (SLS and cone free) diluted with 200 ml of water and my hair is very clean now.

Howeve,r if you use SLS-free stuff, you could need a bit more to clarify. Maybe clarifying once with Baking Soda or diluted SLS-shampoo would be better. And then doing it occassionaly when you feel the need to do so. In between, I'd stay mostly water only and wash with extremly diluted shampoo maybe once a week.
    At true tailbone!

Type
    2c/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Gothic Lolita View Post
    I'd also think it's the sebum. Maybe you could try a tiny tiny bit of shampoo diluted with water before you go for clarifying.... rinse your hair with it, like you'd normally do a WO rinse. Sometimes I think I need to clarify my whole length like mad, but I've a very dry scalp and need to dilute my shampoo like hell. Today I used the tinest bit of shampoo (SLS and cone free) diluted with 200 ml of water and my hair is very clean now.

Howeve,r if you use SLS-free stuff, you could need a bit more to clarify. Maybe clarifying once with Baking Soda or diluted SLS-shampoo would be better. And then doing it occassionaly when you feel the need to do so. In between, I'd stay mostly water only and wash with extremly diluted shampoo maybe once a week.
    Yeah, when I said clarify, I meant using an SLS shampoo. I do clarify occasionally, and my hair is always drier, but wavier, afterwards. I thought I'd just clarify to make sure I get rid of the sebum before I try shampooing with my SLS-free shampoo on a regular basis.

I don't really need to dilute my SLS-free shampoo for the sake of my hair. It's all-natural and contains lots of oils and stuff, so it doesn't dry out my hair or my scalp - I can even use it without using conditioner afterwards. I might dilute it anyway, though, if I can get away with it and still get my wave pattern back.

My own hair loses it wave when it is longer and I have cut out any layers.

Also the time of year affects my hair. In dryer months my hair tends to go straighter and in humid months it is curly.
    Missing person advocates and crime discussion
    http://www.justicequest.net/forums

Some people notice a texture change when they use a different washing method, but there are a lot of variable to consider. Norway, in December? I would blame the winter weather first.

Length
    21/34/36
    Type
    1a/M/ii/iii

I agree with the people above. It's just moisture weight you're feeling.

Even though my hair is pin straight it's not like the world's healthiest or anything

Length
    fried/WL35/48-tm
    Type
    1b/M/i/ii

I also agree with the "moisture weight." I used to get nice little curls here and there (even when it was much longer!) but I started using more conditioner and such, and suddenly it's too heavy to hold up curls at all..... not even little waves.

Length
    12"/42"/Term!
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

i have read that hair with low porosity (healthy) does not hold a curl as well as hair with high porosity. so could it be that your hair has "repaired" itself by absorbing oil or conditioners/moisturizers (if you use any)? in this case your hair might be heavier because it is denser, not necessarily coated with oil...but i don't know if it really works that way; maybe someone with more knowledge could confirm/deny.

my hair won't hold a curl for more than half an hour, and it always frustrated me, but ever since i read about the low porosity...i feel a bit proud that my hair is so stubborn
    River, honey? He's putting the hair away now.