Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turmeric On Hair

Length
    23.75/24/30
    Type
    2a/F/i

Default Re: Turmeric On Hair

This is curious. I have very ashy light blonde hair that I wish was more golden. I wonder if adding a bit in my conditioner would give me some golden tones if I used it with CO washing daily?

Henna gone, at APL now!
    You often meet your destiny on the road you've taken to avoid it

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by raingirl View Post
    This is curious. I have very ashy light blonde hair that I wish was more golden. I wonder if adding a bit in my conditioner would give me some golden tones if I used it with CO washing daily?
    It's possible, but one thing to keep in mind with herbal dyes is that they have a short life span on that dye. Henna, which is as potent as you can get, is much weaker after a day, and is pretty much dead and won't stain even white cloth by day 3. Something like tumeric probably has a dye life span of a day or two, tops.

If you wanted to try it the best route is to mix it into a smaller bottle of your conditioner before each time you wash. If you dump a bunch of it into a 16oz bottle of conditioner it will probably only work the first time or two, tops.

Length
    23.75/24/30
    Type
    2a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    It's possible, but one thing to keep in mind with herbal dyes is that they have a short life span on that dye. Henna, which is as potent as you can get, is much weaker after a day, and is pretty much dead and won't stain even white cloth by day 3. Something like tumeric probably has a dye life span of a day or two, tops.

If you wanted to try it the best route is to mix it into a smaller bottle of your conditioner before each time you wash. If you dump a bunch of it into a 16oz bottle of conditioner it will probably only work the first time or two, tops.
    Thanks, didn't know that! I may try it this summer and see.

Henna gone, at APL now!

Length
    23.75/24/30
    Type
    2a/F/i

bah! Stupid double post!
    Last edited by raingirl; May 15th, 2013 at 08:55 AM.

Henna gone, at APL now!

Length
    13"/39½"/47"
    Type
    3c/F/ii

Interesting question. I'm not so sure you can compare the dyeing effects of henna and the pigments in turmeric. The latter act more like an ink, being true pigments. I speculate, the henna is more difficult to reverse chemically, than the pigments in turmeric (for a change in the bottle or in the hair).

The pigments in turmeric are: curcumin (CC), demethoxycurcumin (DMC) and bis-demethoxycurcumin (BDMC). Put another way - xanthophylls and carotenoids. Turmeric is known for turning yellow when coming into contact with acids such as vinegar, but when in contact wth base substances like soap, it turns into red. The different pigments in the turmeric become less or more active, respectively. I suspect if you mix it into a bottle of condish, it may change its color unexpectedly due to the composition of the condish, but it doesnt really stop dyeing. I think its dyeing effect is pretty strong and durable. In fact, the commercial opinion is that the turmeric pigments are "very stable". They are used in a lot of products like oils, foods, cosmetics or soaps etc. It is both water- and etanol-soluble. I therefore dont expect much change in dyeing-effect for quite some time, if you would mix it in a bottle of condish. I might have to do a test with this :-)

/ CMG

I remember reading lots of posts about tumeric being used to remove hair, especially facial hair. for ex http://www.ehow.com/way_5714127_reme...-turmeric.html, this is just the first link who popped out in my google search.

Length
    10/15/?
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by jaquelines View Post
    I remember reading lots of posts about tumeric being used to remove hair, especially facial hair. for ex http://www.ehow.com/way_5714127_reme...-turmeric.html, this is just the first link who popped out in my google search.
    Turmeric is popular in India to remove hair and retard hair growth, so yeah you are right! People use it quite a lot to make skin smooth and soft and I found the same in Bali island of indonesia. There too, its used for the same purpose and never on hair, so please,maybe we need to use it with caution!

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

If I remember right, there was a bunch of experiments that came down to tumeric making the hair look lighter and it was the abrasive action of scrubbing with it that did any removal.

I used tumeric on my head for ages, no ill effects

Length
    Chin/Hip/TBL
    Type
    3b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    If I remember right, there was a bunch of experiments that came down to tumeric making the hair look lighter and it was the abrasive action of scrubbing with it that did any removal.

I used tumeric on my head for ages, no ill effects
    I read several reviews on it being used for hair removal and it seemed pretty unsuccessful and was all from scrubbing really. It seemed fine for my hair .

Chin-Shoulder-APL-BSL-Waist?-Hip-Tailbone--GOALOn to classic?

Length
    Chin/TBL/MTL
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Bumping this old topic up!
    Considering redying my hair some funky colour at some point, and thinking trying an orange fading either into my natural hair ends (which are quite blondeish), and giving it the occasional yellow boost at the end with turmeric (or saffron if I find some!). Anyway, bumping in case anyone has any other turmeric experiences they fancy sharing
    ~APL - BSL - Waist - Hip - BCL -TBL - Classic - Beyond~ Currently at 43 inches
    Lady Sitir, Keeper of the Cloud-Grazing Flock in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    YouTube:My Science Project|Hair Videos|Mental Health Videos