Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: club soda for rinsing hair out

Length
    buzz/ear/WL+
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Default Re: club soda for rinsing hair out

Quote Originally Posted by manderly View Post
    Club soda is carbonated water. It goes flat in about a day after opening it. It won't get rancid, it won't make you sticky, but I don't see the purpose of it.
    I tried this after a morning swim because I usually smell like pool all day, even when I shampoo. I didn't even wash my hair after club-soda-ing it, and it was really nice all day.

I got a 6-pack of mini bottles (10 oz., I think), and just took a little bottle into the shower with me. I rinsed off, detangled my hair under cool running water, and then warmed up the water, and cracked open the little bottle. I poured it all over my head, and then rinsed off, and did the rest of my shower (washed face, washed pits 'n bits) and dried off and went about my day. When my hair dried, it just smelled like clean hair, not like pool. And it was soft and shiny. I actually left my hair down until I had to adjust a laser instead of braiding it into submission like a normal pool day.

Canada Dry Club Soda is in a blue-labeled bottle and is pretty classic. It's carbonated water with mineral salts, and no sugar. It'll go flat, but not rancid. I keep it in the fridge after it's opened because I also like to drink it.

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Good to know. Maybe I'll give it a try one day.

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

yeah I keep mine in the fridge too (I got a big bottle, so I pour out some and keep it cold in the meanwhile).
    Wetting hair alone does not prevent the chlorine to get to the hair, or damage it. If it was that simple, there would be any trouble with it. Oiling hair or applying conditioner before swimming won't help that much either, but help contaminate the pool water (so thankfully not many people know about it).
    BTW, while we are on the topic, I contacted speedo regarding chlorine leaking into the swim cap (I got the special long hair swim cap for my apparently long hair) and they replied that they are sorry, and swim caps are meant to keep hair off the face but not prevent chlorine to get into the hair, and that they "have passed [my] comments on to the relevant department for you, it may be something Speedo may take on board in the near future."
    Yeah, right.
    So yeah, now I employ the club soda full time. I intend to find cone-free conditioner that lists EDTA to condition my hair after the pool, it can only help.

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by Madame J View Post
    I tried this after a morning swim because I usually smell like pool all day, even when I shampoo. I didn't even wash my hair after club-soda-ing it, and it was really nice all day.

I got a 6-pack of mini bottles (10 oz., I think), and just took a little bottle into the shower with me. I rinsed off, detangled my hair under cool running water, and then warmed up the water, and cracked open the little bottle. I poured it all over my head, and then rinsed off, and did the rest of my shower (washed face, washed pits 'n bits) and dried off and went about my day. When my hair dried, it just smelled like clean hair, not like pool. And it was soft and shiny. I actually left my hair down until I had to adjust a laser instead of braiding it into submission like a normal pool day.

Canada Dry Club Soda is in a blue-labeled bottle and is pretty classic. It's carbonated water with mineral salts, and no sugar. It'll go flat, but not rancid. I keep it in the fridge after it's opened because I also like to drink it.
    Great to know how well it worked for you and that the condition of your hair was so good after using it. Canada Dry and Schweppes are the same company.

Length
    buzz/ear/WL+
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    Great to know how well it worked for you and that the condition of your hair was so good after using it. Canada Dry and Schweppes are the same company.
    That's good to know. Canada Dry is easier for my husband to remember, and I know the label is blue, so he'll get the right thing. I don't drive to work, and he does, so he can more easily get last-minute, forgotten items than I can, and I didn't want to end up with a six-pack of tonic water or something.

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by Madame J View Post
    That's good to know. Canada Dry is easier for my husband to remember, and I know the label is blue, so he'll get the right thing. I don't drive to work, and he does, so he can more easily get last-minute, forgotten items than I can, and I didn't want to end up with a six-pack of tonic water or something.
    The company is not important. The ingredients are. Most true club sodas have the same ingredients with only slight differences and the pH would be the same or similar, so no worries if you need to change brands. Just check out the ingredient list and look for sodium bicarbonate (baking soda).

The beauty of club soda is that in spite of the baking soda, it is acidic, pre-mixed, no wondering about dilutions, dissolving the baking soda or worrying about open cuticles, dry or tangled hair. It neutralizes chlorine, removes sea water mineral build-up, helps to remove product build-up, is reported to help reduce brassiness for blondes, is cheap and readily available. What is not to like about it?.

ETA: I almost forgot. It is also reported to be a great window cleaner, helps remove stains from clothing and can be used as a "green" cleaner around the house.
    Last edited by ktani; May 26th, 2009 at 07:59 PM.

Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    The company is not important. The ingredients are. Most true club sodas have the same ingredients with only slight differences and the pH would be the same or similar, so no worries if you need to change brands. Just check out the ingredient list and look for sodium bicarbonate (baking soda).

The beauty of club soda is that in spite of the baking soda, it is acidic, pre-mixed, no wondering about dilutions, dissolving the baking soda or worrying about open cuticles, dry or tangled hair. It neutralizes chlorine, removes sea water mineral build-up, helps to remove product build-up, is reported to help reduce brassiness for blondes, is cheap and readily available. What is not to like about it?.

ETA: I almost forgot. It is also reported to be a great window cleaner, helps remove stains from clothing and can be used as a "green" cleaner around the house.
    can I use it diluted with my tap water mixed in a reused water bottle? if I use whole bottles of the club soda straight, I will go through bottles quite rapidly, I have long hair & in the summer I go to the beach/in the ocean almost every day. I dont drive, & dont get out to the store that often so going through alot would be awkward for me.

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Sossity View Post
    can I use it diluted with my tap water mixed in a reused water bottle? if I use whole bottles of the club soda straight, I will go through bottles quite rapidly, I have long hair & in the summer I go to the beach/in the ocean almost every day. I dont drive, & dont get out to the store that often so going through alot would be awkward for me.
    I think the ingredients are already very diluted. You don't need to use a whole can though, I find that half a cup is enough to saturate my waist/hip hair completely.

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

Length
    16/32.5/50
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

Please don't oil hair before getting in a swimming pool unless you own the pool! The owner (and other swimmers) might not be happy if there is any oil floating about, no matter how little.

Mad SCIENTIST!
    Length
    1/26.5/35
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Are you sure it's enough to notice? Humans generate an awful lot of oil...