Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rose Vinegar Hair Rinse

Length
    Pixie/MBL/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

Default Rose Vinegar Hair Rinse

A lady I know on social media posted this recipe for homemade rose vinegar! It sounds really cool and I'd like to try it. I just need to find a fermentation/pickling crock and weight. I haven't noticed much difference using vinegar rinses in the past, but it may be because I used pasteurized store-brand ACV.

I quoted her entire post, without editing, below:

"I made 1/2gallon with my vintage pink rose that is very fragrant and 1gallon slightly less fragrant but dark red rose and mixed them after fermentation. It smells like roses and vinegar. I use this as a replacement for commercial hair conditioner.

Pack about 1 part fresh rose petals to 2 parts water (or 1pack dried rose petals to 3 parts waters) add 1/4C sugar mix well. Secure rose petals submerged with grape leaves or clean stones or a fermenting weight. Cover and let set out of direct sunlight at room temp for btwn 14-30 days. It should smell like vinegar. Strain rose petals away and bottle up.

To use as conditioner after shampooing add about 1C vinegar to 3parts water and work into hair and scalp. You can rinse or let air dry as is. The vinegar smell will dissipate and you will smell like roses."
    Pixie (April 2020) --> SL --> APL --> MBL --> Waist --> Hip
    -----------------------
    Last trim: October 24, 2023. Photo: February 13, 2024

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default Re: Rose Vinegar Hair Rinse

Oh, I might have to try that for eating. I've made some different fruit vinegars that are really nice, especially plum.

You can use a gallon glass jar for fermenting. A zip lock bag filled with marbles works pretty well for weights. For smaller amounts, you can get glass weights on amazon that fit wide mouth mason quart jars.

E-jen buckets are amazing if you are into fermenting. I have one for kimchi, need to get a small one for vinegar.

Length
    Pixie/MBL/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    Oh, I might have to try that for eating. I've made some different fruit vinegars that are really nice, especially plum.

You can use a gallon glass jar for fermenting. A zip lock bag filled with marbles works pretty well for weights. For smaller amounts, you can get glass weights on amazon that fit wide mouth mason quart jars.

E-jen buckets are amazing if you are into fermenting. I have one for kimchi, need to get a small one for vinegar.
    Thank you for the advice! I do have mason quart canning jars!

Fruit vinegar sounds delicious, especially for vinaigrette dressing...mmmm.. And I would love to do kimchi!
    -----------------------

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Yes, the plum vinegar would be incredible in a vinaigrette. I also made a cranberry and orange but I'm not crazy about it, its kinda bitter.
    I want to use wild apples and make a bunch of acv this fall.

Here is the kimchi recipe I use. Its pretty dang spicy. Use half the amount of pepper flakes if you don't like really hot.
    https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/tongbaechu-kimchi

Length
    Pixie/MBL/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

Yes, the plum vinegar would be incredible in a vinaigrette. I also made a cranberry and orange but I'm not crazy about it, its kinda bitter.
    I want to use wild apples and make a bunch of acv this fall.

Here is the kimchi recipe I use. Its pretty dang spicy. Use half the amount of pepper flakes if you don't like really hot.
    https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/tongbaechu-kimchi
    Thank you!!! I've really got the munchies now!
    -----------------------

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Thanks for sharing the rose vinegar recipe. I raided my rose bush this morning and made a small batch.
    I have saved the mother from my other vinegar batches so I added a little piece, it will help jump start the process.

Here is a quart jar with one of those glass weights I mentioned. The weird pink thing is the mother.

Length
    Pixie/MBL/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

Thanks for sharing the rose vinegar recipe. I raided my rose bush this morning and made a small batch.
    I have saved the mother from my other vinegar batches so I added a little piece, it will help jump start the process.

Here is a quart jar with one of those glass weights I mentioned. The weird pink thing is the mother.

Super cool! Let us know how it does on your hair (or food). I'm going to live vicariously through you until I can get my fermentation stuff! lol
    -----------------------

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I checked my potion today, it smells so good. Realized the jar was way too full so I moved it to a bigger jar. Now I can harvest more roses and make even more.
    I've given up on keeping everything submerged, I'll just stir it every couple days. Once its fully fermented, I'll strain it then let it sit to work it's magic.

I don't suppose I'll have anything even close to vinegar for at least a month, maybe longer. It all depends on how fast the rose ferments, need alcohol before it turns to vinegar.

Length
    Pixie/MBL/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

I wonder if you could make rose liquor? A potion for the body while the hair gets a vinegar potion!

When I finally try to ferment/make vinegar, I'm worried I won't be able to because my house is so warm and I live in a hot, humid climate (no basement or root cellar possible). I hope it doesn't spoil the fermentation? One time I canned food and realized that I could never keep my home at the 70-or-so degrees needed to not hasten spoilage, so we ended up eating it all right away--which defeats the purpose!
    -----------------------

Type
    2a/F/i

Wow! I have been using homemade Rose Vinegar in my wash basin for years. Just a drop added to water washes my face wonderfully well. Also use it in the bathtub for both my hair and body. It is so gentle.